Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is a spectator sport. Last season the Premier League attracted 14,508,981 fans who physically attended. The EFL by contrast attracted 18,300,000 bums on seats. TV audiences is where the major difference is. I only looked this up as Steve Parish claimed being able to watch PL games asap on telly would give the nation a boost. Maybe they should show EFL games to appeal to a larger committed audience?

According to the Telegraph (Daily) broadcasters BT and Sky would sue the PL for breach of contract if relegation was not involved when the season is eventually restarted also reported (but i can't find it anywhere) is that clubs in the EFL have stated that teams such as Derby, Leeds, etc who have entered into a voluntary wage reduction with their players during this suspension should not be allowed to participate in the transfer window until all outstanding monies have been paid to players taking part.

10 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

According to the Telegraph (Daily) broadcasters BT and Sky would sue the PL for breach of contract if relegation was not involved when the season is eventually restarted also reported (but i can't find it anywhere) is that clubs in the EFL have stated that teams such as Derby, Leeds, etc who have entered into a voluntary wage reduction with their players during this suspension should not be allowed to participate in the transfer window until all outstanding monies have been paid to players taking part.

The transfer window bit has been reported in the DT - mainly based on Alex Neil at Preston crying that it's all unfair. Not sure there's any substance to it at all other then (yet again) the Telegraph writing click-bait stories to improve their readership stats.......

12 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I think regardless of the rules, there will be few transfer fees paid this next window. Championship clubs are on their knees in terms of revenue. 

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The transfer window bit has been reported in the DT - mainly based on Alex Neil at Preston crying that it's all unfair. Not sure there's any substance to it at all other then (yet again) the Telegraph writing click-bait stories to improve their readership stats.......

I can actually see where Alex Neil is coming from, it could be deemed that such teams have gained an unfair advantage by offering contracts especially free transfer players when they still owe existing players money. If they have not got enough money to pay the players their current salary during this suspension how will the magic money tree suddenly appear to bring new players in when the transfer window does open. I am sure the debts the clubs have accrued during this suspension, deferred wages etc, will not disappear in a matter of weeks

24 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I can actually see where Alex Neil is coming from, it could be deemed that such teams have gained an unfair advantage by offering contracts especially free transfer players when they still owe existing players money. If they have not got enough money to pay the players their current salary during this suspension how will the magic money tree suddenly appear to bring new players in when the transfer window does open. I am sure the debts the clubs have accrued during this suspension, deferred wages etc, will not disappear in a matter of weeks

I'm  not saying the principal behind what he's saying is wrong (though he is one of the whingiest men in football), but that the suggestion seems to be directly from him rather than any sort of proposed policy from the EFL (or at least I've not seen anywhere else reporting it)

What an embarrassment this is becoming.

Sky and BT talking of suing (money)

Alex Neil complaining of unfair advantages (money)

Footballing governing bodies refusing to call the season off and drag it out (money)

We will knew what was wrong with football, but now, when people are dying, the stinking rich argue about money. I love football, but the whole lot can go in the bin for me.

19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What an embarrassment this is becoming.

Sky and BT talking of suing (money)

Alex Neil complaining of unfair advantages (money)

Footballing governing bodies refusing to call the season off and drag it out (money)

We will knew what was wrong with football, but now, when people are dying, the stinking rich argue about money. I love football, but the whole lot can go in the bin for me.

Being honest i couldn't agree more, yes this is a football forum and there are a lot really missing football. Until i suffered with illness a couple of years ago i was a devout ST holder for years but now i have cancelled sky sports and BT sports and will not renew them when the season does resume nor will i attend matches i have to say i am not missing it one little bit. It just shows what a farce football has become.

The reason they (the PL and EFL) won't call the season off is because of the money they would have to return to broadcasters, they are waiting for the government to call it off so the PL and EFL can turn to broadcasters and say get your money from the government, they called the season off, not us.

7 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Being honest i couldn't agree more, yes this is a football forum and there are a lot really missing football. Until i suffered with illness a couple of years ago i was a devout ST holder for years but now i have cancelled sky sports and BT sports and will not renew them when the season does resume nor will i attend matches i have to say i am not missing it one little bit. It just shows what a farce football has become.

The reason they (the PL and EFL) won't call the season off is because of the money they would have to return to broadcasters, they are waiting for the government to call it off so the PL and EFL can turn to broadcasters and say get your money from the government, they called the season off, not us.

And, if season ticket holders arent getting refunds, then why the hell should the billionaires at Sky get their money back?

We are all in this together, allegedly.

It is all becoming rather unsavoury. We love to hide behind a facade that we come together as a nation, pat ourselves on the back for how marvellous we are that we clap the NHS every Thursday and get all trumpety and rule Britannia about our Blythe spirit. There’s nothing wrong with any of that but when it comes down to the green stuff it all becomes an irrelevance and everybody is looking to exploit the situation for their own ends. The bottom line is Alex Neil hasn’t got a deep moral objection to clubs who’ve deferred wages, he just wants his club have an advantage. Put it this way, if Preston had needed to defer wages would he be in the press saying that he has voluntarily decided not to enter the transfer market because to the right thing to do? I don’t think so. The top clubs in the EPL want the season to continue and relegation to remain in place. Is this because they think it provides the country with a release  and protects the integrity of the competition?  No, it’s because they have greater worldwide revenue opportunities which are greater than anybody else and even closed door games can be lucrative to them. Keeping relegation is a strongman tactic to scare the bottom clubs to compete. Do the clubs still in the relegation mix really care more about the value of supporters, and the heart of the game is having fans attend ? Do they care more about the players well being? No, their main concern is getting another full year of EPL money when football resumes. This goes beyond football as well. Remain/labour types that are shouting the loudest want to condemn Boris Johnson as a Murderer with blood on his hands and manipulate Covid 19 death stats to condemn the UK as the one of the cesspits of the planet. Brexit Tory types think they are the vanguard of rule Britannia inc, they don’t want to hold anybody to account and manipulate covid 19 death stats to say nothing to see here move along. Why? Because people want the side they associate to win at all costs which associates to control, power and money. Thankfully (or not) it’s ever been thus. In 40 years time we will look back and say how wonderfully well we came together and the selfishness and greed of the times won’t get a look in in the mainstream story telling of the times. As for the reality of today, are we all in it together? I suppose we are depending on what IT is, if IT’s free, we can’t get an advantage from IT and IT doesn’t make us look bad or can’t make us look better than anybody else.

42 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

It is all becoming rather unsavoury. We love to hide behind a facade that we come together as a nation, pat ourselves on the back for how marvellous we are that we clap the NHS every Thursday and get all trumpety and rule Britannia about our Blythe spirit. There’s nothing wrong with any of that but when it comes down to the green stuff it all becomes an irrelevance and everybody is looking to exploit the situation for their own ends. The bottom line is Alex Neil hasn’t got a deep moral objection to clubs who’ve deferred wages, he just wants his club have an advantage. Put it this way, if Preston had needed to defer wages would he be in the press saying that he has voluntarily decided not to enter the transfer market because to the right thing to do? I don’t think so. The top clubs in the EPL want the season to continue and relegation to remain in place. Is this because they think it provides the country with a release  and protects the integrity of the competition?  No, it’s because they have greater worldwide revenue opportunities which are greater than anybody else and even closed door games can be lucrative to them. Keeping relegation is a strongman tactic to scare the bottom clubs to compete. Do the clubs still in the relegation mix really care more about the value of supporters, and the heart of the game is having fans attend ? Do they care more about the players well being? No, their main concern is getting another full year of EPL money when football resumes. This goes beyond football as well. Remain/labour types that are shouting the loudest want to condemn Boris Johnson as a Murderer with blood on his hands and manipulate Covid 19 death stats to condemn the UK as the one of the cesspits of the planet. Brexit Tory types think they are the vanguard of rule Britannia inc, they don’t want to hold anybody to account and manipulate covid 19 death stats to say nothing to see here move along. Why? Because people want the side they associate to win at all costs which associates to control, power and money. Thankfully (or not) it’s ever been thus. In 40 years time we will look back and say how wonderfully well we came together and the selfishness and greed of the times won’t get a look in in the mainstream story telling of the times. As for the reality of today, are we all in it together? I suppose we are depending on what IT is, if IT’s free, we can’t get an advantage from IT and IT doesn’t make us look bad or can’t make us look better than anybody else.

Very true. Brighton appear to be using this as an opportunity to blackmail the prem to removing the trap door to the championship even though they are claiming that its all about home advantage... If they remove relegation from the premier league/championship/wherever  it messes up the whole the whole competitiveness of the remaining games and alters the game too much. Same with reducing game time etc it's all silly.

If this is the way that it appears to needs to go to get agreement between clubs  then id be happier to either end the season with the standings as they are or void it entirely as the ideas are just silly.

As i posted earlier, i have cancelled both Sky and BT Sports and will not be renewing, it's not i have fallen out of love with football it is how the game has evolved,with broadcasters money meaning more to clubs than fans through the turnstiles but we, as fans, are as much to blame because we all accepted the mega bucks that was being thrown at the game and the thought of the players we could sign or hoped we could sign. Yes i may well be ridiculed for that comment but that doesn't bother me as i am on 12 week lockdown (or confined to barracks as i prefer to call it) due to being in the vulnerable group, i don't need a text message everyday from the government telling me what i should and shouldn't be doing to survive, i can work that out myself, and when all this is over if i can look back and read the comments it means i have survived this ghastly pandemic. A couple of friends of mine sadly haven't.

Do i hope to go to matches again, of course i do but it will be non league games where players want to play because of their love of the game rather than how much they can make ,where my admission money goes towards playing the players wages and the running of the club rather than my £30+ at PP just putting another bottle of wine on the directors tables on match days for their guests to sup at my expense

Many echo the same thoughts as me in this thread: this pandemic has shown the underbelly of football throughout the world and the worst of them all is the EFL. An organisation that has in effect created an entity whereby clubs can't survive. The restriction on investment has undoubtedly impacted money coming into the league and now that investment is desperately required. 

How many teams will go into administration after this, I don't know, but I imagine it will be in the 10s or even 20s. The Football League will no doubt go to court to try and fine teams for not meeting FFP restrictions without the matchday income. They're already taking Birmingham to court in spite of a third party investigation finding them not guilty of breaking FFP. It's a travesty. 

The EFL will continue to beg the Premier League for hand outs in order to survive when really the Premier League should close their doors and keep all the money within the top 20 teams in the country, similar to how the Premier League 2 works. The rest can form some sort of national league, similar to the professional development league, whereby wages can be controlled better at each particular level on the pyramid. You won't have teams being relegated with huge wage bills, whereby they have a huge advantage, plus Premier League teams will be able to spend their money without the fear of relegation and players won't have to go to one of the top 6 clubs in the country to earn their money so you will encourage a more competitive top flight where standards are raised. 

I really don't think I can stomach another Derby County season governed by the Football League where finances are the primary discussion rather than the product on the pitch. 

Archived