Matches suspended

atherstoneram

I said on here over a month ago that this season is over, I just don’t know why the football authorities are dragging out the inevitable. In my mind, there is no conceivable way you can fit the sheer amount of matches and playoffs into the remaining window - After all, the season would have ended on Saturday.

Other European countries have bowed to the inevitable but there are still people in the U.K. talking about neutral grounds, etc. What a waste of time.

The brutal reality is that, with no immediate end to lockdown in sight, this season is null and void, like the grand national that never was.

I got a bit of grief on here when I last posted from dreamers who don’t live in the REAL world, telling me how wrong I was and that the season MUST finish.

Don’t get me wrong, I love football, I love DCFC, I was also 3rd in my 45-player fantasy footy league and money is on the line, so I don’t WANT the season to end, just can’t see an alternative.

Every thought and effort should be directed to next season now, the financially crippling effects will mean that there has to be a drive to sell tickets / sell sponsorship / negotiate player contracts - All with a view that the 20/21 season is NOT compromised in any way.

I’ll gladly eat humble pie if I’m wrong, but the Premier League and Championship need to wake-up, smell the coffee and void this season.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I said on here over a month ago that this season is over, I just don’t know why the football authorities are dragging out the inevitable. In my mind, there is no conceivable way you can fit the sheer amount of matches and playoffs into the remaining window - After all, the season would have ended on Saturday.

Other European countries have bowed to the inevitable but there are still people in the U.K. talking about neutral grounds, etc. What a waste of time.

The brutal reality is that, with no immediate end to lockdown in sight, this season is null and void, like the grand national that never was.

Not meant as a rhetorical question but why do you think?

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not meant as a rhetorical question but why do you think?

God knows? I follow NFL as well and there are concerns about their season starting on time or whether they’ll have to play behind closed doors, and their season starts in late September!

You can’t argue that the Premier League is not successful, so they probably know what they are doing and have reasons.

But the ‘leadership’ of the EFL makes me chuckle, so I don’t know if they are waiting on the Premier League to jump first or are just incompetent. 

Whatever the reason, I’m obviously a million miles removed from the finances, but on a psychological level, it would probably be best for fans to give up the ghost this season, get all the grumbling and ‘it’s so unfair’ out of our system and get ready for the new campaign.

I know it’s easy to say that, Derby were most probably not going to trouble the playoffs this season and of course I’d be furious if I were Liverpool or Leeds but, unless you decide to handout the titles now, I can’t see any alternatives but to void.

Like I say, happy to be proved wrong but, unless we can invent a new month of the year, let’s roll on 20/21 and get into the Prem ?

11 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Sky running a story that the PL clubs are preparing for possibly playing the whole of next season behind closed doors.....

And they will do.....can't stop the gravy train can we for the sake of mere football fans 

29 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Were you doubting me or Sky? ?

Would I ☺️, Neither you or Sky have the means to to do the above, It could only come from a Government source or the FA, And as Greg Clarke is the Chairman of the FA then things could be serious for the supporter.

If relegation is not taken into account then what is the point in playing at all? Sure I know they want the money but if I was sky/BT etc I would be back at the table renegotiating TV deals like every other business is doing about its bills 

the season needs voiding no winners no losers just a real bad time for everyone. 

The government have put a value on the life of a covid 19 healthcare death who were trying to keep us all alive and it’s £60,000 each now put that into context with some football clubs wanting to play a game in front of no one for the benefit of what exactly - it’s frankly disgusting 

personal rant - sorry 

despite what our BS leaders on both sides of the atlantic tell us; i dont think there will ever be a vaccine for coronavirus.  there has never been a vaccine for other similar coronavirus family members. sars, mers, avian flu, swine flu so why covid 19.

i think over a period of time it will fade away as natural immunity is built up; but this will of course; due to the widespread and severity of covid 19 take a long while.

1 hour ago, kong said:

despite what our BS leaders on both sides of the atlantic tell us; i dont think there will ever be a vaccine for coronavirus.  there has never been a vaccine for other similar coronavirus family members. sars, mers, avian flu, swine flu so why covid 19.

i think over a period of time it will fade away as natural immunity is built up; but this will of course; due to the widespread and severity of covid 19 take a long while.

Not strictly true Vaccines were developed for SARS and MERS but not released as the outbreaks had ended. SARS was that deadly that it killed people to quickly for mass infections good for humans bad for SARS

Oxford Uni and Astra Zenica reporting on Beeb today that they hope to have a vaccine ready to manufacture by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

If relegation is not taken into account then what is the point in playing at all? Sure I know they want the money but if I was sky/BT etc I would be back at the table renegotiating TV deals like every other business is doing about its bills 

the season needs voiding no winners no losers just a real bad time for everyone. 

The government have put a value on the life of a covid 19 healthcare death who were trying to keep us all alive and it’s £60,000 each now put that into context with some football clubs wanting to play a game in front of no one for the benefit of what exactly - it’s frankly disgusting 

personal rant - sorry 

Never apologise for what what you believe is right...ps spot on ?

1 hour ago, kong said:

You should go tell all those doctors then. It would save them all a lot of time and money if they knew this.

Kong et al, 2020.

Archived