Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think blaming the wet markets is making a scapegoat. This article explains (hopefully better than I managed, picking up more laughs than I expected) the problems are more based in our relationship with the mass production of food. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/is-factory-farming-to-blame-for-coronavirus

I truly don't . These markets are opening again and Bear's bile is being sold as Covid-19 cure. 

1 hour ago, ramit said:

My point is that governments all over lie for various reasons.  Not to cause panic is a major incentive to lie about Covid deaths, an easy example would be someone with an underlying condition who succumbs to it because of the added weakening of the immune system by Covid.  i trust my government officials about as far as i can throw them, as we say here.

When Aids was running rampant, everyone who had it and died from some secondary illness, or an underlying one was said to have died from Aids.  It suited western authorities to play that up at the time for reasons only known to them.  i am suggesting the possibility that many more people have died from this virus than is reported in some countries while others are more open about it. 

I think essentially we agree, and some lie more than some others or perhaps choose not to say when they should be. 

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m sure that missing 20% will come in handy

I got a call from my boss today to tell me that the company is going to pay me the extra 20% to top up my wages and it will only cost me half a days holiday for each week I'm off.

I write this with a tear in my eye as the death, reportedly from Covid19 of someone I knew well and worked with closely for several years has been announced, but 563 deaths is still a figure that needs some perspective. And we need to be careful of dealing in absolute, headline figures however accurate they may be.

Around 500,000 people die in England every year.  That’s on average 1369 per day. We know that death rates in the winter period (December to March) are higher than in the summer months. Most years. There’s many reasons for that but the Office of National Statistics (ONS) refer to them as Excess Winter Deaths (EWD) so that they can measure each year the difference between the number of deaths that happen in Winter and those that happen during the Spring and Summer months.  We have, today, left the Winter period, though death doesn’t tend to pay much attention to the calendar.

The latest ONS stats suggest that 2018/19 was actually a very good year for living, that the numbers of us dying in excess of those dying in the summer period (23,200 or 192 per day extra people) was much lower than in many previous years. But even given that positive news, for those of my age anyway, the number of deaths per day in England was 1400.  Against that 563 is not too bad. How many others have died today?

And the 563 figure is complex in itself.  Did the people die with Covid19 or of Covid19?  There’s a big difference between the two (though not important if you have died, I accept). How much better are we at testing for Covid19 now than we were before when this thing first started?  More tests will mean more diagnoses and more deaths that we know about.  How many of those 563 people would have died anyway today of underlying conditions?  We simply don’t know, and never will. Are we getting better at recognising, counting and reporting those with Covid19 as we get more experienced at recognising the signs? As doctors and individuals get better at recognising the virus and its symptoms and effects and testing improves then so reporting will increase. Is the 563 figure itself Excess Winter Deaths or, in other words, 563 more than we would normally have expected at this time of year? Are the number of deaths per day 1963 in England (1400+ 563) instead of 1400? We won’t know the answer to that question for some months to come.

None of this is to minimise the problem or the sadness that families will be experiencing.  None of this is to say that Covid19 is unimportant.  But it is to say that death is a normal part of life and 563, though a dramatic headline figure, needs to be considered slightly more deeply.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I think blaming the wet markets is making a scapegoat. This article explains (hopefully better than I managed, picking up more laughs than I expected) the problems are more based in our relationship with the mass production of food. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/is-factory-farming-to-blame-for-coronavirus

Although the article tried to make the link you suggested, I think it ultimately falls short.

Yes other strains of disease may well have spread from elsewhere after the initial outbreak, but with far less consequence than than the original outbreak, which all seem to come from the same country.

Look at the picture of a pangolin in the article, and imagine thinking that looks like good eating.

It's the same with their exotic medicine, which has seen Tigers, Elephants and other species hunted mercilessly and needlessly.

I'm quite pissed now, so may have to revisit this tomorrow and apologize, but I'm pretty hacked off at the moment.

On 31/03/2020 at 08:22, GboroRam said:

In your example I doubt you'd be in any trouble because we aren't policed USA style. But it does show that we need to work to ensure these measures work, by trying hard to follow them. For example I've bought a jet washer and a lawnmower, and will click and collect from Sainsbury's. I will pick up some shopping at the same time - it won't be truly essential, but I will be getting essential things (just I'm not desperate for them today). The police could challenge me, but I suspect they will say as it's all in the same shop and I was buying groceries, no harm done. But if I wasn't going to Sainsbury's, but was picking up from some other location which doesn't sell groceries, I would expect to be challenged if caught. And rightly so.

Limit your exposure to other people. One statistic that made me think, there's 9000 CV-19 infected people in English hospitals today. There's only been 22000 positive tests in the UK. Take off Scotland, Wales and NI cases, then take of those discharged, then take off those who died, how many people in the 22000 are still carrying the illness in England? I reckon you're more than 50/50 to end up in hospital if you catch this. Why would you go out if you don't need to?

I am being thoroughly dull and doing as I’m told. Technically I think it is probably ok to drive to Darley (3 miles) to walk the dog so she can run free a bit, which I’d like to do, but we’ve got a garden and are having strolls around the street for a daily change of scene/excercise instead. its just sensible

on the subject of infection .. from what I read about Vo in Italy. If you get it there is a 75% chance of zero symptoms - you are still contagious but don’t have any actual sickness. Still ..25% chance of getting ill is not recommended when there are 70 million of us 

I see it as being about protecting others as much as yourself and along with it the nations health resources. Big excitement .. weekly shop tomorrow .. never thought I’d be looking forward to the supermarket ?

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I got a call from my boss today to tell me that the company is going to pay me the extra 20% to top up my wages and it will only cost me half a days holiday for each week I'm off.

Well if you been stood down like me they cant do that mate and by doing that he is breaking the law.

On 31/03/2020 at 21:33, RamNut said:

Today.....Derbyshire 257 up 12%; 1 in 3000

London 7121 up 8%; 1 in 1250 

Update...... Derbyshire 307 up another 16% in one day; London 8341 up 15% in one day.

I find this rate of increase very worrying.
I take no comfort whatsoever from the fact that the deaths are in the hundreds. This is starting to snowball.
Apparently the disease becomes severe in the second week of symptoms, which is up to four weeks after infection. 
therefore we are still seeing the consequences of the early pre-lockdown days. 

I’m worried that there is effectively nothing we can do other than isolate and we are going to come under pressure to return to work. the virulence is such that victims have already infected their friends, families, and carers. I really fear for the nhs staff on the frontline.
The tsunami is about to hit the beach.

I’ve had acute bronchitis. it scars the lungs and this thing really worries me.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Update...... Derbyshire 307 up another 16% in one day; London 8341 up 15% in one day.

I take no comfort whatsoever from the fact that the deaths are in the hundreds. This is starting to snowball.
Apparently the disease becomes severe in the second week of symptoms, which is up to four weeks after infection. 

I’m worried that there is effectively nothing we can do other than isolate and we are going to come under pressure to return to work. the virulence is such that victims have already infected their friends, families, and carers. I really fear for the nhs staff on the frontline.

If we can get tested it may help.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

My lungs suffer from weezing,had it since I caught pneumonia as a child when I was born in Buxton,I find that inhaling steam over boiling water twice a day helps a lot,but am very worried about coronavirus as Spain has a big infection,it seems especially  bad in the big cities,so hopefully will be alright,staying at home in the appartment,havent been outside for 3 weeks

One small piece of light relief.....

I was looking at the Irish Times at the numbers for Coronavirus infections in Ireland, which was accompanied by some further analysis, drilling down into the stats.

Apparently....the gender split of the confirmed cases is....

48% are male and 50% are female

?

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

One small piece of light relief.....

I was looking at the Irish Times at the numbers for Coronavirus infections in Ireland, which was accompanied by some further analysis, drilling down into the stats.

Apparently....the gender split of the confirmed cases is....

?

Of the 10 people on ventilators here, 9 are men

Well it looks like I’ve got it... Got the shivers around 9pm last night, followed by quite a high temperature through the night, along with a dry throat. Hardly slept a wink worrying about how the Mrs is gonna cope as she received her letter from the NHS confirming she’s a high risk patient. Judging by  all the info on the incubation period, there’s a good chance she’s already got it. I’m ducking terrified right now...

Sith Happens
55 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Well it looks like I’ve got it... Got the shivers around 9pm last night, followed by quite a high temperature through the night, along with a dry throat. Hardly slept a wink worrying about how the Mrs is gonna cope as she received her letter from the NHS confirming she’s a high risk patient. Judging by  all the info on the incubation period, there’s a good chance she’s already got it. I’m ducking terrified right now...

Hope you are both ok.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Look after yourselves and try and stay calm. Ask for any help you need. Keep drinking fluids. 

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The very best of luck to you both.  I sincerely hope you both get better soon. 

I have no more words.

xxx

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Hope you’re both OK and make a speedy recovery.

Just remember though, there are also non Coronavirus bugs out there as well (although your symptoms don’t sound good). I for one have now become a little paranoid and start to worry every time I wake up in a sweat or have a bit of coughing. Both my wife and daughter have received letters about being vulnerable and, just over a week ago, I was checking my temperature every couple of hours in a panic  because I had a soar throat. 

Stay strong and take it easy.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Fingers crossed fella, hopefully it will be mild and you recover quickly. 

Archived