Coronavirus

1of4

My partners friend is living with us at the moment. Talks so much ballocks about this virus, I'm starting to get annoyed. She's a right "doctor of knowledge", its driving me mad ? give me the facts, I dont care about the 5G rubbish rumours. The fake news is becoming a joke! Doesn't do anyone's mental health any good either.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's not so much the smoking, although that's obviously not helpful, it's more that smokers touch their face much more often than non smokers.

From what I understand, the amount of exposure you get to the virus does affect how severe the illness becomes - whist one exposure might infect you, and you infect others and may become ill, if you get loads of it from multiple exposures it can make things much worse and overwhelm the body's defenses.

I'm pretty sure the face touching aspect does have a part - it's a well known route for exposure to ionizing radiation if rad protection standards aren't properly enforced. i.e. the smokers leave the work area with some on their hands, go for a smoke and get it into their mouths and lungs and end up with a much larger radiation dose than they would have had from the same levels being outside the body.

Although for saying all that, the general bad effects of smoking on health i think obviously make it a worse position to fight covid19 from than not (and I say that as someone who used to go through a half ounce of rolling baccy everyday - vaping is a godsend)

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

My partners friend is living with us at the moment. Talks so much ballocks about this virus, I'm starting to get annoyed. She's a right "doctor of knowledge", its driving me mad ? give me the facts, I dont care about the 5G rubbish rumours. The fake news is becoming a joke! Doesn't do anyone's mental health any good either.

3some?

just a thought.

Don't really do opinions on this kind of thing as it can scare people .  I will however impart some information I have from a health professional at the coalface of this.  It's suspected that women may have a better chance of fending this off better than us blokes due to there  XX chromosome make up giving them two lots of defensive assistance . I like all blokes have XY so half the assistance  Sometimes the XX  can get confused and defend the same bit and create immunity deficiency . overall girls are probably better off though.

If you have a beard and wear a face mask, it greatly reduces it's effectiveness, Remove watches and rings when washing hands.

That's all in know.  Can't do much about the chromosomes i'm afraid , but the beards gone.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's not so much the smoking, although that's obviously not helpful, it's more that smokers touch their face much more often than non smokers.

And the issue that a lot of smokers have a permanent chest infection 

A few years ago I had a real bad case of double pneumonia, got down to less than 20% lung capacity. The oxygen level thing they put on you finger didn't register.   After a week in hospital and 3 months recovery I was fine, the consultant told me that I was only a couple of hours from not making it when I came in, and if I had been in any way a smoker, even a light one, I wouldn't have survived.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Don't really do opinions on this kind of thing as it can scare people .  I will however impart some information I have from a health professional at the coalface of this.  It's suspected that women may have a better chance of fending this off better than us blokes due to there  XX chromosome make up giving them two lots of defensive assistance . I like all blokes have XY so half the assistance  Sometimes the XX  can get confused and defend the same bit and create immunity deficiency . overall girls are probably better off though.

If you have a beard and wear a face mask, it greatly reduces it's effectiveness, Remove watches and rings when washing hands.

That's all in know.  Can't do much about the chromosomes i'm afraid , but the beards gone.

How would a bearded woman fare compared to a bloke?

just asking on behalf of a friend.

12 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Surely smokers are more likely to have some kind of damage to their lungs as well?

Many articles and opinions being published about our current approach and how we can't continue with this level of lockdown for too much longer. I agree. People have adjusted well to this lockdown. I believe come the end of April we should begin to have a rollback of the lockdown, but the elderly and vunerable should remain quarantined. 

To continue with banning gatherings in public and sports events with schools, colleges and Universities remaining closed. Larger scale businesses to include social distancing measures in the workplace, as with every business. 

Pubs, restaruants, cafe's, etc, to reopen for collection and delivery only. Shopping centres and high streets limiting footfall. 

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Many articles and opinions being published about our current approach and how we can't continue with this level of lockdown for too much longer. I agree. People have adjusted well to this lockdown. I believe come the end of April we should begin to have a rollback of the lockdown, but the elderly and vunerable should remain quarantined. 

To continue with banning gatherings in public and sports events with schools, colleges and Universities remaining closed. Larger scale businesses to include social distancing measures in the workplace, as with every business. 

Pubs, restaruants, cafe's, etc, to reopen for collection and delivery only. Shopping centres and high streets limiting footfall. 

I think it’s impossible to say when they should start to relax any of the restrictions and I wouldn’t want to pick an arbitrary date such as the end of April.

I’m thinking it’s dependent on three things:

1) Very low levels of new cases (haven’t South Korea said they want less than 50 a day?)

2) Very high levels of testing. If enough people aren’t being tested then the level of new cases will be unreliable.

3) NHS is in a good a position as it can be (not sure what would mean though) in terms of capacity and resources in case it flares up again.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well in my job I cant really socail diatanceing mate as I have talk to the public. 

So do checkout operators in supermarkets, but they have quickly adapted in many places to put perspex screens between staff and customers.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it’s impossible to say when they should start to relax any of the restrictions and I wouldn’t want to pick an arbitrary date such as the end of April.

I’m thinking it’s dependent on three things:

1) Very low levels of new cases (haven’t South Korea said they want less than 50 a day?)

2) Very high levels of testing. If enough people aren’t being tested then the level of new cases will be unreliable.

3) NHS is in a good a position as it can be (not sure what would mean though) in terms of capacity and resources in case it flares up again.

I agree with the criteria. However it shouldn't be new cases but hospital admissions or something as infection rates in this climate are a poor indicator due to induced demand with testing. 

But given the criteria and what the government are informing us of in terms of assets and how many can be produced per day or week in regards to the number of tests, peak dates, PPE provision, beds and temp hospitals, ventalators, etc, the end of April appears to be when the government are in a position to completely manage this crisis. 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So do checkout operators in supermarkets, but they have quickly adapted in many places to put perspex screens between staff and customers.

That's the key. We are adapting and will have to continue to adapt. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

What I am saying I cant stand 2m while taking tickets or dealing with bamfords that like cause issues.

Sith Happens

Would be interested to know how Kyle maintained social distancing rules.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/05/city-to-investigate-kyle-walker-over-sex-party-that-broke-quarantine-rules

Apparently he said 'I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made', did he mean 'I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for getting caught'

Archived