Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Am I wrong to say that anyone turning down the vaccine for anything other than medical reasons - if they require hospital treatment down the line should be charged?

I do feel the same with certain other things, like excess alcohol and so on but fully appreciate it's a grey area.

It's debateable whether they should be allowed to carry on with the job they do. Working with vulnerable people then refusing to help protect them because you want a nice weekend. Makes me fume.

28 minutes ago, Archied said:

I know , I don’t doubt it but as I say the pro / anti lockdown debate isn’t a young and old split and it’s driven by lots of complex and serious issues not just getting in the pub

Indeed. I think I've said before and will again I have no problem with people managing their own risk appetite to a certain extent, whatever the age group.

The post really wasn't meant to be about that though, more the bizarre conspiracy theories, not the ones about the numbers been manipulated etc..as I can always understand them (I'm not saying they are conspiracy theories there either ? ), but the ones around it being man made to get Trump out of office and now it's done America has now reopened ? 

2 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

They are now 'demanding' some of the UK's supply of the AZ Vaccine to meet their quotas.

I would expect AstraZeneca will have force majeure clause in the contract so EU cannot demand anything they are just trying to cover up their own incompetence.

https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/what-effect-will-covid-19-have-on-force-majeure

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/covid-19-force-majeure-clause

59 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Am I wrong to say that anyone turning down the vaccine for anything other than medical reasons - if they require hospital treatment down the line should be charged?

I do feel the same with certain other things, like excess alcohol and so on but fully appreciate it's a grey area.

Yes, I think you're wrong.

Unless of course you give people the chance to opt out of funding the NHS also.

6 hours ago, BIllyD said:

Two things that Australia are better than us at is handling the virus and cheating at cricket.

Neither can be argued with, but it just gets a bit monotonous when it's continually referenced.

To be fair we learnt one of those from England. 

37 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Indeed. I think I've said before and will again I have no problem with people managing their own risk appetite to a certain extent, whatever the age group.

The post really wasn't meant to be about that though, more the bizarre conspiracy theories, not the ones about the numbers been manipulated etc..as I can always understand them (I'm not saying they are conspiracy theories there either ? ), but the ones around it being man made to get Trump out of office and now it's done America has now reopened ? 

Man made to get trump out of office ? No ,,, never letting a good crisis go to waste ? In the USA and here I don’t think much is off limits for political gain from whatever side

The EU have completely been caught out here and have screwed up massively. 

They seemed to bet on Sanofi-GSK to develop the vaccine which has failed so far. They've failed to the extent that Sanofi will be developing Pfizers vaccine.. 

The EU came to AZ far too late for the scale of requested delivery at the same time as the UK.

They're now trying to say that AZ need to match the output they claimed might possibly (or possibly not) be able to supply. They're claiming that as AZ supposedly put the UK manufacturing capability in its documents that they should be using it to help supply the contract, however AZ are using it basically to supply the UK, but not in volumes that could make up the shortfall in expected delivery from their EU plants. Theyre basically pissed off that in their eyes AZ are not treating all contracts equally and that they should be getting a higher proportion of the vaccines developed there, however the UK would (rightly) say that they booked them earlier and deserve some sort of priority.

The UK in the same way isn't receiving pfizer or moderna vaccines in the same volumes as the orders werent placed in time.

I think putting on an export ban of Pfizer vaccines probably doesn't help them overall, too risky on what UK government might do in retaliation and doesn't really solve their problems. 

At the same time the EMA have been slow to approve the AZ vaccine and its still not licensed by them and there's chatter it won't be licensed in older people due to lack of data. The EMA are approving them beyond the standard for Emergency Use which explains some of the delay but its odd that the EU are kicking up a fuss about a vaccine with some elements of uncertainty. 

@cstand from what I've read AZ and the Russian developers are working together now to see if the two separate vaccines together can complement each other so I'm not sure it's necessarily a negative to use Russian kit if they can be shown to be safe and effective.

The EU basically messed themselves up by taking too long and betting too much on domestic supplier that failed. 

I do wonder if AZ will buckle a bit and export some on approval for all age groups... At least in the short term. It would be madness if AZ vaccines were being exported to the EU to be used in general population whilst in the UK there's not enough supply for the most vulnerable. 

Much as been said about the damage caused by this pandemic to our children's education. Today Johnson stated the government were planing to spend millions to help rectify the problem, which is very commendable but not sure how money is going to replace the lost weeks that children should have had in the classroom .  I think a more radical approach is needed and this school year should be repeated. Some of the planned millions should then be used to guarantee a nursery place for every child that should have started school in the September.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would they need us to help, I remember that they had this programme that our Government were incompetent not joining it, remember reading it on here.

Still awaiting any comment from anyone that made them remarks.

Wall of silence.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Quote them if you're that desperate for attention.

I went all the way through to December, before I actually knew someone (as opposed to knowing someone who knows someone) that had caught the virus.  Brother in law, his wife, and son all got it, and were laid up for a week or so, and took best part of 2 weeks before feeling something like normal again  The biggest relief was that my 89 year old father in law (who lives with them) got through that spell unscathed.

Yesterday, for the first time, I learned of someone I know personally (an ex work associate) that has recently died of/with covid.  Not a close pal in the true sense, but we always stopped to chat and have a laugh when our paths crossed (3 or 4 times a year, normally). 
Early 40's.  A good sort.  A bit soft, but a heart of gold.  Local lad.  He leaves behind a gaggle of kids (4, I think, all of school age to late teens?)

Hits home, when it gets this close.

RIP, Buddy.
xxx

35 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I went all the way through to December, before I actually knew someone (as opposed to knowing someone who knows someone) that had caught the virus.  Brother in law, his wife, and son all got it, and were laid up for a week or so, and took best part of 2 weeks before feeling something like normal again  The biggest relief was that my 89 year old father in law (who lives with them) got through that spell unscathed.

Yesterday, for the first time, I learned of someone I know personally (an ex work associate) that has recently died of/with covid.  Not a close pal in the true sense, but we always stopped to chat and have a laugh when our paths crossed (3 or 4 times a year, normally). 
Early 40's.  A good sort.  A bit soft, but a heart of gold.  Local lad.  He leaves behind a gaggle of kids (4, I think, all of school age to late teens?)

Hits home, when it gets this close.

RIP, Buddy.
xxx

Coincidentally I found out yesterday an old work colleague died , she was 53 , no underlying conditions.

Not someone either I knew that well on a personal level but still sad to hear, she was a very bubbly full of life character.  Very sad. 

12 hours ago, Rev said:

Wasn't the point made we could have joined the EU programme, and still ran our own in parallel, like a belt and braces approach?

I honestly can't remember.

I've read this morning that The Netherlands tried to do exactly that and were stopped by the EU.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

More good news on the testing front - especially for those that have repeatedly stated how unhappy they are with the accuracy of the PCR test. This will be more up their street I'm sure

image.thumb.png.d4bc00de29b64663a191632391b88f5c.png

The government has been shafting the country for years, so carrying out this test on most of the population should be easy. 

17 hours ago, Archied said:

Man made to get trump out of office ? No ,,, never letting a good crisis go to waste ? In the USA and here I don’t think much is off limits for political gain from whatever side

I think that's called Disaster Capitalism and it's been around long before Covid.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I think that's called Disaster Capitalism and it's been around long before Covid.

Yep , I know but by Christ this one is being and will go on to be the daddy of them all, anybody who believes that we are ever going back to the anything like the lives and liberty we had before is sadly mistaken 

Archived