Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

The country is now being told to use common sense in how we as individuals deal with this pandemic.

Good to see the people who have been claiming to know how to deal with the coronavirus are now passing on this responsibility to the general public.

But going by how a number of snowflakes are reacting to being asked to wear a mask. It looks as if common sense is in short supply

Interestingly the 'snowflakes' who are objecting to wearing masks are exactly the same people who call people snowflakes over every other issue. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

When I read the article I didn't see anything racist just a statement of fact

But a statement of fact that served no purpose. There was absolutely no reason to mention it (and of course there were no facts included to back it up, or explanation about why they even considered it relevant)

All that it serves to do is make Daily Mail readers even more prejudiced against "others". Blame the chinese for starting it, blame the "south asians" for spreading it, blame the BLM protesters for not socially distancing etc etc

I don't remember anyone calling it ageist or sexism when it has been highlighted that the older you are the greater risk you were at or that men seemed to be more vulnerable

No - because there were no articles implying that it was the old, or the males who were to blame for it spreading. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you

45 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But a statement of fact that served no purpose. There was absolutely no reason to mention it (and of course there were no facts included to back it up, or explanation about why they even considered it relevant)

All that it serves to do is make Daily Mail readers even more prejudiced against "others". Blame the chinese for starting it, blame the "south asians" for spreading it, blame the BLM protesters for not socially distancing etc etc

No - because there were no articles implying that it was the old, or the males who were to blame for it spreading. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you

I shouldn't worry yourself about it, you're very unlikely to catch it with your head in the sand...

The use of masks has certainly increased but it’s totally unenforceable.

If someone says they can’t wear a mask that’s the end of it,you aren’t going to start interrogating people as to why and ask for medical evidence.

I will be interested to see what happens Friday morning,I would imagine it will be more of the same.

The vast majority of people being nice,a small minority being unhappy about it but getting on with it and an even smaller group being rude and abusive.

I’ve had to wear a mask for months,largely for the benefit of everyone else,something which has not bothered me in the slightest.

Some people have refused so they are sat at home on unpaid leave.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

But doesn't the statement of fact help reinforce the message that people from certain communities seem to be at greater risk? I read it that they're at greater risk as a community rather than that community is spreading it to others. 

Same with your second point. I didn't read it that that community were to blame just that they seem to be at greater risk. I don't remember the article implying that the community were guilty of spreading the virus. 

On the basis of the above (I.e. highlighting a greater risk rather than blame) I think there are good similarities.

Personally, I think you've read too much into it and possibly looking for a racist slant and I can't help you with that.

As I say, funny how people read different things into the same article. I've read the article as this is a worry for this community whilst you seem to have read it that the Mail is trying to blame them. 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But doesn't the statement of fact help reinforce the message that people from certain communities seem to be at greater risk? I read it that they're at greater risk as a community rather than that community is spreading it to others. 

Same with your second point. I didn't read it that that community were to blame just that they seem to be at greater risk. I don't remember the article implying that the community were guilty of spreading the virus. 

On the basis of the above (I.e. highlighting a greater risk rather than blame) I think there are good similarities.

Personally, I think you've read too much into it and possibly looking for a racist slant and I can't help you with that.

As I say, funny how people read different things into the same article. I've read the article as this is a worry for this community whilst you seem to have read it that the Mail is trying to blame them. 

I've just re-read the article and still cannot see any racism slant to it at all.

It would be like saying it is ageist reporting that most of the Covid 19 deaths have been people over 60.

Some people just dont like facts unfortunately.

Spent a few days in Cornwall, didn't do pubs or restaurants. Only saw one person in a mask. But didn't do supermarkets, only 'tourist type' shops, lots of hand sanitizer, and restricted number entry. Some general social distancing outside.

Yes, sorry you're right. The Daily Mail are only looking out for the South Asian community. The big hearted inclusive daily mail. Not trying to infer any blame at all. My bad

So PHE/ONS has admitted the way it calculated Covid deaths was flawed and they will no longer be published, thus the general population will be even more in the dark than usual about this disease. The tone appears to be it was not as bad as we thought and its getting better quicker. This is possibly true due to a death now irrespective of reason, of anyone who had Covid even months ago being  counted.

I don't normally lean towards conspiracy theories but as the Government tries to open up the economy the timing of this announcement stinks!

50 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So PHE/ONS has admitted the way it calculated Covid deaths was flawed and they will no longer be published, thus the general population will be even more in the dark than usual about this disease. The tone appears to be it was not as bad as we thought and its getting better quicker. This is possibly true due to a death now irrespective of reason, of anyone who had Covid even months ago being  counted.

I don't normally lean towards conspiracy theories but as the Government tries to open up the economy the timing of this announcement stinks!

Same approach the country of the other 'leader' with the ridiculous hair is taking. Hmmmm.

51 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

ONS death rates will still be published so there is a guide for all to see.

Not sure what the numbers prove anyway?

What is anything measured against?

I remember the Chief Medical Officer saying if deaths were kept below 20,000 we will have done well.

We have obviously not done very well so beyond that what do the numbers prove?

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember the Chief Medical Officer saying if deaths were kept below 20,000 we will have done well.

But therein lies the problem when the media push for numbers. Back in Feb/March we had no idea about this virus and the media are pushing for a number.

If the CMO had said keep it under 50k, would there be back patting going on right now?

Anyone - only clear stat for me is to look at the excess over the 5-year trend average. I almost think if the numbers go down by 2-4,000 then so what - in the grand scheme of things that doesn't make a big difference....

What is confusing me is why so many people in the medium to long term seem to be against taking a vaccine?

11 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yes, sorry you're right. The Daily Mail are only looking out for the South Asian community. The big hearted inclusive daily mail. Not trying to infer any blame at all. My bad

Are Derbyshire Live a racist organisation too? I see they have reported that it is mainly in South Asian population.

Unsurprisingly, the BBC arent even reporting it.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am surprised the WHO havent shown more leadership in publishing details how deaths should be measured.

Many countries are doing them in different ways.

Sith Happens

Have had my first visit to a pub this weekend. It was excellent in my opinion, tables marked out to keep 2 meters apart, temperature checks on entry, Details taken T & T.

Table service, disposable glasses, Contactless Payments.

Really impressed with the pub.

Went into a co-op yesterday, wasn't that busy but several customers in, we were the only ones in masks.

I really do struggle with a mask, i know its because of my asthma and having issues with confined spaces but the needs of the many and all that.

12 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

No apology necessary. Accepting I could be right will suffice.?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I am surprised the WHO havent shown more leadership in publishing details how deaths should be measured.

Many countries are doing them in different ways.

They are still probably covering their own arses and deciding whether people should be wearing masks or not.

Archived