Coronavirus

1of4

15 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good news but does not sound like it stops hospital admission which has always been the main worry hasnt it?

But if the people admitted to hospital can be treated more effectively and recover more quickly, then that has the effect of increasing capacity in the system

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure where your going with this one to be honest.  Over 550 people a week are still dying from this infection then. I would imagine that's still a good 30% higher than seasonal flu in the winter and over a more varied demographic.  The 982 deaths less may be less traffic accident, less heart attack related death due to high altitude exposure (planes) or through exercise and manual work, less industrial injury in the workplace ?

Not really going anywhere, just pointing out that MAYBE Covid deaths have/are being overstated.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure where your going with this one to be honest.  Over 550 people a week are still dying from this infection then. I would imagine that's still a good 30% higher than seasonal flu in the winter and over a more varied demographic.  The 982 deaths less may be less traffic accident, less heart attack related death due to high altitude exposure (planes) or through exercise and manual work, less industrial injury in the workplace ?

No 550 per week are dying at some point after catching the virus. it;s highly likely most of those deaths were not due to Covid.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The other thing will be that a lot of very sick people have already died. I think the virus has taken out a significant number of sick amongst the population, who would make up the people who would be dying of various ailments. It's no shock to me that the death rate is down because it was inflated by Covid. Now Covid is fading away, there's less vulnerable people to die off.

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The other thing will be that a lot of very sick people have already died. I think the virus has taken out a significant number of sick amongst the population, who would make up the people who would be dying of various ailments. It's no shock to me that the death rate is down because it was inflated by Covid. Now Covid is fading away, there's less vulnerable people to die off.

Blimey. That description is almost of a cull.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No 550 per week are dying at some point after catching the virus. it;s highly likely most of those deaths were not due to Covid.

You wouldn't say - "550 people per week are dying of their injuries after being hit by cars, but it's highly likely that most of these deaths were not due to being hit by a car"

Died of a bleed to the brain after head hit concrete - nothing to do with the car that flung them in the air

I don't get why so many people are obsessed with whether the Covid mortality numbers are/have been overstated

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whilst accepting Covid may exacerbate existing conditions, I'm not sure I agree. Someone with COPD, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, be obese or be in there 80's could in theory have lived a considerable time longer without being Covid infected.  That may be six months or twenty years. That's without counting the many whose care has been impacted or delayed due to pull on resources. To ensure we can catch up on this treatment and start to stay on track, we need to very careful how much exposure there is to this still.  I'm not saying everyone has to stay indoors that's never feasible.  Personally, I think the masses on beach's, in park's, demonstrating, celebrating football promotions should have been managed earlier with more powers and common sense being used by local councils to navigate regional needs. There's been too much whining after the event and not enough common sense planning before. Repercussion for breaking measures should have been much harsher from the start as well.

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wait for the cancer wave over the next couple of years based upon the 200,000 people PER WEEK not currently being screened for colon and breast cancers.

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

what evidence do you have for this?

Some people are taking months to die of this.

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think there's almost an element of it. That's why we need to keep enforcing the social distancing rules and not get too arsey about wearing a mask. It's not for you - it's for the most vulnerable. Look at the death rate in nursing homes - a lot of very weak and vulnerable people in nursing homes.

34 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You wouldn't say - "550 people per week are dying of their injuries after being hit by cars, but it's highly likely that most of these deaths were not due to being hit by a car"

Died of a bleed to the brain after head hit concrete - nothing to do with the car that flung them in the air

I don't get why so many people are obsessed with whether the Covid mortality numbers are/have been overstated

32 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Whilst accepting Covid may exacerbate existing conditions, I'm not sure I agree. Someone with COPD, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, be obese or be in there 80's could in theory have lived a considerable time longer without being Covid infected.  That may be six months or twenty years. That's without counting the many whose care has been impacted or delayed due to pull on resources. To ensure we can catch up on this treatment and start to stay on track, we need to very careful how much exposure there is to this still.  I'm not saying everyone has to stay indoors that's never feasible.  Personally, I think the masses on beach's, in park's, demonstrating, celebrating football promotions should have been managed earlier with more powers and common sense being used by local councils to navigate regional needs. There's been too much whining after the event and not enough common sense planning before. Repercussion for breaking measures should have been much harsher from the start as well.

31 minutes ago, sage said:

what evidence do you have for this?

Some people are taking months to die of this.

Someone who tested positive in March, then made a full recovery, but dying of something completely unrelated today will be recorded as a covid death. 

There is currently no cut-off between a positive test and the date of death. Based on the current definition, no one can recover from the virus. 295,372 people have so far tested positive, and as things stand, that means we'll eventually end up with 295,372 covid deaths. I understand most countries (including Scotland, N Ireland and Wales) use a 1 month period before someone has recovered. A death after this period is not a covid death.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Someone who tested positive in March, then made a full recovery, but dying of something completely unrelated today will be recorded as a covid death. 

There is currently no cut-off between a positive test and the date of death. Based on the current definition, no one can recover from the virus. 295,372 people have so far tested positive, and as things stand, that means we'll eventually end up with 295,372 covid deaths. I understand most countries (including Scotland, N Ireland and Wales) use a 1 month period before someone has recovered. A death after this period is not a covid death.

So someone who takes 2 months to die is not a covid death?

I would suggest that if they die within hospital/care home/hospice having not been released home it is a covid death. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But not all deaths being recorded with covid are like that

I'm not saying that some people haven't been  miscounted but you said most which is completely different. 

The word some can be used as speculation, but it is unwise to use the word most without clear evidence.

Here is an alternative speculation. It is almost certain that some people died of Covid 19 in Dec/Jan/Feb without being tested. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wonder how many of these companies had links to MPs and how many were just con artists?

I don't really understand how so much can happen but then I thought the same about the previous 'goings on'. It's disheartening thinking of the sacrifices made by many. I hope these will be investigated.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

4th week running that deaths are below the 5 year average.

So over the past 4 weeks, deaths have been 982 below the 5 year average, despite there being 2287 recorded Covid deaths.

Media not keen on reporting numbers now the movement is going the other way though I notice.

Grrrr, that mainstream media!

First they say that 1000s might die, then they report how 1000s more than usual did die. Now we've all been lockdown for months, they won't even tell us that the number of deaths is back to normal levels.

If only they would tell us THE TRUTH, then we wouldn't have to wear masks.

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Grrrr, that mainstream media!

First they say that 1000s might die, then they report how 1000s more than usual did die. Now we've all been lockdown for months, they won't even tell us that the number of deaths is back to normal levels.

If only they would tell us THE TRUTH, then we wouldn't have to wear masks.

Guardian has the story about deaths being at lowest level. 3rd story down on their website. It's a conspiracy.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That would indeed be a bit stupid and a complete misinterpretation of the phrase "complete recovery"

Is this a verifiable fact then? That once you've had a positive Covid test, you will be recorded as a Covid death regardless of how or when you die in the future?

Cos let's be honest - it sounds like you just made it up

Archived