Coronavirus

1of4

Sith Happens
39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They are still probably covering their own arses and deciding whether people should be wearing masks or not.

or if there is an outbreak of novel coronavirus in China ?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

They are still probably covering their own arses and deciding whether people should be wearing masks or not.

Are they leading by example and saying we should be covering our arses with masks now? ? I think I’m going to need a bigger mask.

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Have had my first visit to a pub this weekend. It was excellent in my opinion, tables marked out to keep 2 meters apart, temperature checks on entry, Details taken T & T.

Table service, disposable glasses, Contactless Payments.

Really impressed with the pub.

Went into a co-op yesterday, wasn't that busy but several customers in, we were the only ones in masks.

I really do struggle with a mask, i know its because of my asthma and having issues with confined spaces but the needs of the many and all that.

So do mate I have asthma I hate masks with flaming passion but big cats never think of these things.

Sith Happens
30 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

So do mate I have asthma I hate masks with flaming passion but big cats never think of these things.

Its tough i know.

Hopefully in a few months we will be over the worst and this sort of stuff will be a thing of the past

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Whats bettering none of brother unless cameras on them only for show.

I'll do it cameras or not 

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

They do think about these things. There will be those who will be able to obtain an exemption but, for the rest of us (such as myself with mild, not severe by any means, asthma) just need to put up with it or stay away from places they are required.

We've had compulsory wearing of face masks in shops and busy places for several weeks now. As of today they are compulsory in any public place. I've not been myself, but even on the beach. In bars and restaurants they must be worn at all times except the moment of consumption. I've heard a few moans, but generally people have been pretty good with regards wearing them.

I did put a mask on for my last supermarket visit, may as well get used to it.

I don't object to wearing masks at all, but it does feel like overkill when you consider just how small your chances of actually catching the virus and passing it on are currently, especially if you take into consideration all the other preventative measures you can take. It feels like everyone driving 5mph in a 50 zone to avoid an accident or getting caught by a speed camera.

I can't say it was an enjoyable experience, although it probably didn't help that I was a little hungover and de-hydrated anyway.

I felt extremely paranoid, I felt in far more danger than I actually was. All the slow breathing in and out as to not steam up my glasses (wherever I wore them, it was unavoidable) made it feel like I was trying to suppress a panic attack. Deep deep breaths once back outside were necessary to stop my head spinning.

They may be worn over the mouth/nose, but that still somehow has an effect on your periphery vision especially with moving glasses up and down your nose.

I can defintely see it will be difficult for some people, physically and mentally.

If (not really an 'if', it isn't a choice!) I'm going to wear one I might as well offend people while I'm at it. The woman on the checkout genuinely stared at me in disgust because I was wearing this...

101666981_121698222886068_73113357891956

I've got a pack of 5 coming from work tomorrow, I'll see if they're more comfortable and breathable. I hope so.

Some good news. Potentially really good.....

The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53467022

9 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Some good news. Potentially really good.....

The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53467022

Good news but does not sound like it stops hospital admission which has always been the main worry hasnt it?

Just out of interest how are the EUs vaccine developments coming along? Youd have thought with expertise from 27 countries pooled together they would be leading the way?

On 19/07/2020 at 10:07, G STAR RAM said:

ONS death rates will still be published so there is a guide for all to see.

Not sure what the numbers prove anyway?

They havent got a clue

What is anything measured against?

Everyone until they realised that they havent got a clue and the numbers proved it

I remember the Chief Medical Officer saying if deaths were kept below 20,000 we will have done well.

We have obviously not done very well so beyond that what do the numbers prove?

When you don't have a clue, it tends to go wrong, really wrong in this case

I tried to reply....

Be humble, watch and learn what Jacinda Arden is doing.

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I tried to reply....

Be humble, watch and learn what Jacinda Arden is doing.

Of course she has done well but it is pointless comparing New Zealand with ourselves.

Small country, small population, low population density.

I've not heard much reporting on the state of New Zealand's economy either...

On 19/07/2020 at 21:51, Coconut said:

I did put a mask on for my last supermarket visit, may as well get used to it.

I don't object to wearing masks at all, but it does feel like overkill when you consider just how small your chances of actually catching the virus and passing it on are currently, especially if you take into consideration all the other preventative measures you can take. It feels like everyone driving 5mph in a 50 zone to avoid an accident or getting caught by a speed camera.

I can't say it was an enjoyable experience, although it probably didn't help that I was a little hungover and de-hydrated anyway.

I felt extremely paranoid, I felt in far more danger than I actually was. All the slow breathing in and out as to not steam up my glasses (wherever I wore them, it was unavoidable) made it feel like I was trying to suppress a panic attack. Deep deep breaths once back outside were necessary to stop my head spinning.

They may be worn over the mouth/nose, but that still somehow has an effect on your periphery vision especially with moving glasses up and down your nose.

I can defintely see it will be difficult for some people, physically and mentally.

If (not really an 'if', it isn't a choice!) I'm going to wear one I might as well offend people while I'm at it. The woman on the checkout genuinely stared at me in disgust because I was wearing this...

101666981_121698222886068_73113357891956

I've got a pack of 5 coming from work tomorrow, I'll see if they're more comfortable and breathable. I hope so.

Brilliant mask. Did it come from Ginger's website?

4th week running that deaths are below the 5 year average.

So over the past 4 weeks, deaths have been 982 below the 5 year average, despite there being 2287 recorded Covid deaths.

Media not keen on reporting numbers now the movement is going the other way though I notice.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A 9 page document, some 7 or 8 months into a global pandemic, that concludes it would be good to get a vaccine ???

I've done you a favour and read through the short document and picked out the commitments, as you found it amusing. Now please tell me:

1. What's the UK equivalent strategy? Where it it publicised? How does it compare to the EU one now we're free to do what we want without the EU telling us what to do?

2. What of the below list do you object to?

Confirmation the EU will support the best development candidates towards production of a vaccine
Confirmation they will work with the WHO to create a vaccination framework
Agreed co-operative approach between member states (France, Germany, Italy and Holland started, others to join)
Centralised procurement
Commission to deal directly with vaccine manufacturers on nation states' behalf
2.7 billion Euro allocated towards procurement
Vaccine supply to be determined based on population
All nation states to be represented in the body that is involved with procurement
Evidence based criteria for selection of potential candidates for vaccine production
Financial guarantees for vaccine producers from European Bank
Flexibility around regulations for vaccine production to account for the urgency of the requirement
Scientific support for vaccine developers
Co-operation on clinical trials with EU members, WHO and third party developers
Authorisation process reduced to 1 week
Agreed temporary derogation on Genetic Modification specifically for COVID vaccines
9.8 billion Euro pledged to universal access between members
Work with WHO towards a global vaccination strategy

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

4th week running that deaths are below the 5 year average.

So over the past 4 weeks, deaths have been 982 below the 5 year average, despite there being 2287 recorded Covid deaths.

Media not keen on reporting numbers now the movement is going the other way though I notice.

I'm not sure where your going with this one to be honest.  Over 550 people a week are still dying from this infection then. I would imagine that's still a good 30% higher than seasonal flu in the winter and over a more varied demographic.  The 982 deaths less may be less traffic accident, less heart attack related death due to high altitude exposure (planes) or through exercise and manual work, less industrial injury in the workplace ?

Archived