Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are clearly intelligent and I would assume you'd understand the leading indicators of infections, leading to hopitalisations, to deaths.

That you even try to make this argument is depressing. I assume you don't think Covid deaths are increased by lockdowns. How many deaths do you think we would have had without the lockdowns?

I imagine people at the WHO are significantly more intelligent than me when it comes to health issues.

When I called them into question over their original handling of the pandemic and their advice over wearing masks, lots jumped to their defence.

I have no idea on the death numbers. Wasnt the original estimate 250,000 if we went for herd immunity?

If we had gone down the herd immunity route, more people would have had the virus in the summer, would that have made any major difference?

It would appear the spring lockdown prolonged a lot of peoples lives by 9 to 12 months, did it save lives? No idea.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't the WHO advise against lockdowns?

I think they were all for it initially, but before long they'd Had Enough of Having Faith in Something Bigger, decided they we should Relax the restrictions, and so instructed everyone to Get Out In The Street especially in the summer so they could enjoy the Heat Wave

I might be getting the story confused at some points with that of Boris The Spider,  I Don't Even Know Myself all the details of what happened.

All I'd ask of people right now is Please Please Please follow the current guidelines.

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I imagine people at the WHO are significantly more intelligent than me when it comes to health issues.

When I called them into question over their original handling of the pandemic and their advice over wearing masks, lots jumped to their defence.

I have no idea on the death numbers. Wasnt the original estimate 250,000 if we went for herd immunity?

If we had gone down the herd immunity route, more people would have had the virus in the summer, would that have made any major difference?

It would appear the spring lockdown prolonged a lot of peoples lives by 9 to 12 months, did it save lives? No idea.

You have no idea vs the weight of nearly all scientific opinion. I just don't know who to believe more! I guess Toby Young is on your side too, so maybe that tips it in your favour.

49 minutes ago, Archied said:

Nope , same bloke in a different hat ,,,,, MY liberty is minuscule consideration in what is an ocean of complex and severe issues that deserve more than uncaring so if the best you have is mudslinging rubbish stick me on ignore and enjoy your echo chamber 

Sorry, I don't really understand that. Just try and think of how other people are feeling when you are rubbishing science and promoting dangerous mis-information.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

True. I had planned to see my mum come what may Christmas Day, but on the 22nd agreed with her that the risk was too much. Fortunately my mum agreed.

Less fortunate was my brother in law’s ex wife. She visited her parents, and it seems (unknowingly) transferred the virus leading to them both passing in the last week.  

God, that's horrible. So sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't the WHO advise against lockdowns?

The WHO advice was that lockdowns should not be the primary means of controlling the virus, and are a last-resort mechanism used in order to buy time..

Large scale physical distancing measures and movement restrictions, often referred to as ‘lockdowns’, can slow COVID‑19 transmission by limiting contact between people.

However, these measures can have a profound negative impact on individuals, communities, and societies by bringing social and economic life to a near stop. Such measures disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups, including people in poverty, migrants, internally displaced people and refugees, who most often live in overcrowded and under resourced settings, and depend on daily labour for subsistence.

WHO recognizes that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time.

Governments must make the most of the extra time granted by ‘lockdown’ measures by doing all they can to build their capacities to detect, isolate, test and care for all cases; trace and quarantine all contacts; engage, empower and enable populations to drive the societal response and more.

WHO is hopeful that countries will use targeted interventions where and when needed, based on the local situation.

Of course, this was widely reported in the press as the WHO saying "Stop lockdowns", and thus misinformation is spread. They also advocate "Herd immunity" as the only way out of the pandemic, but not exactly in the way that various posters on here are pushing for.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You have no idea vs the weight of nearly all scientific opinion. I just don't know who to believe more! I guess Toby Young is on your side too, so maybe that tips it in your favour.

Any chance you could publish the results of this survey that you carried out please?

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Of course, this was widely reported in the press as the WHO saying "Stop lockdowns", and thus misinformation is spread. They also advocate "Herd immunity" as the only way out of the pandemic, but not exactly in the way that various posters on here are pushing for.

Who is pushing for herd immunity and in what way?

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

We've ordered 60 million of these already, haven't we? 

We might have ducked up in many other areas, but in the vaccination ordering/manufacturing sites/roll out we have been world-leading. 

I don't think anyone, well maybe one or two spring to mind, could argue with that.

Got my appointment today as well ? couple of weeks time bill will be tracking my every move ?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sorry, I don't really understand that. Just try and think of how other people are feeling when you are rubbishing science and promoting dangerous mis-information.

What dangerous mis information have I promoted?

21 minutes ago, Norman said:

We've ordered 60 million of these already, haven't we? 

We might have ducked up in many other areas, but in the vaccination ordering/manufacturing sites/roll out we have been world-leading. 

We've bloody well needed to be.

With the highest number of fatalities / potential further fatalities in the entirety of Europe and our very own, more potent, strain of the disease it was imperative that we got this right, and for the most part we seem to have done. So well done so far 

As you say though we've ducked up in many ways - some seem to be looking at recent poor actions of the EU and making out it justifies every problem we've created for ourselves but... wrong thread! Say no more.

There's still a worry that we'll have cocked it up by pushing the period between doses to its very limit and prioritised numbers over effectiveness, but the result of that remains to be seen, it could be a masterstroke it could be a disaster 

Tell me mr riot of my own , are you shielding , do you have the luxury of working from home most or all of the time , are you retired and on a pension, are you furloughed ?

my son and I go out to work every day , that’s what we are told to do so we have to to survive , my wife has to work with children every day , that’s what’s she’s told to do so she has to to survive , my daughter is a teacher in a school for special needs children she goes out to work every day ,that’s what she’s told to do so that’s what she has to do to survive ,

now if anybody in the categories stated at the beginning of this post wishes to pay our mortgages so we don’t lose our homes , pay for our food , pay for our bills so we can have the choice of exposure to this virus then I’m very happy to come sit in your ivory tower ,take some moral high ground and chill whilst slagging off others , if not then I reserve the right to watch ALL of what is going on around me and form my own opinions ,

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Tell me mr riot of my own , are you shielding , do you have the luxury of working from home most or all of the time , are you retired and on a pension, are you furloughed ?

my son and I go out to work every day , that’s what we are told to do so we have to to survive , my wife has to work with children every day , that’s what’s she’s told to do so she has to to survive , my daughter is a teacher in a school for special needs children she goes out to work every day ,that’s what she’s told to do so that’s what she has to do to survive ,

now if anybody in the categories stated at the beginning of this post wishes to pay our mortgages so we don’t lose our homes , pay for our food , pay for our bills so we can have the choice of exposure to this virus then I’m very happy to come sit in your ivory tower ,take some moral high ground and chill whilst slagging off others , if not then I reserve the right to watch ALL of what is going on around me and form my own opinions ,

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home, although many others in my position are desperate to get back to work. Fortunately I still have a job and fortunately you do too.

You seem convinced that the government just want to control us and remove our liberties for some unspecified reasons. I'm glad their clampdown hasn't prevented your family from continuing to work though.

Fortunately I haven't lost anyone to Covid yet, but many people on here have, let alone those who have not mentioned it. I'm just asking you to bear their feelings in mind when posting your thoughts. I can't imagine it's particularly nice to have lost someone, then read posts saying the lockdown is pointless, the government just want to take our liberties away etc, especially when the general consensus is that dither and delay has caused both extra deaths and extra damage to the economy.

Archived