Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/30/efl-will-need-carry-66000-coronavirus-tests-complete-season/

Lets face it lads, to do anything other than void the season would be moronic, and in poor taste. 

I’ll be gutted for Liverpool, but the level of hilarious hysteria coming from Nottingham & Leeds will offset my disappointment...

I class the whinging scousers in the same boat as the other two so my happiness will be complete.

The EFL and Premier League are in a no win situation really. If they call the season null and void, then teams that would possibly have been promoted won't be happy (and probably sue for loss of earnings). If they end the season as it is now, then teams that would possibly have been relegated won't be happy (and probably sue for loss of earnings). The only realistic solution is to complete the season when it's safe to do so and then catch up by having a longer/shorter mid-season break (and a winter break if needed the season after) until we catch up. I know some European leagues have cancelled their seasons already, but there's a lot more money around in English leagues than there is in European ones.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

It say’s below Championship level doesn’t it?

52 minutes ago, mozza said:

I read it that way, divisions below Championship. 

I'm almost certain that the article didn't originally specify below the Championship. I read it early on and at the time it read as being the entire EFL, I think that's also why there are still Leeds and WBA photos in the article.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Is it just me or do others find it irritating that some people try to find any excuse to criticise?

I’ve foolishly entered into a Twitter conversation with someone called Ian Redfern (presumably a supporter) who is accusing the club of acting immorally and without ethics by still allowing people to buy season tickets given the uncertainty over next season. Seems unreasonable criticism to me given the deadline has been extended and the club are not trying to trick/con/force or even encourage ticket holders to renew. Maybe my view is wrong.

I'm with you on this. I've seen the same tweets, I've also seen the same person mention about 17/20 EPL clubs having suspended season ticket sales, which means that 3/20 haven't, and they are the clubs with all of the TV money!

There are other comments in reply to the club's tweet, I've seen at least one bemoaning the club for 'asking us to renew', but that's not even what the tweet says. In fact I'm sure the reason for the club's tweet today is that this was the original date for renewal before seats were freed up for others to purchase, and the club wanted to make sure as many people as possible were aware that the date had been extended so they knew they didn't have to renew by the end of today, as I imagine a lot leave it to the last minute.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Surely better to finish this season no matter how long it takes.

Much easier to alter next season to suit circumstances than adapt this one.

Agreed. But UEFA are putting arbitary restrictions on the end of the season, because they want their Champions League to start on time ?

Reality is that doing this will require a Europe-wide agreement to change seasons. But 3 countries I think now have "completed" the 19-20 season in one manner or another. Are they to sit around and wait while the rest of us play out that season?

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

imagine Liverpool fans turning up in numbers where they are not supposed to be....never happened before has it..?

The premier league will play the remaining fixtures on the moon if they have to just to make sure they don't have to give back Murdoch his dirty money.

3 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

The EFL and Premier League are in a no win situation really. If they call the season null and void, then teams that would possibly have been promoted won't be happy (and probably sue for loss of earnings). If they end the season as it is now, then teams that would possibly have been relegated won't be happy (and probably sue for loss of earnings). The only realistic solution is to complete the season when it's safe to do so and then catch up by having a longer/shorter mid-season break (and a winter break if needed the season after) until we catch up. I know some European leagues have cancelled their seasons already, but there's a lot more money around in English leagues than there is in European ones.

If i had a legal brain i would pick up on the word probably, nothing is set in stone until the final whistle at full time of the last game in the season, i believe  any legal proceedings that were founded upon the probability of winning would be on shaky ground.

Which of these is more likely to result in clubs (who are already struggling financially) from going to the wall?

a) Not promoting those teams currently occupying a promotion spot
b) Relegating teams currently occupying a place in the relegation zone

I know there are a lot of teams who've maybe spent beyond their means and it may be a case of poo or bust (but realistically more like poo or tighten your belts a bit) but surely in most cases a promotion is a financial bonus, not a necessity for the club to carry on operating. I'd say relegation is more likely to ruin a club.

Whether the FA want that on their conscience (if they've got one) is for them to decide, but I know what seems the most fair option to me.

Edit: Oh, just saw someone say that there wouldn't be relegation, just promotion. Hmm, seems like that may not be too bad a compromise, but, well... Leeds....

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

imagine Liverpool fans turning up in numbers where they are not supposed to be....never happened before has it..?

The premier league will play the remaining fixtures on the moon if they have to just to make sure they don't have to give back Murdoch his dirty money.

Just let the fans into Anfield, padlock the gates behind them and let them out after 2 weeks.

Archived