Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Despite the fact that there is a reasonably high percentage of posters in this thread saying they think it is a problem?

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's your MO - what's that percentage? I presume you've worked it out as it's "reasonably high"?

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's your MO - what's that percentage? I presume you've worked it out as it's "reasonably high"?

Could it be that the desire to wear or even to advocate the wearing of masks, in the confines of this one thread on this one forum, align politically?

The people who most vociferously object are, by and large, the ones I would have predicted would do so.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Could it be that the desire to wear or even to advocate the wearing of masks, in the confines of this one thread on this one forum, align politically?

The people who most vociferously object are, by and large, the ones I would have predicted would do so.

And, frankly, most people seem to be accepting of wearing a mask. I'm disappointed that it's taken months to decide they aren't pointless, but at least as we start to come into closer contact with people it'll be of greater benefit than it would have been in March. 

I was reading an article that linked lower rates of infection to countries that routinely have their populations wearing masks. Would be good to know more detail about the data though.

I just wish we were all carrying guns, so we head down to City Hall and protest threateningly about why this fascist regime are denying us our right not to wear a mask when grocery shopping (but not in pub, restaurant, takeaway, school etc etc).

This style of protest against lockdown worked brilliantly in the USA and I see that they have pretty much eradicated Covid over there.

17 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

I will wear a mask no problem-but its not a pleasant experience hence i will only visit shops as a necessity doing as much online shopping as possible-sorry High st

My shopping habits have changed significantly over the last 16 or 17 weeks, although I'm now venturing out a little (ok, I've been to two shops since lockdown). The prospect of the presence of wild anti-maskers is not going to encourage me to spend any more time in their presence than I have to.

27 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

I will wear a mask no problem-but its not a pleasant experience hence i will only visit shops as a necessity doing as much online shopping as possible-sorry High st

I don't think many people enjoy wearing a mask (I know there's some fetishes that you might get up to behind closed doors where you find the wearer finds it particularly pleasurable!) and of course the lack of consistency on the message about masks is concerning. But I think most people understand the arguments behind them and are willing to put up with it. Of course we'll all be extra aware of what we buy and will decide how important that shopping trip is to us - but in general, I think most people have the same outlook as you. Will wear it, won't enjoy it, won't do it if I don't have to.

In general quite sensible. Might even stop some of our natural wastefulness as a population.

Sith Happens
49 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Im the same as you, i suffer from Asthma, Claustrophobia at times so it wont be easy, but i have had to do it for medical appointments already and i will manage.

We shop online, ive been in my local shop twice since March and thats it.

I am planning to venture to the pub for the first time today, this pub is geared up for outdoor and its a nice day so hopefully should be trouble free.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Despite the fact that there is a reasonably high percentage of posters in this thread saying they think it is a problem?

What is the percentage do you reckon?

Ten people on this thread objecting to wearing face masks may make it look like a lot of people object. However, such a number is hardly representative of this forum or Rams fans in total let alone the whole population. What I’m trying to say is that it only takes a handful of people commenting on forums like this to make it look like a widespread view.

I have started wearing a face covering now and, whilst not very comfortable (I wear glasses and am mildly asthmatic) I will happily continue to do so for the greater good.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Ten people on this thread objecting to wearing face masks may make it look like a lot of people object. However, such a number is hardly representative of this forum or Rams fans in total let alone the whole population. What I’m trying to say is that it only takes a handful of people commenting on forums like this to make it look like a widespread view.

I have started wearing a face covering now and, whilst not very comfortable (I wear glasses and am mildly asthmatic) I will happily continue to do so for the greater good.

To be fair I have no idea, I was just looking at it in the context of this thread.

Cant say I have personally spoken to anyone yet that thinks it is a great idea and will make any major effect.

Yet the very same people were all happy to follow the social distancing guidelines, and agreed that was the right thing to do.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Top tip - pulling your glasses about half an inch further forward on your nose helps to stop them steaming up a little. Also, after cleaning them normally, give them a dunk in a very dilute solution of soapy water and allow them to air-dry.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair I have no idea, I was just looking at it in the context of this thread.

Cant say I have personally spoken to anyone yet that thinks it is a great idea and will make any major effect.

Yet the very same people were all happy to follow the social distancing guidelines, and agreed that was the right thing to do.

Masks and social distancing aren't an 'either/or' situation.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Top tip - pulling your glasses about half an inch further forward on your nose helps to stop them steaming up a little. Also, after cleaning them normally, give them a dunk in a very dilute solution of soapy water and allow them to air-dry.

Cheers Eddie. As it happened my glasses didn’t steam up so I must have done something right.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

And, frankly, most people seem to be accepting of wearing a mask. I'm disappointed that it's taken months to decide they aren't pointless, but at least as we start to come into closer contact with people it'll be of greater benefit than it would have been in March. 

I was reading an article that linked lower rates of infection to countries that routinely have their populations wearing masks. Would be good to know more detail about the data though.

As a slight counterpoint to that, was speaking to a colleague in HK this week, and he was saying that although they are avid mask wearers (the Chinese in particular are used to wearing masks in ANY city well before lockdown), they have just gone back into a more severe lockdown than at any point in the pandemic to date as infections are increasing again.

15 hours ago, Chester40 said:

If I eat meat how would feel being presented with the family of the animal I just ate? Do I buy free range eggs. 

Give to every charity I see?

If I drive a car, do I want to see children I 'could' have just run over? 

If I don't recycle properly or buy free trade will I feel terrible like I could be killing the planet ? 

I am selfish. Most people are. The argument for wearing a mask just wasn't /isn't that persuasive for me personally. It is for you. 

Given that we got no vaccine, I see masks, social distancing, hand washing as the best we can do for the time being for others and numero uno/ourselves. I understand that not all can wear a mask, it is not clear why you are not keen on masks. out of interest where do you stand on vaccination ?

Archived