Coronavirus

1of4

I've been calling into the office a couple of times a week to catch up with people or for meetings & I'm fine with that. It's only a 10 minute drive away.

I'm in no hurry to get back to the office full time, though probably half of my colleagues now are.

While the little one hasn't been able to go to school, it hasn't really been an option anyway and it has been hard sometimes when work is busy and my daughter needs supervising, so it's not fair to shift the entire burden onto Mrs Wolfie while she's working from home as well.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, sage said:

Daily Express today...

In the graph, posted by Samuel Tombs, chief economist of Macroeconomics, the UK's rolling average of weekly cases is now 16 percent above what it was on July 8 in hospitals. Due to this rise incases, he stated the UK was now "sleepwalking towards a second wave". Earlier, the UK's coronavirus death total rose by 110 in the last 24 hours the Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed. That rise now takes the UK's total to 45,422. The number of cases also rose by 445 taking the number of positive COVID-19 cases to 295,817. This may differ from previous statistics as this relates to cases across all settings. Face masks do protect the wearer, as well as people they come into contact with, from coronavirus, a new study has suggested - highlighting widespread confusion in the UK, where it is not even compulsory to wear them in shops yet. 

As soon as the report mentioned 110 in the last 24 hours it loses all credibility.

6 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Anyone feel good about being back in a busy office environment yet?

Or are we all happier working from home, given the benefits that have been shown?

Asking for a friend that has been ordered back into work with the reassuring line that "all reasonable steps are being taken to ensure your safety".

How does it feel to be in a poor circulated room full of people again?

I've been working all the way through.

18 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Or are we all happier working from home, given the benefits that have been shown?

Asking for a friend that has been ordered back into work with the reassuring line that "all reasonable steps are being taken to ensure your safety".

I’m back on Mondays only, WFH the other days.

I love being back. Proper, off the cuff conversations without feedback or worries about connection. However, it feels okay because there are only a few of us on each floor, split out over the week.

Screens arrive soon so more of us will be allowed back.That will be interesting.

I don’t feel I work as efficiently at home and I’m quite social. Others have said the lack of people around them helps. Each to their own.

Sith Happens
39 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m back on Mondays only, WFH the other days.

I love being back. Proper, off the cuff conversations without feedback or worries about connection. However, it feels okay because there are only a few of us on each floor, split out over the week.

Screens arrive soon so more of us will be allowed back.That will be interesting.

I don’t feel I work as efficiently at home and I’m quite social. Others have said the lack of people around them helps. Each to their own.

I have worked from home throughout and really found i have been more productive, have needed to be in fairness due to people on furlough meaning we have had more work to do.

We have been told it wont be until at least end of September to return in, and then i suspect it will be half say, as i am vulnerable i suspect i will be one of the last which i am ok about.

I work remote from my team anyway due to location ,and I know social distancing wouldnt be possible in the office i work in if fully staffed so think i will be left alone for a bit.

I get the social bit, i do miss that and am looking forward to seeing my colleagues again, do feel a bit sad that i could be in this week as most are Forest fans...so have had to make do with a few whatsapp messages.

On return I just hope people are more responsible, in the days running up to lockdown we had staff in coughing and spluttering with various bugs, probably wasnt Covid but the messages were clear at the time...stay at home...but people ignored them.

I really hope staff, and managers if they see someone not well, act responsibliy and not come in, go home, or send people home if they appear unwell. Are people going to be willing to do so with targets, and the potential of reduced/no pay if they do take time off?

This isnt just our business its businesses up and down the country.

We have seen that many of the public dont seem to have an ounce of common sense, its this, or the lack of that is the biggest worry for me.

Sith Happens
19 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Not directing this comment at your friend, but i wonder how many people will bemoan being in a room full of people again, but have enjoyed days on the beach under furlough crammed in with thousands of others?

13 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

I've been working all the way through.

Same. Part of me wishes we could send all our returnees home again. They don't do anything beyond spending all day fretting and whinging.

No dramas this morning,out of well over a thousand people who have been in I counted 3 who wanted to take issue.

A few people who had genuinely forgotten a mask,we didn’t have any but I had some spare which I gave out on the quiet.

People seemed happy that it was  now a rule.

Some people did have exemption cards which although not necessary did make it much less stressful for them and helpful for us.

My office was moving from Castle Donington to Maltby (Rotherham) this year anyway and I was apprehensive about commuting 2 and a half times the distance/time, so I was already trialling working from home with the aim of only needing to drive up there a couple of times a week.

It's turned out well for me tbh, proven that I don't really need to be in the office and the company like many others has had record results. There's no indication as yet when I'm going to start having to go in.

19 minutes ago, Coconut said:

My office was moving from Castle Donington to Maltby (Rotherham) this year anyway and I was apprehensive about commuting 2 and a half times the distance/time, so I was already trialling working from home with the aim of only needing to drive up there a couple of times a week.

It's turned out well for me tbh, proven that I don't really need to be in the office and the company like many others has had record results. There's no indication as yet when I'm going to start having to go in.

I think this is a pretty common experience. Was reading the comments in the media from someone the other day saying it would unwittingly be the end of the middle-class gravy train as it disassociates the physical location from the job and can therefore feasibly be done by anyone in the world (where standards of living are much lower and therefore cheaper to employ people)

I suspect a lot of companies might be tempted to go down that route - but god help them if they do. They will find that language and cultural barriers will quickly prove that to be a fallacy and they may not have much business left by the time the penny drops

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think this is a pretty common experience. Was reading the comments in the media from someone the other day saying it would unwittingly be the end of the middle-class gravy train as it disassociates the physical location from the job and can therefore feasibly be done by anyone in the world (where standards of living are much lower and therefore cheaper to employ people)

I suspect a lot of companies might be tempted to go down that route - but god help them if they do. They will find that language and cultural barriers will quickly prove that to be a fallacy and they may not have much business left by the time the penny drops

Could not agree more, also “low cost countries“ as they are tagged do not stay low cost when you factor in everything. 

15 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Question I have is how do we prevent the growing numbers that we are seeing in Spain and italy

I see Trump lite, aka Boris Johnson in his interview on the Beeb is doing his best to pass the buck for how poorly the original outbreak was dealt with. So I don't think we'll be any better in dealing with an increase in cases, as is happening in other countries.

8 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

No dramas this morning,out of well over a thousand people who have been in I counted 3 who wanted to take issue.

A few people who had genuinely forgotten a mask,we didn’t have any but I had some spare which I gave out on the quiet.

People seemed happy that it was  now a rule.

Some people did have exemption cards which although not necessary did make it much less stressful for them and helpful for us.

Went shopping with the missus today and wearing a mask seemed a real pain tbh.

Some places it was too warm as there was no air con on, with masks on it made it unbearable. We went to several shops, we were picking up bits and bobs and it seemed like we couldn't get what we wanted so ended up trawling several places.

Found wearing a mask for more than 10 minutes was an uncomfortable, miserable, alien experience. The missus detested it and has sworn to keep shopping down to the bare minimum or do it online and she can normally happily spend an afternoon in the Intu centre.

Perhaps we are the exception, but our experience today will keep us out of shops unless its absolutely necessary.

Archived