Coronavirus

1of4

Trying to continue the good news stories and this was published on the telegraph 

“Israel, which has already given a full set of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccinations to over 6 per cebt of its citizens, has not registered a single serious Covid-19 case among them - even as infections surge in the wider population.

Health Minister Yuli Edelstein told a parliamentary panel today that new infections and hospital admissions for serious or critical Covid-19 complications were now at record numbers.

But he said he knew of "no serious morbidity" among Israelis eligible for the vaccination certificate - a document issued by the state a week after the second dose is administered, when Pfizer says the vaccine is 95% effective. He said 0.014 per cent had contracted milder forms of Covid-19.“

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Pretty much what @Wolfie posted. The EU have backed the wrong horse and are resorting to threats that could stop the distribution of a life saving vaccine. 

I must admit not sure what they are suggesting.

Is it to hijack supplies purchased by another country, or just prevent distribution of them until they get what they have ordered?

43 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I must admit not sure what they are suggesting.

Is it to hijack supplies purchased by another country, or just prevent distribution of them until they get what they have ordered?

My take is more around "control" it and potentially prevent distribution.

The are citing AZ as not giving satisfactory answers to why they can't meet the first order quantity and they should be met. They are basing the latter on, the UK for example being ahead of them in their programme and therefore they should become the priority, even though all countries and manufactures face the same issue.

So in essence, even though through their own decision making, they are behind us, they want AZ to make them a priority to "catch up" and because AZ have said no, they have gone down this route.

As I said, my take on it only.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

At least I wasnt the only one to take the bait! Its good that Albert has got himself a fishing friend!

Anyway, you speak for yourself, I'm looking forward to hearing about Australia's response to the pandemic as not heard it mentioned yet.

Just hope it doesnt go over the top though because we all know nationalism is looked down upon on this thread...

The irony is that it's the opposite of nationalism. 

I don't bring it up because Australia is better, I bring it up because I know Australia isn't. The decision making of those in charge in the UK has been appalling, and given that I don't feel that Australia or New Zealand (or the others as mentioned previously) are inherently 'better', I am disappointed that the UK has ended up in such a horrible position, particularly when we have directly and clear evidence that the very tools needed to achieve similar results worked in the UK, they just weren't used properly. 

When this is all said and done, I hope those responsible for the failed response front up to the inquiries into the decision making. But for now, the key is doing the best with the situation they have made for the country. 

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I don't bring it up because Australia is better, I bring it up because I know Australia isn't. The decision making of those in charge in the UK has been appalling, and given that I don't feel that Australia or New Zealand (or the others as mentioned previously) are inherently 'better', I am disappointed that the UK has ended up in such a horrible position, particularly when we have directly and clear evidence that the very tools needed to achieve similar results worked in the UK, they just weren't used properly. 

I dunno. I'd quite happily make Jacinda Ardern president of the universe.

39 minutes ago, cstand said:

Taken from Euro News

image.thumb.png.1a6b2cd5efce1b0f51df7819d4584f42.png

Isn't that just someone's personal opinion from the comments section on the Euro News site? I presume it's not from an actual article, given its poor spelling and punctuation. I'm not saying you shouldn't have shared it, but it's no better informed or authorative than anyone else's personal opinion. I'm not sure what it's proving? ?‍♂️

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Well, I get my vaccine on Friday. @sage - have you heard anything? I know different local authorities are doing things their own way, not everyone is up for it. 

I'll apologise now if Bill Gates has taken over my account by Saturday morning. Still, better than CodeZero.

As a foster carer I am not deemed 'frontline' so will be waiting quite a while. Sadly I know a social worker and a disability support worker who have turned down vaccines. One got offered it on a Thursday and didn't want to feel 'under the weather' over the weekend. The other thinks the govt are making people take an undertested vaccine to get the economy going.

I despair.

I am 70 with underlying health conditions.

Wife is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable.

We had the Astra Zeneca jab on 23rd January at a local centre. No waiting at all. Appointment was 1330. done by 1345.

saw lots of folk coming at their appointment time and all running like clockwork.

Don't clog up the system by attending early or late, respect the restrictions and keep to time and distance.

Very impressed so far, no side effects and not even a sore arm!

21 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

I am 70 with underlying health conditions.

Wife is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable.

We had the Astra Zeneca jab on 23rd January at a local centre. No waiting at all. Appointment was 1330. done by 1345.

saw lots of folk coming at their appointment time and all running like clockwork.

Don't clog up the system by attending early or late, respect the restrictions and keep to time and distance.

Very impressed so far, no side effects and not even a sore arm!

Not the vaccine but I have to have regular blood tests. Pre pandemic it was go to heanor, get there early and queue. Since pandemic they introduced a booking system which gives someone a time, they have 2 people at a time ,with a 5 minute gap between appointments.

Last week i go, im the first booking at 7.30 and before i get let in there are 8 people queuing. So assuming all 8 are in the first slots of the day some of them arent due until 7.45am.....stick to the time thats the idea to minimise contact.

1 hour ago, sage said:

As a foster carer I am not deemed 'frontline' so will be waiting quite a while. Sadly I know a social worker and a disability support worker who have turned down vaccines. One got offered it on a Thursday and didn't want to feel 'under the weather' over the weekend. The other thinks the govt are making people take an undertested vaccine to get the economy going.

I despair.

I saw a "debate" on my FB profile yesterday. Someone questioning the lockdown and the 100k, it soon escalated and you could see a common theme between the younger generation believing the lockdown was unnecessary against others that didn't. For me, I can see both sides and just about remember when I was that age and nothing would have stopped me going to the pub, so I understand in a way where they were coming from, even if I disagreed.

However, there was also some conspiracy theory's that I couldn't believe that some were buying into, one was that the virus had been invented to remove Trump. There was also a lot of noise around the vaccine, how can they develop it so quick whereas we have got one for AIDS for example. Some people will just believe what they want to.

17 hours ago, Albert said:

The irony is that it's the opposite of nationalism. 

When this is all said and done, I hope those responsible for the failed response front up to the inquiries into the decision making. But for now, the key is doing the best with the situation they have made for the country. 

Two things that Australia are better than us at is handling the virus and cheating at cricket.

Neither can be argued with, but it just gets a bit monotonous when it's continually referenced.

3 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

Isn't that just someone's personal opinion from the comments section on the Euro News site? I presume it's not from an actual article, given its poor spelling and punctuation. I'm not saying you shouldn't have shared it, but it's no better informed or authorative than anyone else's personal opinion. I'm not sure what it's proving? ?‍♂️

If your only complaint is poor spelling or punctuation I take it you agree with the content?

Everyone on this forum are giving there own personal opinion so I think it worth sharing unless there forum rules about this if so the mods can remove it.

9 minutes ago, cstand said:

If your only complaint is poor spelling or punctuation I take it you agree with the content?

Everyone on this forum are giving there own personal opinion so I think it worth sharing unless there forum rules about this if so the mods can remove it.

I mentioned the poor spelling and punctuation because it indicated that it wasn't a Euro News article or editorial, merely someone's personal opinion in the comments section of a website. If you want to trawl the comments sections of international news sites for opinions that match your own, so you can post them here, you carry on.

I think everyone accepts there are a wide array of opinions on the whole subject of Coronavirus and the international roll out of vaccines, so I'm not sure posting the opinion of some random anonymous person on the internet will change anyone's opinion one way or the other, but it all adds to the debate I suppose.

29 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

I mentioned the poor spelling and punctuation because it indicated that it wasn't a Euro News article or editorial, merely someone's personal opinion in the comments section of a website. If you want to trawl the comments sections of international news sites for opinions that match your own, so you can post them here, you carry on.

I think everyone accepts there are a wide array of opinions on the whole subject of Coronavirus and the international roll out of vaccines, so I'm not sure posting the opinion of some random anonymous person on the internet will change anyone's opinion one way or the other, but it all adds to the debate I suppose.

image.thumb.png.541e29f44e68470db150e0e1e6a9cac1.png

Regarding this problem with the EU and the vaccine.  I'm assuming that there saying the UK is getting there order and the EU aren't.  Well there is issue  with production and probably in the way it was ordered. There plan seems to be to keep hold of supply and stop it leaving Belgium to satisfy there quota by force.  If that's the case it's very reminiscent of what Trump was hammered for, regarding drugs being stopped at source and diverted from France and Canada last year .  The EU are therefore become the barsteward child of Mr Orange with this move.  

3 hours ago, BIllyD said:

I saw a "debate" on my FB profile yesterday. Someone questioning the lockdown and the 100k, it soon escalated and you could see a common theme between the younger generation believing the lockdown was unnecessary against others that didn't. For me, I can see both sides and just about remember when I was that age and nothing would have stopped me going to the pub, so I understand in a way where they were coming from, even if I disagreed.

However, there was also some conspiracy theory's that I couldn't believe that some were buying into, one was that the virus had been invented to remove Trump. There was also a lot of noise around the vaccine, how can they develop it so quick whereas we have got one for AIDS for example. Some people will just believe what they want to.

Be careful with snapshots ,, there are many many middle aged and older people who are against lockdown policies ( even the W H O are far from behind them) , and plenty of younger people are supportive of measure , it’s too easy to split groups and set them at odds with each other and probably the most frustrating thing I see is this line about stopped from going to the pub ,, it’s far far more than that for the young who happen to disagree with lockdowns

Archived