Coronavirus

1of4

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Interesting story

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/24/new-zealand-records-first-covid-community-case-intwo-months

person arrives in nz, goes into isolation, has 2 negative tests and then develops symptoms. On the face of it isolation needs to be longer

14 days has worked well for Australia and New Zealand, but it's well worth investigating the circumstances around this. Much like the recent clusters in Australia though, it's a lot easier to manage when caught early like this. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Albert said:

14 days has worked well for Australia and New Zealand, but it's well worth investigating the circumstances around this. Much like the recent clusters in Australia though, it's a lot easier to manage when caught early like this. 

Apparently she has also kept extensive records of where she has been after leaving isolation 

Good news...in a way i guess, infections down 22% on last week with 30,000 new infections.

Obviously still horribly high, as sadly are deaths. But significant reductions from the days of nearly 70000 infections a couple of weeks back.

4 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Good news...in a way i guess, infections down 22% on last week with 30,000 new infections.

Obviously still horribly high, as sadly are deaths. But significant reductions from the days of nearly 70000 infections a couple of weeks back.

You have to wonder where 30,000 infections a day are coming from with the country in lockdown. 

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You have to wonder where 30,000 infections a day are coming from with the country in lockdown. 

Supermarkets, offices, nurseries, shops, raves, weddings, funerals, people arriving from abroad...

We have some restrictions on personal freedoms but lockdown it ain't.

9 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Supermarkets, offices, nurseries, shops, raves, weddings, funerals, people arriving from abroad...

Excluding the rave, obviously, the others should only be open/operating in a 'Covid secure' manner?

Not sure why you would not call it a lockdown when you can be fined for leaving your house without a valid reason.

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

you wonder how the dvla ended up with 500 infections. 

surely an office environment like that could have arranged significant home working.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Excluding the rave, obviously, the others should only be open/operating in a 'Covid secure' manner?

Not sure why you would not call it a lockdown when you can be fined for leaving your house without a valid reason.

The new variant has a big impact obviously, but also it's very regional which in itself tells a story. Whilst we are in "lockdown" and the numbers continue to fall, mobility is way higher than the first lockdown based upon analysis.

Therefore 50k a day cases, with a higher    chance of infection when people are still going to work is going to result in high numbers for a some time yet.

6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

surely an office environment like that could have arranged significant home working.

I sent my licence for a photo upgrade on the 4th of April last year. I asked them to take my HGV entitlement off, I don’t know why but that caused all kinds of problems, anyway, I got my licence back on November The 11th. 

Good luck to anyone trying to call the DVLA, there was no one there, to say it was a pain in the arse is an understatement.

13 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Given how hard it is to ever even speak to people in places like that I wouldn't have thought they even had 500 employees!

6 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I sent my licence for a photo upgrade on the 4th of April last year. I asked them to take my HGV entitlement off, I don’t know why but that caused all kinds of problems, anyway, I got my licence back on November The 11th. 

Good luck to anyone trying to call the DVLA, there was no one there, to say it was a pain in the arse is an understatement.

I found that the DVla chat line was pretty good. 

although I didn’t get aroused.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure how you get toddlers to 'operate in a 'Covid secure' manner' when so many grown ups seem to find it such a stretch. Frankly, I think we've seen more than enough evidence to suggest that there's plenty of folk pretty much ignoring lockdown so it's hardly a surprise that the infections are still occurring. I suspect that the more takeaway, for most folk that is, is that the death and infection counts are actually dropping.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Just because some idiots ignore the rules doesn’t mean it isn’t a lockdown (of sorts). It’s like saying there are no speed limits on the roads because some people ignore them.

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just because some idiots ignore the rules doesn’t mean it isn’t a lockdown (of sorts). It’s like saying there are no speed limits on the roads because some people ignore them.

The missus school is still operating at around 60% of normal occupancy. Currently there are 5 members of staff off with positive tests.

The primary school will be open tomorrow as usual with around 100 kids in.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

This. I work as a manager in a factory making confectionery but I'm classed as a key worker. 

Not sure what damage it's going to do to peoples well being if they don't get their regular fix of Milk Tray chocs but as long as they're happy I guess.

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This. I work as a manager in a factory making confectionery but I'm classed as a key worker. 

Not sure what damage it's going to do to peoples well being if they don't get their regular fix of Milk Tray chocs but as long as they're happy I guess.

You’re probably not classed as key worker.

The current rules say “where people cannot work from home they should continue to travel to their workplace. This includes, but is not limited to, people who work in:.......” it then lists some key area..

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You’re probably not classed as key worker.

The current rules say “where people cannot work from home they should continue to travel to their workplace. This includes, but is not limited to, people who work in:.......” it then lists some key area..

Apologies food manufacturing essential workers. Which is making confectionery so to me isn't going to radically affect the human race if the nation is deprived of chocolates for a few months which was my original point as one of the reasons as to why the rates of infection are still so high. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Apologies food manufacturing essential workers. Which is making confectionery so to me isn't going to radically affect the human race if the nation is deprived of chocolates for a few months which was my original point as one of the reasons as to why the rates of infection are still so high. 

Like I said though, it’s not about being an “essential worker”. Everyone should continue to go their workplace if they can’t work from home regardless of what they do for a living (with the exceptions of some retail and hospitality).

I’m not saying I agree but it’s about getting the balance right between keeping the economy going and protecting the workers.

Obviously manufacturing chocolates isn’t critical to the survival of the human race but it might be important to the survival of the company you work for. So, the calculated risk the government is taking (I would emphasise again, I’m not saying I agree, I’m just glad it not me having to make the decisions) is let’s get the infection rate down by imposing the other restrictions but keep businesses (apart from hospitality and non online retail sadly for people in those businesses) going.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Like I said though, it’s not about being an “essential worker”. Everyone should continue to go their workplace if they can’t work from home regardless of what they do for a living (with the exceptions of some retail and hospitality).

I’m not saying I agree but it’s about getting the balance right between keeping the economy going and protecting the workers.

Obviously manufacturing chocolates isn’t critical to the survival of the human race but it might be important to the survival of the company you work for. So, the calculated risk the government is taking (I would emphasise again, I’m not saying I agree, I’m just glad it not me having to make the decisions) is let’s get the infection rate down by imposing the other restrictions but keep businesses (apart from hospitality and non online retail sadly for people in those businesses) going.

As you can probably tell I totally disagree with the blanket stance of food manufacturing being essential when it covers items such as chocolate or confectionery which to me says it's not a lockdown at all.

The original point was why are infection rates still very high and this is one of the reasons - unnecessarily making staff go into work to make sweets. 

The company I work for is a global multinational so is far more insulated than others smaller firms, again I disagree that making sweets is essential to the well being of this country at this stage. If it were staple diet items absolutely but not luxury confectionery.

Archived