Coronavirus

1of4

31 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You guys aren't fans then ?

I thought it was pretty interesting to see how much value the NHS puts into funding new drugs and proceedures (£30k per year of potential life) and how much treating CV is costing for per year of additional life (£500k).   He also discussed the potential recession we face and the increased poverty, violence and suicide rates that it will lead to - something that is regularly thrown at the Tories re. austerity.

He didn't mention anything about the mental or societal cost of inaction nor the fact that it would be political suicide for any government simply let nature take its course but I guess that wasn't the point of the article. 

I found it interesting anyway.  I don't have to agree with it or like him to see the value in the discussion.

That's true enough I suppose.  But I suspect Mr Young isn't entirely sincere, and his motivation is largely to generate a strong reaction to the controversial point of view he is putting across.  I don't know, that's just the impression I got. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I start a new job on Monday. By chance on my Twitter feed I've discovered today that anyone starting a new job after the 28th Feb will not be eligible for furlough which is an absolute disgrace IMHO. I was on a 3 month notice period so quit my job at the start of January well in advance of anyone foreseeing the repurcussions of the Coronavirus outbreak here. 

By sheer fortune I'm moving to another essential job i.e. food manufacturing however if they decide to send me home or close the factory down then I'll get nothing, is absolutely disgraceful that there are people through no fault of their own that have started jobs in March, their workplace has then been shutdown and they'll receive nothing because of a nominal government cut off date.

That's unlucky mate, but I can see why they backdated it a couple of weeks.

Otherwise you'd get chancers sticking their family and friends on the payroll, and claiming £2.5k a month for nothing.

It's inevitable some people will fall between the cracks, I don't think they could do much more without having an enormously expensive (even more so than it is) and slower system in place.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Otherwise you'd get chancers sticking their family and friends on the payroll, and claiming £2.5k a month for nothing.

It's inevitable some people will fall between the cracks, I don't think they could do much more without having an enormously expensive (even more so than it is) and slower system in place.

If someone has worked all their life and changed jobs for a promotion why should they then be penalised?

It's not acceptable for the government to think that it's ok for people to fall between the cracks and provision needs to be made.

As I said I'm relatively fortunate if that's the correct word as am moving to another food manufacturing facility in comparison but my new employers could quite easily decide to lay me off unpaid to save some money. 

29 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You guys aren't fans then ?

I thought it was pretty interesting to see how much value the NHS puts into funding new drugs and proceedures (£30k per year of potential life) and how much treating CV is costing for per year of additional life (£500k).   He also discussed the potential recession we face and the increased poverty, violence and suicide rates that it will lead to - something that is regularly thrown at the Tories re. austerity.

He didn't mention anything about the mental or societal cost of inaction nor the fact that it would be political suicide for any government simply let nature take its course but I guess that wasn't the point of the article. 

I found it interesting anyway.  I don't have to agree with it or like him to see the value in the discussion.

Make a statement that is believable enough to gain some support, while antagonizing  a lot more people. An art Young as perfected and how he's made a living over the years.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

If someone has worked all their life and changed jobs for a promotion why should they then be penalised?

It's not acceptable for the government to think that it's ok for people to fall between the cracks and provision needs to be made.

As I said I'm relatively fortunate if that's the correct word as am moving to another food manufacturing facility in comparison but my new employers could quite easily decide to lay me off unpaid to save some money. 

I can see it from both sides.  personally I reckon if you have gone immediately from one job to another then base the 80 percent on both jobs. 

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's true enough I suppose.  But I suspect Mr Young isn't entirely sincere, and his motivation is largely to generate a strong reaction to the controversial point of view he is putting across.  I don't know, that's just the impression I got. 

He should post on here .

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I can see it from both sides.  personally I reckon if you have gone immediately from one job to another then base the 80 percent on both jobs. 

I had a signed job offer emailed to me in January well before the cut off date of the 28th Feb. Does this mean therefore that I will be eligible for furlough even though I started my job after the cut off date. How can this be abused?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I had a signed job offer emailed to me in January well before the cut off date of the 28th Feb. Does this mean therefore that I will be eligible for furlough even though I started my job after the cut off date. How can this be abused?

I agree,  I can see why the rule applies,  but think if you have worked as you have then you should qualify.  I can see the point too about putting people on the payroll just to claim. 

hopefully for you you will be ok.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

They'll be far more people who've made the change to self employed work in the last year, and so don't have the necessary tax returns to qualify for the self employed scheme, than those who fit into your category.

Any time you change employment is a risk, at least for the first couple of years redundancy wise. 

In an ideal world, of course they'd make provision for every eventually, but the nature of how quickly the government need to implement these changes, which go far beyond any safety net employees and the self employed have ever enjoyed before, means it needs to be as simple and cheap a system to operate as possible.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

They'll be far more people who've made the change to self employed work in the last year, and so don't have the necessary tax returns to qualify for the self employed scheme, than those who fit into your category.

Any time you change employment is a risk, at least for the first couple of years redundancy wise. 

In an ideal world, of course they'd make provision for every eventually, but the nature of how quickly the government need to implement these changes, which go far beyond any safety net employees and the self employed have ever enjoyed before, means it needs to be as simple and cheap a system to operate as possible.

Yes I totally agree I wasn't try to make out the group of people I sit in is a special case as you quite rightly pointed out with the example of newly self employed people. If it's purely a timing thing then again this needs to be looked at.

Take on board your comments regards employment rights within the first 2 years of service but for me this is a moot point as I've got less than 2 years service with my current employer (which I didn't divulge so obviously you weren't aware of)

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Still hope yet. 

So, it really depends on your buyers lender ,on purchase mortgages they have cut down on the maximum LTV they will lend to .This is mainly to remove the necessity for physical valuations .

As yours has been carried out already providing your chain holds together you should be ok.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes I totally agree I wasn't try to make out the group of people I sit in is a special case as you quite rightly pointed out with the example of newly self employed people. If it's purely a timing thing then again this needs to be looked at.

Take on board your comments regards employment rights within the first 2 years of service but for me this is a moot point as I've got less than 2 years service with my current employer (which I didn't divulge so obviously you weren't aware of)

I hope it all works out for you, not the easiest time to be changing jobs. 

It may even turn out to be a blessing, as a new starter keen to make an impression you may stand out further than existing employees who have taken different steps.

There's a fella I work with who literally couldn't wait to walk out and take his full salary for sitting at home, while everyone else covers for him.

7 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

So, it really depends on your buyers lender ,on purchase mortgages they have cut down on the maximum LTV they will lend to .This is mainly to remove the necessity for physical valuations .

As yours has been carried out already providing your chain holds together you should be ok.

Empty property with a cash buyer. Can't believe it has taken 5 months already. Another 3 will kill me. 

Sith Happens
40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I guess there are lots of people not happy too. where I work they have put lots of employees on furlough.  

which workers have been 'rewarded' with a 3 month holiday on almost full pay? the worst or top performer's ? I dare bet this is being replicated up and down the country 

personally I want to work,  but there is part of me that thinks why should I now have to work my arse off to do the extra work while some others put their feet up

I don't really feel that way but have had moments 

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I guess there are lots of people not happy too. where I work they have put lots of employees on furlough.  

which workers have been 'rewarded' with a 3 month holiday on almost full pay? the worst or top performer's ? I dare bet this is being replicated up and down the country 

personally I want to work,  but there is part of me that thinks why should I now have to work my arse off to do the extra work while some others put their feet up

I was at an NHS Clinic last week, and the nurse said you lucky barstewards, getting 80% to sit at home, while we have to work 100% for 100%, while exposing ourselves to risk with every patient!

Hard to argue with, even though I'm not in the stay at home boat.

It would be lovely to see them rewarded with a nice tax free lump sum at the end of this, rather than the clamoured for ?.

Like a meal in an expensive restaurant, add the tip and worry about paying for it later.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yes its extremely divisive matter I agree. I have been coming into work as I manage an essential operation to wit food manufacture. Personally if I had to sit at home all day I would have been crawling the walls by now but I imagine that there's lots of people who would find this totally acceptable and get paid for it.

There's a number of people who have been told that they can work from home and have been doing solidly for the past 3 weeks none of whom are in the high risk category - an 18 year old girl who walks to work, a 35 year old male who runs half marathons who has a ten minute drive to work and so on. 

I try not to let it bother me as if it does it just upsets me and isn't great ruminating about it for my own mental well being. 

28 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

My boss gave me the option of carry on working from home or voluntary furloughing on 80% for 2 months, I chose to carry on working, I'm either mad or a brown-nosing little creep? ?‍♂️ 

Archived