Coronavirus

1of4

25 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

@Bob The Badger

I'm normally thrilled to receive a laughing face reaction emoji thingy, but I'm not too thrilled to get one for my previous post!

Admit defeat mate... and start wearing those bloody glasses EVERY time you start reading!  There's no shame in it!  ?  ?

Mate, that was a genuine error, I do apologize.

And that is me with the glasses on. Without them I doubt I'd have found my laptop.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Mate, that was a genuine error, I do apologize.

And that is me with the glasses on. Without them I doubt I'd have found my laptop.

Absolutely no need to apologise, Bob.  Even on here, nobody could be that heartless!!  LOL!

Pesky little things, these bloody emoticons!  ?  ?

59 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep , I know but by Christ this one is being and will go on to be the daddy of them all, anybody who believes that we are ever going back to the anything like the lives and liberty we had before is sadly mistaken 

Not this year maybe but what is it that you think we won't get back?.

30 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The right to make our own decisions on whether we can leave the house for one , a job , the right to run your business if your lucky enough to still have one , the right to travel, health/ vaccine passports WILL be the norm to even work , cash will be done away with to track people better , people who think working from home was a bonus will find they’re jobs disappearing about for cost saving , 

the list is endless but if you think not too much has changed and after another YEAR will all be hunky Dorey and back to the life we had fair play ,

only time will tell but I’m certain a lot of people will see things differently as it moves on

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

The right to make our own decisions on whether we can leave the house for one , a job , the right to run your business if your lucky enough to still have one , the right to travel, health/ vaccine passports WILL be the norm to even work , cash will be done away with to track people better , people who think working from home was a bonus will find they’re jobs disappearing about for cost saving , 

the list is endless but if you think not too much has changed and after another YEAR will all be hunky Dorey and back to the life we had fair play ,

only time will tell but I’m certain a lot of people will see things differently as it moves on

Of course things have changed. Massively. I just believe that the change can be temporary in most of the areas you mention.

I reckon by the end of this year, we'll be back to some kind of normality due to vaccines. I'm not some blind happy clapper. The country needs to get back to normal - the economy depends on it.

How much longer do you think the government can keep borrowing the eyewatering sums it is doing?. They need us to be out there & spending.

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

I think you're right that things will be very different and never go back to how they were, but I think we ought to grasp it as a positive opportunity to effect changes for the better. It's not the time to be a doom-monger

For example, working from home long term removes so many daily commutes that benefits the environment and people's mental health/family time. Gives people a much better work life balance, and also opens up the job market a lot more if you want it.

The furlough schemes have essentially been a trial of Universal Income, which is a much more progressive way of approaching things, and again would open up people's horizons to feel secure enough to take chances and follow career paths they might have deemed too risky before

The home schooling debate has also started to highlight technology/broadband poverty and that is beginning to be addressed. The recognition that internet connectivity is becoming more of a basic necessity like heat and water, and people shouldn't be denied access because they can't afford it

I;m not saying it will ALL be hunky dory, I'm sure there will be the usual nefarious sharks that seek to make profit and gain control through the changes, but I genuinely think we're living through an unprecedented opportunity to change our world for the better. We ony do that through positivity and action. Too easy to just sit and complain and expect that everything will be awful. Try to get out of that mindset

19 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The home schooling debate has also started to highlight technology/broadband poverty and that is beginning to be addressed. The recognition that internet connectivity is becoming more of a basic necessity like heat and water, and people shouldn't be denied access because they can't afford it

A recent opposition policy of free* broadband access for all doesn't seem quite so stupid anymore.

*free meaning paid for by taxpayers that would also cover those unable to pay for it.

24 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Of course things have changed. Massively. I just believe that the change can be temporary in most of the areas you mention.

I reckon by the end of this year, we'll be back to some kind of normality due to vaccines. I'm not some blind happy clapper. The country needs to get back to normal - the economy depends on it.

How much longer do you think the government can keep borrowing the eyewatering sums it is doing?. They need us to be out there & spending.

They can go back to normal I just don’t believe they will 

27 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think you're right that things will be very different and never go back to how they were, but I think we ought to grasp it as a positive opportunity to effect changes for the better. It's not the time to be a doom-monger

For example, working from home long term removes so many daily commutes that benefits the environment and people's mental health/family time. Gives people a much better work life balance, and also opens up the job market a lot more if you want it.

The furlough schemes have essentially been a trial of Universal Income, which is a much more progressive way of approaching things, and again would open up people's horizons to feel secure enough to take chances and follow career paths they might have deemed too risky before

I;m not saying it will ALL be hunky dory, I'm sure there will be the usual nefarious sharks that seek to make profit and gain control through the changes, but I genuinely think we're living through an unprecedented opportunity to change our world for the better. We ony do that through positivity and action. Too easy to just sit and complain and expect that everything will be awful. Try to get out of that mindset

I don’t doubt there is opportunity for massive change for the better,,

won’t happen though , you’ve only got to look at how much more of the money going to the few has accelerated through this year and with it power and control ,

doom and gloom???, realist is a more fitting description,

you cling to the airy fairy dream if that works for you ,, I’m more worried about my kids futures

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

It might not be about what we dont get back but more what Government think they are free to take. 

Over the last 12 months Government have literally been able to take away our freedoms at will with literally nothing to stop them.

Its worrying to say the least when they can introduce laws that make it a criminal offence to leave your house, without anything being said.

On 27/01/2021 at 15:03, cstand said:

If your only complaint is poor spelling or punctuation I take it you agree with the content?

Everyone on this forum are giving there own personal opinion so I think it worth sharing unless there forum rules about this if so the mods can remove it.

That's quite a stretch

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It might not be about what we dont get back but more what Government think they are free to take. 

Over the last 12 months Government have literally been able to take away our freedoms at will with literally nothing to stop them.

Its worrying to say the least when they can introduce laws that make it a criminal offence to leave your house, without anything being said.

Just not true. Everything has been scruitinised and voted on in parliament and debated in public via the media etc. The legislation brought in is time limited, as far as I know. And if it isn't got rid of when safe to do so, I'll be on the streets with millions of others demanding the freedoms back.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Just not true. Everything has been scruitinised and voted on in parliament and debated in public via the media etc. The legislation brought in is time limited, as far as I know. And if it isn't got rid of when safe to do so, I'll be on the streets with millions of others demanding the freedoms back.

It clearly is true.

The Government have introduced legislation that has been voted on at later dates.

Think these extraordinarily powera run up until the end of March, I certainly won't be betting against them being extended. 

Who decides when it is safe for them to be removed?

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I've just done my bloody tax return. That'll keep them going a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I cant see it continuing. If anything our government havent been as strict as many, in many european countries you have curfews and restrictions on how far you can travel. Ive been told ireland has road blocks set up and if you arent travelling for a proven reason you are sent back.

And Australia who lock thousands down if 1 person gets tested positive. Imagine the uproar here if such restrictions were in place.

Of course you have the other side with places like brazil and usa who seem to just carry on as normal.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It clearly is true.

The Government have introduced legislation that has been voted on at later dates.

Think these extraordinarily powera run up until the end of March, I certainly won't be betting against them being extended. 

Who decides when it is safe for them to be removed?

But that's not what you said before.

The legislation can always be voted down. There's enough tories unhappy with the way it is to rebel in any future votes.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But that's not what you said before.

The legislation can always be voted down. There's enough tories unhappy with the way it is to rebel in any future votes.

Plus Boris is a populist - he wants the public to like him, that's why we had the ridiculous Christmas relaxation idea (just read that awful story in the DET about the Derby family who met up at xmas and now 4 of them have died from Covid ?)

He's many things, but I just don't see him as an authoritarian that wants to curtail people's freedoms. Quite the opposite, he's doing the bare minumum, and all as late as he can leave it

Did no one "eat out to help out" as soon as the last restrictions were lifted? Why does anyone think he won't lift these restrictions as soon as he can justify it?

33 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Wow , you really haven’t been paying attention 

Archived