Coronavirus

1of4

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The mixed messages, worry, confusion and fear in our factory is unreal. On one hand we have senior management demanding normal production targets are met while 15% of the workforce are self isolating or off for 12 weeks  (classed at risk due to age or illness).

Also, office and non-production management are working from home while production line people are finding it impossible to keep a 2 metre distance.

Agency and temps are coming in to cover the absence, making it even more difficult to manage the situation. HR are working from home but demanding we contact everyone who's off to put pressure on them in case they're swinging the lead.

It seems very trivial compared to the conditions that NHS staff and carers are working in but its still mentally draining on shift.

Our owners are trying their best to make extra money out of it, not quite up to Sports Direct standard but having a good go.

This type of management pisses me off.. Okay you are in a critical industry, albeit biscuits and we do need to keep some sort of economy going. But ffs lead from the front, be there, be seen, do a couple of days work on the production line. Talk to people, listen and understand the concerns.. It’s not much to ask when you are asking a lot. You will learn loads as well..
Sometimes, people have no idea how to lead. You won’t always be liked but that comes with the pay packet.. But you can be respected and when the chips are down you will be staggered how much support you get back.

We did not discriminate between roles, okay easier for me, office work from home, sent the drivers home as well.. For what little we were doing, it was better to close rather than risk staff health. Different in your case but leaders need to be front and centre now more than ever.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those thinking of visiting elderly relatives this week, as tempting as it is, if you've followed the social distancing guidelines, you are probably 7 to 14 days away from being 99.9% sure that you havent got the virus.

I'm desperate to see my family. But for the sake of an extra week or two I think it's a sacrifice worth making rather than risk passing them the virus and living with the guilt of that for the rest of my life if anything happened to them.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To those thinking of visiting elderly relatives this week, as tempting as it is, if you've followed the social distancing guidelines, you are probably 7 to 14 days away from being 99.9% sure that you havent got the virus.

I'm desperate to see my family. But for the sake of an extra week or two I think it's a sacrifice worth making rather than risk passing them the virus and living with the guilt of that for the rest of my life if anything happened to them.

Have to say, that's the only reason we haven't seen Muckerette's 89 year old Dad in 3 weeks.
Fortunately, he has all his faculties, can still get about, and crucially, he has son (Muckerette's brother), daughter in law, and adult grandson all in the same household (and all staying home/not currently working), so less worry for us... in theory at least!

Interesting video I just stumbled across about how China have tackled their coronavirus outbreak 

It doesn't blame China for anything, just shows their hi-tech approach to dealing with it, makes ours look quite backwards in comparison.  Interesting viewing.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Obviously am going against the grain,  but its the corona thread so where else can someone ask  'where is the evidence that a 3...6.. 12 week lockdown isn't an over-reaction'? . 

I will do as I am told, and by the worldwide general reaction I would assume this is based on very good thinking. 

But I still believe there is  debate to be had, which will have to intensify as the restrictions have to be lifted at some point, so are you saying those deaths become 'meaningless' when that happens? 

I have a Grandparent who can't be buried properly, a member of my family has lost their job and another's business could well go under and they could lose their house. I have read and can understand how you rightly have your own personal concerns for your immediate family's health, but everyone has their own fears and pressures and they are entitled to discuss and state them if they are not abusive. 

Great post, and I really was not wishing to shut down debate. My guidance to @G STAR RAM was more to ward him off making himself unpopular by winding up loads of posters on this thread with an issue that no one at this point could prove or disprove. Not enough data is available. I greatly enjoy the counter-arguments that GSR often puts forward, in fact he is one of my favourite posters in here -@86 Schmokes & a Pancake too, although he might not believe that - but yesterday evening l just felt he needed to take some time out.

I sincerely hope GSR keeps posting on this thread, and in time we get some reliable data that supports the empirical evidence.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don't envy all those with elderly parents... wanting a face-to-face chat, a cuddle etc.

My mate/colleague mentioned that he may get his motorbike out this weekend, with missus riding pillion, and head down the A38 to see his mum (well into her 80's) in Burton (From Derby).
It's a terrace... straight into the living room from the street, no back garden worthy of the name.  She effectively lives in her chair in said living room, spending 90% of her time there... day and night.  With the help of her tippy-up chair and a zimmer, she can just about manage to put the kettle on, and nip to the loo (downstairs en-suite, so all on one level).  She's getting daily home help.  Help with meals, showering etc.
She's also a retired senior nurse, so knows the rules!
She also has... and is capable of using... Facetime, which I believe they are utilising at least every other day.

I called him a Bamford.  I reminded him of the adage about "The best thing you can do for mum is stay away".

Both my parents died decades ago, before I got through my teens, so of course, calling him a Bamford in this situation was extremely easy for me.  Does this make me the Bamford?  

Did I say... I don't envy folk in this situation.
May your decisions prove to be the right ones.

xxx

I agree with most of that, but interested in how many people the home help is visiting. If you mate and gf have been properly isolating for 2 weeks now, they are very unlikely to have the virus.

If the home help is visiting 8 people a day, and lives with anyone else still going to work, then it's probably safer for your mate to be going to his Mom's.

3 hours ago, ketteringram said:

@uttoxram75 out of curiosity, how is your place handling those who are doing the 12 week isolation thing? Are they using the furlough thing, sick pay, or something else?

Paying them if they have a letter from GP or hospital saying they're at risk.

Some have gone off because of child care are having to use hols or unpaid leave

Think there's a lot of sense being posted here most recently. On the subject of visiting elderly relatives, I've been feeling pretty torn myself. The old boy lives on his own as my stepmum died of cancer a while back and he's just had a cancer scare himself, though one he came through ok. I worry about him being in isolation too long, I worry about his weakened immune system, I worry that while he'd never say as much, he might be thinking, 'ungrateful little poo hasn't once been to see me'.

In truth, I did suggest popping to his but he lives in Bath which is an hour 15 from my place so it's hard with current restrictions in place. As regards the social distancing piece though, were he living down the road, I'd definitely go see him but only after the 14-16 day recommended quarantine period. Nobody wants to be 'killing with kindness' and that's the risk we all take if we cut corners right now. By all means go visit your mum, dad, aunt or whatever but keep them and your good selves safe in the process chaps and chappettes and even then, please observe the safety guidelines, for your own good as well as theirs. This is not a virus to be messed with.

Anyway, look after yourselves my fellow Rams fans. Hopefully this horrible virus will do one sooner rather than later and we can all then begin the process of getting back to some sort of normality.  In the meantime, stay safe one and all. 

Well I’m on day 16 today......day 17 tomorrow. ?

after that it’s back to work and potentially resetting to 0

Turning into a nightmare ?

Derby hospital have had restrictions on visitors for three weeks already - my mum has already been in there since January. It’s messing her up no end being away from family, she has lost track completely of the outside world and now been taken to the Radbourne mental health unit... she was perfectly fine before this lockdown.

I get the whole “stay inside save lives”, but my mum tried to kill herself because of this policy last Saturday and again on Wednesday. It isn’t helpful whatsoever to be away from her family and I’m an absolute nervous wreck not knowing if/when I’ll see her again. 

Im reading stories of murder and domestic violence, it’s becoming a circus. Just go herd immunity and stop this bs. Another four weeks... months of this will mentally kill a lot of people.

50 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think there's a lot of sense being posted here most recently. On the subject of visiting elderly relatives, I've been feeling pretty torn myself. The old boy lives on his own as my stepmum died of cancer a while back and he's just had a cancer scare himself, though one he came through ok. I worry about him being in isolation too long, I worry about his weakened immune system, I worry that while he'd never say as much, he might be thinking, 'ungrateful little poo hasn't once been to see me'.

In truth, I did suggest popping to his but he lives in Bath which is an hour 15 from my place so it's hard with current restrictions in place. As regards the social distancing piece though, were he living down the road, I'd definitely go see him but only after the 14-16 day recommended quarantine period. Nobody wants to be 'killing with kindness' and that's the risk we all take if we cut corners right now. By all means go visit your mum, dad, aunt or whatever but keep them and your good selves safe in the process chaps and chappettes and even then, please observe the safety guidelines, for your own good as well as theirs. This is not a virus to be messed with.

Anyway, look after yourselves my fellow Rams fans. Hopefully this horrible virus will do one sooner rather than later and we can all then begin the process of getting back to some sort of normality.  In the meantime, stay safe one and all. 

Well said, i am having similar conflicting feelings.

Haven't seen my mother in a month.  We talk on the phone every day, sometimes she calls to check if i am really at home because she was feeling my presence.  She is so frail that if she got this thing it would be the end of her, but she needs assistance with shopping and such.  Feel simultaneously sensibly responsible and carelessly absent.

Sith Happens
37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did I hear right yesterday?

Did Matt Hancock say we have order millions of antibody testing kits and then go on to say nobody has made one yet?

If so, who has he ordered them from?

Ebay 

On 03/04/2020 at 09:40, ramsbottom said:

Cheers Schmokes.

I'm not feeling too bad this morning.  No shivers or high temp, just a sore throat, that feels like it could turn into the tickly cough side of it.  Just a waiting game I suppose.  Certainly feel better for a decent nights kip...

Quick update, I never thought I’d be happy that I’ve come down With a car of sinusitis, but it’s looking more and more like that’s what I’ve got. My face was really aching last night so I popped a couple of Sudifed, and I’ve felt right as rain this morning. So much so that the Mrs has had me slaving away in the garden ???

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Great post, and I really was not wishing to shut down debate. My guidance to @G STAR RAM was more to ward him off making himself unpopular by winding up loads of posters on this thread with an issue that no one at this point could prove or disprove. Not enough data is available. I greatly enjoy the counter-arguments that GSR often puts forward, in fact he is one of my favourite posters in here -@86 Schmokes & a Pancake too, although he might not believe that - but yesterday evening l just felt he needed to take some time out.

I sincerely hope GSR keeps posting on this thread, and in time we get some reliable data that supports the empirical evidence.

A commendable post, I find it helpful to discuss things here in a relatively emotionless void to help me process things that are still fortunately fairly arms length for me. 

As an example, I have a close friend who was diagnosed with cancer in October. It's unclear how serious it is, but every next treatment /test /scan seems to suggest it ain't good. I can't help thinking of her a lot. She was struggling terribly as each crossroad seemed to be a wrong turn. She is now being pretty isolated too which is hard and gives her too much time to think. Initially as the virus started to spread, she must have thought 'stop moaning everyone, be glad you haven't got real problems'. 

Obviously she is now dealing with the duel concerns of appointments being cancelled, treatment delays and the threat of contracting the virus if she goes to hospital or gets further interventions (very much so and she is now getting treatment at home). 

She is also getting towards the time her sick pay will run out. Her husband is self employed and is now at home not earning. Her daughter is in her last year of University and due to complete training and look for work and everything is now up in the air for her but she can't come home as Mum is self isolating. 

There are no winners here. Everyone has stuff that is pushing them one way or the other and it's good we can respect each other's personal circumstances even if our own situation puts our needs at odds with their's at times. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I agree with most of that, but interested in how many people the home help is visiting. If you mate and gf have been properly isolating for 2 weeks now, they are very unlikely to have the virus.

If the home help is visiting 8 people a day, and lives with anyone else still going to work, then it's probably safer for your mate to be going to his Mom's.

Fully understand your points, and would struggle to argue against them... not that I wish to.

In all honesty, I know very little detail with regards to the home help, suffice to say there are both professionals and amateurs involved... the latter being my mates daughter/the old gals grand daughter, who has some carer qualifications, but has been out of that particular loop for a few years.  Now, she has her own family, including teens, and is of course flitting between the two respective homes on a daily basis, so there's obviously a risk there, but hey, someone has got to go around and look after the old gal.

My mate's visit would be purely social, and I'm a great believer that, whilst not one single one of us is currently living in the perfect world, cutting out 100% of the risks, the more we reduce the risks, the better chance we have of survival... and of saving those dear to us.  Him going to his mums house is a risk I'd be tempted not to take.  Add into the equation that his missus, who would be with him, is still working, in a factory environment, with a couple of dozen others, with only a minimal effort being achieved in everyone keeping their distance, by all accounts.  Obviously, she's not showing any symptoms, but what's to say she didn't catch it yesterday... and just isn't aware yet.  She could be taking it straight round to her mother in law's!

And that's just the physical side of the argument... or rather my opinion of it.
Add in @Papahet's scenario above, and my whole argument is immediately poo-poo'd!

There seems to be no right, and no wrong.  I guess we all have to do what we feel we have to, at a time we feel it.

I've had no worries on this score.  Either coronavirus-wise, or the many other reasons for many folk to worry about their parents, as age passes by, and general health (mental and/or physical) deteriorates.  I sometimes think losing my parents so early (both went in their 40's) appears to be a blessing all these decades later... and then I hate myself for thinking that!  

There's clearly no winners, that's for sure!

xxx

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did I hear right yesterday?

Did Matt Hancock say we have order millions of antibody testing kits and then go on to say nobody has made one yet?

If so, who has he ordered them from?

After hearing how the Yanks hijacked a consignment of masks, that were on a plane destined for Germany. So unless the kits are being made here. I'd send the RAF along with the SAS to collect them from wherever they're made, to make sure the Yanks don't try it with us.

Archived