Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Can anyone tell me how the Covid app works?

Tonight my son received the stay at home message, shortly after my wife received the same.

My wife hasn't left the house since before Christmas, and he went to exercise in the park yesterday with a friend who doesn't have the app.

The contact couldn't possibly have been on her side, yet say my son was within 2 metres of a confirmed case for more than 15 minutes yesterday, would the app also ask her to self isolate as a contact of a contact, so to speak?

Can't find any answers online.

Their mistake is downloading the app.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

So it looks like the government is going for it's normal practice and dithering on making a decision on who will  and who won't need to isolate in designated hotels when coming into the country.  

Why are we messing about just make everybody, including British citizens, coming into the country isolate in designated hotels.

If only there were other countries with successful quarantine models that had nearly a year of experience with them, with data backing what does and does not make a successful implementation. It would be even easier if these countries were formerly colonies, spoke the same language, had political systems modeled on the UK's, and still had close ties with the UK more generally...

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Can anyone tell me how the Covid app works?

Tonight my son received the stay at home message, shortly after my wife received the same.

My wife hasn't left the house since before Christmas, and he went to exercise in the park yesterday with a friend who doesn't have the app.

The contact couldn't possibly have been on her side, yet say my son was within 2 metres of a confirmed case for more than 15 minutes yesterday, would the app also ask her to self isolate as a contact of a contact, so to speak?

Can't find any answers online.

Nah the app doesn't work like that, should only ping if you're in close contact with a confirmed case. How many days does it say? 

Other reason can be if you live in a terrace or semi detached and its picked up your neighbour. 

6 hours ago, Albert said:

If only there were other countries with successful quarantine models that had nearly a year of experience with them, with data backing what does and does not make a successful implementation. It would be even easier if these countries were formerly colonies, spoke the same language, had political systems modeled on the UK's, and still had close ties with the UK more generally...

Don't, you'll set them off in seethes of jealousy again.

5 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Or send us back to sleep ? 

At least I wasnt the only one to take the bait! Its good that Albert has got himself a fishing friend!

Anyway, you speak for yourself, I'm looking forward to hearing about Australia's response to the pandemic as not heard it mentioned yet.

Just hope it doesnt go over the top though because we all know nationalism is looked down upon on this thread...

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Nah the app doesn't work like that, should only ping if you're in close contact with a confirmed case. How many days does it say? 

Other reason can be if you live in a terrace or semi detached and its picked up your neighbour. 

10 days for both, we live in a semi.

Just a quick heads up folks - I received an email last night purporting to be from the NHS requesting that I click on a link to book my vacine appointment - for a phishing attempt it actually looked at first glance as if it may have been genuine so could easily fool people......

Other than the fact I'm not in the age group or category to be vacinated yet, the 'you must respond within 12 hours or your place will be allocated to someone else' set alarm bells ringing, but might panic older folk into clicking the links and handing over lots of personal information....

If you've got older relatives, let them know there are scumbags out there trying to harvest their information and be careful that they don't click on links in random vacine emails simply out of desperation to get the jab.....

20 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Maybe it is your next door neighbour... 10 days is the maximum number of days so it must be pretty recent that the phone pinged them. 

Colleague of mine got a ping on the 17th. He was in contact with the infected person on the 5th. Fab system.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I heard from someone from Florida yesterday who said things were pretty relaxed. She spent the day topping up her tan on a busy beach.

Good job the virus hasn’t hit the good ‘ol US of A.

When we had lockdown in Florida in March/April of last year other than gyms, hair salons etc, closing, nothing changed at all.

That attitude was set by Trump nationwide and his acolyte DeSantis in Florida and now Biden will have the devil's own job trying to reverse the perception from a third to half the population that it's ok not to wear masks.

After lifting social distancing measures DeSantis came out publicly In September or October to say the Super Bowl in Tampa will be full to capacity.

Fortunately, the NFL is smarter than the Governor and has set it at 20%.

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

When we had lockdown in Florida in March/April of last year other than gyms, hair salons etc, closing, nothing changed at all.

That attitude was set by Trump nationwide and his acolyte DeSantis in Florida and now Biden will have the devil's own job trying to reverse the perception from a third to half the population that it's ok not to wear masks.

After lifting social distancing measures DeSantis came out publicly In September or October to say the Super Bowl in Tampa will be full to capacity.

Fortunately, the NFL is smarter than the Governor and has set it at 20%.

I’m currently watching The Trump Show - Downfall. You really couldn’t make it up.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You can understand why the EU political leaders are under pressure to do something - even if it end up being empty threats. Their vaccine plan has been an appalling failure so far.

They haven't even authorised the AZ vaccine yet and they heavily backed a French one (due to pressure from the French) which has been delayed until late this year.

Such a pity we didn't join in with them!

Our supplies of the AZ vaccine are UK manufactured and we apparently have enough of all vaccines currently in the UK for at least all of the 15m high priority people.

Archived