Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Well yes, there will be a number of people reluctant to go out. But I don't think the masks are part of that problem. There will be a big push towards people moving away from high street shopping and towards online, and hopefully there will be a big push towards getting shops digitally prepared. But I think that's happening already. 

I was presuming the OP was talking about the seemingly US centric view of there being some inherent human rights restrictions in making people wear masks, and the customer base will be more militant in their refusal to wear them.

No - The general reluctance a large population of the UK have to wearing masks (of which I am one of them). So it'll deter people from going shopping in town and thus jobs are the long term knock on effect.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rammieib said:

No - The general reluctance a large population of the UK have to wearing masks (of which I am one of them). So it'll deter people from going shopping in town and thus jobs are the long term knock on effect.

I don't think anyone has any problem with you staying at home if you won't wear a mask.

I hope you do stay at home.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't think anyone has any problem with you staying at home if you won't wear a mask.

I hope you do stay at home.

Thank you - I'm glad you've been shouting about mask usage for 4 months as well.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Thank you - I'm glad you've been shouting about mask usage for 4 months as well.

I have.

If you don't wear a mask, you contract coronavirus then pass the infection on to somebody, how would you feel?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I have.

If you don't wear a mask, you contract coronavirus then pass the infection on to somebody, how would you feel?

If I eat meat how would feel being presented with the family of the animal I just ate? Do I buy free range eggs. 

Give to every charity I see?

If I drive a car, do I want to see children I 'could' have just run over? 

If I don't recycle properly or buy free trade will I feel terrible like I could be killing the planet ? 

I am selfish. Most people are. The argument for wearing a mask just wasn't /isn't that persuasive for me personally. It is for you. 

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Probably 80-90% of people haven't been wearing masks?  Why? 

You have a source for that stat?

Is it based on going out and knowing you wouldn't be in contact with others (going for a walk, for example) or is it based on possible / probable contact? Or is it anecdotal? Or completely made up?

I don't know why people would have objections to wearing a mask. If there's a small possibility of stopping the spread of infection you might not know you have, is it not worth it?

34 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You have a source for that stat?

Is it based on going out and knowing you wouldn't be in contact with others (going for a walk, for example) or is it based on possible / probable contact? Or is it anecdotal? Or completely made up?

I don't know why people would have objections to wearing a mask. If there's a small possibility of stopping the spread of infection you might not know you have, is it not worth it?

My own eyes, which I trust more than most things. If you have a different opinion or stat that's wildly conflicting why not say that. 

My children have been in school and soon enough will be in classes of 29 other children. I sat in a pub beer garden yesterday and there was a table of about 10 blokes all sat very close together. There were about 20 lads playing 5 aside on the park as I walked there with the missus. 

People are flying off around the world. 

Wearing a mask as I carefully buy a loaf of bread seems the very least of our problems. I will do it, but it seems pretty pointless to me. 

28 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

My own eyes, which I trust more than most things. If you have a different opinion or stat that's wildly conflicting why not say that. 

My children have been in school and soon enough will be in classes of 29 other children. I sat in a pub beer garden yesterday and there was a table of about 10 blokes all sat very close together. There were about 20 lads playing 5 aside on the park as I walked there with the missus. 

People are flying off around the world. 

Wearing a mask as I carefully buy a loaf of bread seems the very least of our problems. I will do it, but it seems pretty pointless to me. 

I don't have a different opinion. I did't know what your stat was based on. A percentage is not an opinion, so I can't have a different one. You presented something as fact and I wanted you to give sources. That's all.

You don't have to go anywhere near people not wearing a mask. You can social distance in the street etc. It doesn't take an awful lot of imagination to work out what might happen in a pub. It's easy to avoid the situation.

Not sure what's happening round your way, but our kids aren't going back to school - it's the end of the school year next week anyway - we can keep them away. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I have.

Out of interest, considering the flu has been around for years, why haven't masks been compulsory since time began to stop the spread of it?

Why isnt driving banned as that kills or seriously injured thousands every year?

Why isnt smoking banned - God knows how many lung cancers that leads to.

But yeah, when we are at 10% of the peak, for both deaths and cases (We are 40% down since the start of July), let's introduce a face mask rule.

Sorry for my scepticism but there are so many more bigger risks and dangers out there now which we have no rules or controls in place for.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

If I eat meat how would feel being presented with the family of the animal I just ate? Do I buy free range eggs. 

Give to every charity I see?

If I drive a car, do I want to see children I 'could' have just run over? 

If I don't recycle properly or buy free trade will I feel terrible like I could be killing the planet ? 

I am selfish. Most people are. The argument for wearing a mask just wasn't /isn't that persuasive for me personally. It is for you. 

Fair enough - or rather, unfair enough.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Out of interest, considering the flu has been around for years, why haven't masks been compulsory since time began to stop the spread of it?

Why isnt driving banned as that kills or seriously injured thousands every year?

Why isnt smoking banned - God knows how many lung cancers that leads to.

But yeah, when we are at 10% of the peak, for both deaths and cases (We are 40% down since the start of July), let's introduce a face mask rule.

Sorry for my scepticism but there are so many more bigger risks and dangers out there now which we have no rules or controls in place for.

Face masks will only be compulsory for shopping.

If you refuse to wear one, then you will be faced with a simple choice - pay £4 for home delivery of £100 for being a criminal.

As far as the "why haven't they been made compulsory before now?" is concerned, you have a stupid, incompetent government who are consistent only in their inconsistency.

Oops. Politics again.

It appears that the £100 fine will not happen, the police cannot enforce a government guideline, its not a criminal offence not to wear a mask..

The worst that can happen is if shops employ security guards to stop people entering if not wearing a mask.

I'll pop a mask on to do me weekly shop but I'll be in and out within 10 minutes.

The economy will be completely shot, its not a natural thing to cover yer face so as long as the government tries to peddle this ridiculous concept normal shopping behaviour will never happen.

Keeping two metres apart and washing your hands regularly will keep infection down, wearing masks will encourage people to get closer thinking its safe.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Keeping two metres apart and washing your hands regularly will keep infection down, wearing masks will encourage people to get closer thinking its safe.

It'll only encourage the simpletons and dimwi....

Hang about. You're right, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

There are scinace are saying wearing masks offer very little protection. I tried wearing one while I had viscar that cover my whole face.  I found wearing mask hobile you can barley breath in them.

I went for a hair cut and the chap had exactly the same problem so I suggested he took the mask off and just left the visor on as I was fine with that.

I was wearing a mask too (but no visor).

Are you asking people to wear masks in cinema b4?

On 14/07/2020 at 19:22, Eddie said:

There are reasons not to wear a mask. I can think of three off the top of my head:

1. You have a serious lung condition which affects your breathing
  2. You are a carer for a deaf person who relies on lip-reading
  3. You are working in an environment where wearing a mask would potentially be detrimental to the health of others

The people expressing various degrees of butthurtery are basically saying "I don't care if I kill you".

I offered you a medical reason but it appears that you have heard enough from the experts, well at least the ones that dont agree with you.

16 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Well yes, there will be a number of people reluctant to go out. But I don't think the masks are part of that problem. There will be a big push towards people moving away from high street shopping and towards online, and hopefully there will be a big push towards getting shops digitally prepared. But I think that's happening already. 

I was presuming the OP was talking about the seemingly US centric view of there being some inherent human rights restrictions in making people wear masks, and the customer base will be more militant in their refusal to wear them.

Despite the fact that there is a reasonably high percentage of posters in this thread saying they think it is a problem?

Archived