Coronavirus

1of4

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes its extremely divisive matter I agree. I have been coming into work as I manage an essential operation to wit food manufacture. Personally if I had to sit at home all day I would have been crawling the walls by now but I imagine that there's lots of people who would find this totally acceptable and get paid for it.

There's a number of people who have been told that they can work from home and have been doing solidly for the past 3 weeks none of whom are in the high risk category - an 18 year old girl who walks to work, a 35 year old male who runs half marathons who has a ten minute drive to work and so on. 

I try not to let it bother me as if it does it just upsets me and isn't great ruminating about it for my own mental well being. 

You just have to live by your own code, and let others live by theirs.

Like @Paul71 says, it's easy enough to look around and think not only are others not pulling their weight, but they're being rewarded for it.

Concentrate on yourself, do what you can to stay safe and productive, and in the end you'll be rewarded. Maybe not by your employer, but you'll be able to answer positively when asked "did you do all that could"?

If you can't stay safe at work mind, don't go.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You just have to live by your own code, and let others live by theirs.

Like @Paul71 says, it's easy enough to look around and think not only are others not pulling their weight, but they're being rewarded for it.

Concentrate on yourself, do what you can to stay safe and productive, and in the end you'll be rewarded. Maybe not by your employer, but you'll be able to answer positively when asked "did you do all that could"?

If you can't stay safe at work mind, don't go.

100% agreed. 

I have to profess that the social interaction with my work colleagues is another reason that I'm happy to go into work, I live on my own and really empathise for example with old aged pensioners who have no form of social interaction at all due to the lock down regime.

I Facetime friends, speak on the phone, Whatsapp etc but I did this anyway when the Coronavirus outbreak hadn't started - I miss the physical interaction of going to the pub with someone for a chat, going to a football match in company, going to a friend's house for a catch up. 

If folks are happy to sit at home all day then fair play to them, they're the lucky ones - I just couldn't do that. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Empty property with a cash buyer. Can't believe it has taken 5 months already. Another 3 will kill me. 

I bought an empty property with cash in October. I dare say I have been plunged straight into negative equity, but the shares and other investments that I sold to fund the purchase are down by 30%+ since then. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

On 30/03/2020 at 16:42, RamNut said:

derbyshire 225 

The measures do seem to be slowing down the spread here 

But London 6521 - three times as many cases per capita.

Today.....Derbyshire 257 up 12%; 1 in 3000

London 7121 up 8%; 1 in 1250 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Don't forget to add on the figures for Derby itself, not just the county.

122 on top of your figures.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes its extremely divisive matter I agree. I have been coming into work as I manage an essential operation to wit food manufacture. Personally if I had to sit at home all day I would have been crawling the walls by now but I imagine that there's lots of people who would find this totally acceptable and get paid for it.

There's a number of people who have been told that they can work from home and have been doing solidly for the past 3 weeks none of whom are in the high risk category - an 18 year old girl who walks to work, a 35 year old male who runs half marathons who has a ten minute drive to work and so on. 

I try not to let it bother me as if it does it just upsets me and isn't great ruminating about it for my own mental well being. 

Hope you manage to sort it out mate,seems bloody unfair on you.

10 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I see a 13 and 19 year old both with no underlying died in London in the last 24 hours. All deaths from this duckin’ virus are sad obviously but reading/hearing about youngsters being victims of it get to me that bit more.

I don’t disagree, and gives me further cause for concern regarding my two who are in their twenties. Hopefully these deaths will not be in vain, and it will be taken on board by the young, a good many of whom have taken the view or assumed that this is an old persons illness. 

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

derbyshire Police really are the most stupid in the country.

they should be charged with pollution and vandalism.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/blue-lagoon-buxton-dyed-black-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Reading the article it says the 'lagoon' has been dyed black before to prevent people swimming in it - because it's toxic soup of chemicals, dead animals and other crap. I don't think a bit of black dye, which won't last long anyway, will actually "pollute" it. 

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable police tactic to dissuade tourists/swimmers etc.

Derbyshire Police was accused of "shaming" those who headed to the beauty spot amid a UK-wide lockdown. 
Former Supreme Court judge Lord Sumption branded it "disgraceful", arguing officers had no power to "to enforce ministers' preferences".
Chief constable Peter Goodman has since admitted Lord Sumption was correct.

With regards to the issue of throwing back dye into the lagoon, how  many alfresco swimmers are there in March? 

Police publicised their action on their Facebook page, so lots of people who previously didn't know about the site now do.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/blue-lagoon-buxton-dyed-black-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Really, you've posted showing how cases of coronavirus are increasing in the county. Then call the police stupid because they've put a dye in an already toxic body of water. An action they took to stop people congregating there and possibly spreading the virus.

Now I know many are dismissive of Johnson, Raab, Gove, etc., in respect of their management of this crisis, with good reason in some regards, but having just watched two hours of Trump’s latest press briefing you have to think we are very, very, lucky people to have what we have got. The bloke is an absolute idiot - it was like watching an American version of ‘The thick of it’. Such a serious matter, and I couldn’t help laughing out loud on numerous occasions. God bless America, they are going to need him.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Really, you've posted showing how cases of coronavirus are increasing in the county. Then call the police stupid because they've put a dye in an already toxic body of water. An action they took to stop people congregating there and possibly spreading the virus.

The Met Police today threatened to fine a bakery boss £80 for criminal damage after she put temporary lines outside her shop to keep her customers safe from coronavirus.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Know your facts first before posting

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/derbyshire-police-criticism-george-osborne-4002920

Well done Derbyshire Police ? 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The Met Police today threatened to fine a bakery boss £80 for criminal damage after she put temporary lines outside her shop to keep her customers safe from coronavirus.

Yes, if true that is stupid of the Metropolitan police in London. Not sure why you've posted it, it doesn't in justify you calling the Derbyshire police stupid.

Archived