Matches suspended

atherstoneram

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

Paris Saint Germain awarded French Title

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52484926

According to a comment below that article*, The French League had it already written within their rules to crown the team in top spot, should the season ever be cut short, for whatever reason... The only European league to have such a pre-existing rule!

*No idea how true that is (And no inclination to do any research!)... it could just be a bloke on the internet talking poo, of course!

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

According to a comment below that article*, The French League had it already written within their rules to crown the team in top spot, should the season ever be cut short, for whatever reason... The only European league to have such a pre-existing rule!

*No idea how true that is (And no inclination to do any research!)... it could just be a bloke on the internet talking poo, of course!

I smell BS, Had a quick google search, And came up with this from the Independant.

The French league season has been cancelled after prime minister Edouard Philippe confirmed matches would not be allowed to resume amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

French football chiefs have yet to decide whether to award the league title to runaway leaders Paris Saint-Germain or follow the Dutch route of not declaring champions for this season after their league was cancelled last week.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

I smell BS, Had a quick google search, And came up with this from the Independant.

The French league season has been cancelled after prime minister Edouard Philippe confirmed matches would not be allowed to resume amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

French football chiefs have yet to decide whether to award the league title to runaway leaders Paris Saint-Germain or follow the Dutch route of not declaring champions for this season after their league was cancelled last week.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Lyon taking legal action. 

No matter what way the EPL and EFL jump, I reckon a lawsuit wont be far away unless the clubs affected get some sweeteners thrown in. 

9 hours ago, TramRam said:

I was about to say that that was old news from the other day, and that they have now made that decision, but then realised what (I presume) you are getting at... "Why would they have to decide, if the ruling was already in place?"  Very good point, sir!  ?  BS it may well be.  ?

7 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

No matter what way the EPL and EFL jump, I reckon a lawsuit wont be far away unless the clubs affected get some sweeteners thrown in. 

Totally agree, and have thought the same from the very start.  There is no solution that will suit all.  Damned if they do, etc, etc...

Just a minor correction: Lyon are CONSIDERING legal action I believe.

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just a minor correction: Lyon are CONSIDERING legal action I believe.

Apologies, I was reading a piece about the Lyon chairman and the journalist was 100% convinced he would go through the courts. 

I don't think any lawsuit would win in court even if it went to the highest court in the country, clubs could shout and scream as much as they like but safety of the populace would i imagine be more paramount (unless a guarantee could be given that no one is at risk of catching or spreading C19 which of course they can't) and no credence would be given as to restarting the season just so teams could gain promotion/suffer relegation.

Yes it would be stated there is a huge financial cost at stake but that would pale into significance when it comes to maintaining the ongoing fight to protect the health and safety of the nation .

Even if matches were to be played behind locked gates you would still get fans turning up outside just to see the teams getting off the coaches etc, people can't be trusted which has been apparent as witnessed with current lockdown rules 

The French decision sounds pretty reasonable to me given the circumstances. I suspect once the talking is done we will do the same or similar.  Then we might start next season a little late and behind closed doors.  ... I’m betting we won’t be able to go safely to a ground until the back end of the year. 

57 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Glenn Murray just needs to watch videos of DCFC to see how to keep social distancing on corner kicks

16 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

I don't think any lawsuit would win in court even if it went to the highest court in the country, clubs could shout and scream as much as they like but safety of the populace would i imagine be more paramount (unless a guarantee could be given that no one is at risk of catching or spreading C19 which of course they can't) and no credence would be given as to restarting the season just so teams could gain promotion/suffer relegation.

Yes it would be stated there is a huge financial cost at stake but that would pale into significance when it comes to maintaining the ongoing fight to protect the health and safety of the nation .

Even if matches were to be played behind locked gates you would still get fans turning up outside just to see the teams getting off the coaches etc, people can't be trusted which has been apparent as witnessed with current lockdown rules 

Agree with you regarding playing games v safety. Without a doubt safety takes precedence. 

The arguements will start if the Govt continue to ban social gatherings and the league governing bodies have no option but to call an end to this season. 

Null and void means everyone stays where they are for another season, or stop the league and relegate or promote clubs in their current positions. 

What happens with play offs? 

Either way, every club in the top 10 and bottom 6 of every league will be affected. Its going to take a lot of jostling, talking, bargaining, compromise to get a solution that most will agree with. 

The easy solution is to play the remaining games, but players are already speaking out about their safety, and I cant see anymore games being played in 2019/2020 season. 

Shame I was hoping the German football come back was going to lead the way. Guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer, sorry B4 ?

Agree with you regarding playing games v safety. Without a doubt safety takes precedence. 

The arguements will start if the Govt continue to ban social gatherings and the league governing bodies have no option but to call an end to this season. 

Null and void means everyone stays where they are for another season, or stop the league and relegate or promote clubs in their current positions. 

What happens with play offs? 

Either way, every club in the top 10 and bottom 6 of every league will be affected. Its going to take a lot of jostling, talking, bargaining, compromise to get a solution that most will agree with. 

The easy solution is to play the remaining games, but players are already speaking out about their safety, and I cant see anymore games being played in 2019/2020 season. 

From a footballing/supporters point of view i agree that the easiest solution is to play the remaining games however that would not sit easy with the general public who want to see some sort of normality return to life, all shops open,pubs/restaurants open and a return to work. Football/sport in general come a long way down the list. The CMO is even saying we may have another outbreak over winter, thats if we have this one under control by then. Hopefully someone may have produced a vaccine if this happens.

Perhaps, as time goes on and we still cannot put a defining time on when matches will restart, it may be best to pick this season up next year at the time this years leagues were suspended, that would appear the fairest solution. What happens to players who's contacts end this season is another issue. I can see a lot of clubs going into administration or taking steps such as Luton have done.

Per

10 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

It might be an unpopular view, but i'm sorry, if the authorities say that it's safe to play behind closed doors and the players then refuse to play, then they shouldn't receive their wages. Can't have it all ways.

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It might be an unpopular view, but i'm sorry, if the authorities say that it's safe to play behind closed doors and the players then refuse to play, then they shouldn't receive their wages. Can't have it all ways.

A similar point to that made by Hancock in response to a question as to whether fines should be reintroduced if parents decide not to send their kids back to school once medical experts deem it’s safe to do so and schools reopen (let’s safe the debate as to whether the general principle of whether parents should be fined to another day. That wasn’t the point of the question yesterday or this response).

Archived