Coronavirus

1of4

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As you can probably tell I totally disagree with the blanket stance of food manufacturing being essential when it covers items such as chocolate or confectionery which to me says it's not a lockdown at all.

The original point was why are infection rates still very high and this is one of the reasons - unnecessarily making staff go into work to make sweets. 

The company I work for is a global multinational so is far more insulated than others smaller firms, again I disagree that making sweets is essential to the well being of this country at this stage. If it were staple diet items absolutely but not luxury confectionery.

You need to stop talking about “essential”. The current rules DO NOT say anything about “essential workers” or even limit the go to work rules to specific industries. There is no blanket stance on food manufacturing or any other industry so, I don’t know what your bosses are telling you.

I understand the point about the fact you work for a large multinational and are therefore insulated to an extent, but there are many more smaller independent manufacturers (of sweets and a whole host of not essential items) that would suffer. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How many are like 'Max'?

This is why we can't have nice things

Unless we import them from abroad of course.

I see @Archiedpointing out your slight hypocrisy has had no effect.

Max sounds a complete dick.

But read the case of Liv on the story below.

Do you think you getting your beer shipped over from Belgium is more important than her getting to see her family?

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you think you getting your beer shipped over from Belgium is more important than her getting to see her family?

Unfortunately people like Liv are collateral damage from the restrictions in place due to all those like Max.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Unfortunately people like Liv are collateral damage from the restrictions in place due to all those like Max.

Maybe.

So do you think this latest lockdown was avoidable, if this minority of people breaking the rules had played ball? I don't. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't see any connection at all with the article you referred to or any connection between me ordering beer from Belgium last November or in fact buying Belgian beer from Tesco today. Where do you think that comes from, eh? I put @Archied back on 'ignore' because he is either intentionally trolling me or he is making a fatuous comment in order to score message-board points by extracting 'likes' from people like you.

Should I, in order to comply with your tedious and on the face of it rather pathetic argument, stop buying any produce from overseas? 

Edit: Do you think for one moment that if I thought that my actions were in any way responsible for the deaths of those close to me (that number is now 6, incidentally, following a phone call we received yesterday) or anyone else. for that matter, that I would continue buying rice, pasta, pak choi, Thai curry paste or Belgian beer I would continue to do so? Of course I wouldn't. 

It won’t is my educated guess

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't see any connection at all with the article you referred to or any connection between me ordering beer from Belgium last November or in fact buying Belgian beer from Tesco today. Where do you think that comes from, eh? I put @Archied back on 'ignore' because he is either intentionally trolling me or he is making a fatuous comment in order to score message-board points by extracting 'likes' from people like you.

Should I, in order to comply with your tedious and on the face of it rather pathetic argument, stop buying any produce from overseas? 

Edit: Do you think for one moment that if I thought that my actions were in any way responsible for the deaths of those close to me (that number is now 6, incidentally, following a phone call we received yesterday) or anyone else. for that matter, that I would continue buying rice, pasta, pak choi, Thai curry paste or Belgian beer I would continue to do so? Of course I wouldn't. 

I notice you have conveniently ignored my question. 

In summary, do you think ordering beer from Belgium, requiring for it to be imported was essential?

Although something is essential to you, others may not see it as essential.

Likewise, when you do not see it as essential that people who are really struggling with lockdown visit family/friends, they may see it as esseential. They also may not think it is increasing the chances of passing on the virus due to the fact that they have been nowhere and seen nobody.

I have absolutely no problem with anything you have done but I feel your blanket use of words such as Covidiots just shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.

Like you, Im sure nobody deliberately wants to contribute to deaths.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I notice you have conveniently ignored my question. 

In summary, do you think ordering beer from Belgium, requiring for it to be imported was essential?

Although something is essential to you, others may not see it as essential.

Likewise, when you do not see it as essential that people who are really struggling with lockdown visit family/friends, they may see it as esseential. They also may not think it is increasing the chances of passing on the virus due to the fact that they have been nowhere and seen nobody.

I have absolutely no problem with anything you have done but I feel your blanket use of words such as Covidiots just shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.

Like you, Im sure nobody deliberately wants to contribute to deaths.

Yep I really believe if anyone is going to set themselves up as an extreme stone thrower they really need to be making sure they are doing everything in they’re power to not put the lives of others at risk , within the rules is an easy get out 

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

image.thumb.png.8a999406371816e21b30a96b3be5c698.png

Its not the best of comparisons though is it?

Despite the conditions caused by the weather, and the fact that you could catch hypothermia, or your car lose control and crash into someone, the Government allow you to assess the risk and let you make your own decision on whether you think it is necessary to leave your house.

Maybe.

So do you think this latest lockdown was avoidable, if this minority of people breaking the rules had played ball? I don't. 

Clearly we'll never know the answer to that. I can tell you I'm positive that it hasn't helped the situation.

22 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This. I work as a manager in a factory making confectionery but I'm classed as a key worker. 

Not sure what damage it's going to do to peoples well being if they don't get their regular fix of Milk Tray chocs but as long as they're happy I guess.

What concerns me more is whether the oompah loompah's you employ are being quarantined on arrival? 

Can anyone tell me how the Covid app works?

Tonight my son received the stay at home message, shortly after my wife received the same.

My wife hasn't left the house since before Christmas, and he went to exercise in the park yesterday with a friend who doesn't have the app.

The contact couldn't possibly have been on her side, yet say my son was within 2 metres of a confirmed case for more than 15 minutes yesterday, would the app also ask her to self isolate as a contact of a contact, so to speak?

Can't find any answers online.

33 minutes ago, Rev said:

Can anyone tell me how the Covid app works?

Tonight my son received the stay at home message, shortly after my wife received the same.

My wife hasn't left the house since before Christmas, and he went to exercise in the park yesterday with a friend who doesn't have the app.

The contact couldn't possibly have been on her side, yet say my son was within 2 metres of a confirmed case for more than 15 minutes yesterday, would the app also ask her to self isolate as a contact of a contact, so to speak?

Can't find any answers online.

He must have been close to someone for the 15 mins who then registered their positive test. ?‍♂️
He then spent time with his mum. I dunno really I’m guessing but better safe than sorry. They should isolate.  

Very positive vaccine news: Israeli HMO Maccabi reports just 20 positive coronavirus tests out of 128,000 people who had their second Pfizer shot a week or more ago. None of the 20 were serious cases.

The HMO says most of the 20 were tested due to a known exposure to a confirmed Covid-19 case. Most were over 55. Half had a preexisting condition. None had a fever over 38.5°C. None needed hospitalisation.

Awaiting more details on this, to see if we're talking about 20 symptomatic cases or, even better, 20 cases total with positive PCR tests. The first would be great, the second would be amazing.

Worth pointing out, too, that Israel is in the midst of its worst Covid-19 wave so far, with around 10% test positivity.

Final point: 40-50% of Israel's Covid-19 cases are the B117 "British" variant. So this is also good news about the vaccine's ability to protect from that mutation.

So it looks like the government is going for it's normal practice and dithering on making a decision on who will  and who won't need to isolate in designated hotels when coming into the country.  

Why are we messing about just make everybody, including British citizens, coming into the country isolate in designated hotels.

The other day during a Downing Street briefing Matt Hancock urged us to follow the rules of staying at home, not going out were possible and keep our distance from others.

If the government considers these rules are good practice that individuals need to follow in helping beat this virus. Then surely it's only logical that it would would be prudent for our country has a whole to stay distanced and isolated from other countries, and help stop the virus and it's many variants spreading.

Archived