Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine how I feel trying to do financial projections right now...head ready to explode!

Likewise, 

Moving numbers every week. What we were expecting 2 weeks ago are a million miles away from reality now. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm lucky that me mum only lives a mile away. I can drop off her groceries and stuff while doing me own shop. It breaks me heart to talk to her through the window as she's still grieving losing me dad before Christmas after 60 years of marriage, and I know she needs a hug.

Lots of people in far worse positions though.

I 'd love to give my mam a hug  mate but better safe than sorry and most important thing is just seeing her and having a chat and being with her. Get in the garden with her, bit of social distancing, Bob's ya uncle. That's what I'm doing. She can make me a bacon sandwhich, gonna FaceTime wife and kids. It's not ideal but she's cool with it, it's all we can do and it'll hopefully be back to relative normality in a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

I 'd love to give my mam a hug  mate but better safe than sorry and most important thing is just seeing her and having a chat and being with her. Get in the garden with her, bit of social distancing, Bob's ya uncle. That's what I'm doing. She can make me a bacon sandwhich, gonna FaceTime wife and kids. It's not ideal but she's cool with it, it's all we can do and it'll hopefully be back to relative normality in a few weeks.

Yep, thats what were doing

9 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

'Maybe its just a bit of gentle fear mongering to keep everyone inside over the Easter break?  Keeping the majority of people indoors for an entire month will really help limit the spread I guess.'

Think its going to be a bit more than a month-Family in Aus have been told on TV by their PM these measures will be in place till at least october unless a virus is produced

Yep, we’ve been told these measures will be in place for at least 6 months. At the moment we are testing 1 in 100 of the population,  with a death rate of .08 per million (30 overall). I believe Germany are doing better at 1 in 90. In contrast the great orange one is talking up the USA as the best but in reality they are testing 1 in 254.

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Wow. Maybe the sort of brave statement other world leaders should be making to prepare us unless, he prefers to under promise and over deliver. I'm assuming restrictions in Australia are similar to ours.

Only essential travel. One good thing, we seem to have the right people telling it exactly as it is. Expecting stage 3 restrictions to go to stage 4 and restrictions in place for at least 6 months.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine how I feel trying to do financial projections right now...head ready to explode!

I presume this is one of your wind ups where you can show your intellectual prowess against ordinary people.

Imagine how people feel trying to do next meal projections right now...

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

There are such things as key workers. How would the hospitals or food producers even homes carry on with no water electricity or drainage? People have to carry on. They are giving a service to the people of this country it’s not just the NHS that are out there. Some services need to be kept running because if not the consequences could be far worse.

Some do. And maybe people will have more respect now for public services.

but I’m not sure that without ppe and testing kits it’s essential to keep everything going. 

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I presume this is one of your wind ups where you can show your intellectual prowess against ordinary people.

You've completely lost me there I am afraid.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Come on mate ,people might just be trying to keep their heads as straight as they can 

7 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

There are such things as key workers. How would the hospitals or food producers even homes carry on with no water electricity or drainage? People have to carry on. They are giving a service to the people of this country it’s not just the NHS that are out there. Some services need to be kept running because if not the consequences could be far worse.

Yes, but this is a biscuit factory we are talking about.

Surely they can slow the conveyors down, spread out the workers to manage the distancing better, and maybe churn out 50% of the normal production.  Keep things ticking along, in the hope that the company survives, and everyone has a job to return to.
Stop bringing in the wild cards (temps/agency staff), see if there are enough volunteers to do the work, so that those who are 5h1tt1ng themselves and/or can afford time off can stay at home.

OK, that's just off the top of my head, and may well be ill-thought out and not at all practical, but already it sounds better than "Our owners are trying their best to make extra money out of it".

If it wasn't for the potential to put @uttoxram75 and his colleagues out of work, I'd be very tempted to boycott their biscuits for the foreseeable... Maybe as an alternative, I'll buy all their biscuits to save their jobs, but then shove each packet up the management's ar5e5... without dunking them first, of course!  ?

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes, but this is a biscuit factory we are talking about.

Surely they can slow the conveyors down, spread out the workers to manage the distancing better, and maybe churn out 50% of the normal production.  Keep things ticking along, in the hope that the company survives, and everyone has a job to return to.
Stop bringing in the wild cards (temps/agency staff), see if there are enough volunteers to do the work, so that those who are 5h1tt1ng themselves and/or can afford time off can stay at home.

OK, that's just off the top of my head, and may well be ill-thought out and not at all practical, but already it sounds better than "Our owners are trying their best to make extra money out of it".

If it wasn't for the potential to put @uttoxram75 and his colleagues out of work, I'd be very tempted to boycott their biscuits for the foreseeable... Maybe as an alternative, I'll buy all their biscuits to save their jobs, but then shove each packet up the management's ar5e5... without dunking them first, of course!  ?

I don’t see biscuit production as essential either. May be they should just walk out. 

I don't envy all those with elderly parents... wanting a face-to-face chat, a cuddle etc.

My mate/colleague mentioned that he may get his motorbike out this weekend, with missus riding pillion, and head down the A38 to see his mum (well into her 80's) in Burton (From Derby).
It's a terrace... straight into the living room from the street, no back garden worthy of the name.  She effectively lives in her chair in said living room, spending 90% of her time there... day and night.  With the help of her tippy-up chair and a zimmer, she can just about manage to put the kettle on, and nip to the loo (downstairs en-suite, so all on one level).  She's getting daily home help.  Help with meals, showering etc.
She's also a retired senior nurse, so knows the rules!
She also has... and is capable of using... Facetime, which I believe they are utilising at least every other day.

I called him a Bamford.  I reminded him of the adage about "The best thing you can do for mum is stay away".

Both my parents died decades ago, before I got through my teens, so of course, calling him a Bamford in this situation was extremely easy for me.  Does this make me the Bamford?  

Did I say... I don't envy folk in this situation.
May your decisions prove to be the right ones.

xxx

6 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I don’t see biscuit production as essential either. May be they should just walk out. 

I put a "COYRs" reaction rather than a "like", as it may be too easy to say walk out.  It's not my job, my earnings, my future.
I was very tempted to "like" your post, and would most likely walk out myself, in such a situation, but then I can sometimes be guilty of acting without thinking of the longer term consequences. 

Certainly not easy for those in such a situation, and yet another group that I don't envy.

Trying times!

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I think buddy, on a day when two young nurses in their 30’s have lost their lives help fight this virus, let’s run with the empirical evidence rather than wind people up seeking answers no one on here is able to give.

Obviously am going against the grain,  but its the corona thread so where else can someone ask  'where is the evidence that a 3...6.. 12 week lockdown isn't an over-reaction'? . 

I will do as I am told, and by the worldwide general reaction I would assume this is based on very good thinking. 

But I still believe there is  debate to be had, which will have to intensify as the restrictions have to be lifted at some point, so are you saying those deaths become 'meaningless' when that happens? 

I have a Grandparent who can't be buried properly, a member of my family has lost their job and another's business could well go under and they could lose their house. I have read and can understand how you rightly have your own personal concerns for your immediate family's health, but everyone has their own fears and pressures and they are entitled to discuss and state them if they are not abusive. 

Archived