Coronavirus

1of4

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Hope you’re both OK and make a speedy recovery.

Just remember though, there are also non Coronavirus bugs out there as well (although your symptoms don’t sound good). I for one have now become a little paranoid and start to worry every time I wake up in a sweat or have a bit of coughing. Both my wife and daughter have received letters about being vulnerable and, just over a week ago, I was checking my temperature every couple of hours in a panic  because I had a soar throat. 

Stay strong and take it easy.

This is true, I have a friend who got taken into hospital last week with symptoms, got pneumonia in both lungs but her test came back negative. The chances of that.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Srg said:

This is true, I have a friend who got taken into hospital last week with symptoms, got pneumonia in both lungs but her test came back negative. The chances of that.

Ignore this, literally just been text to say she has got it. Weird that's taken 6 days since she got discharged and they said she hadn't when she rang them 2 days ago. Not great!

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Well it looks like I’ve got it... Got the shivers around 9pm last night, followed by quite a high temperature through the night, along with a dry throat. Hardly slept a wink worrying about how the Mrs is gonna cope as she received her letter from the NHS confirming she’s a high risk patient. Judging by  all the info on the incubation period, there’s a good chance she’s already got it. I’m ducking terrified right now...

Hope you're better soon.

To update on myself, I had the same chills/fever you describe for about 2 and a half days, followed by about 3 days of slight shortness of breath, and then another couple of days with a tight chest and severe lack of energy. You feel awful and it's not helped psychologically by the fear of what it could develop into.

Fortunately I am an otherwise healthy 27 year old, so I guess my immune system is running pretty effectively. Feel for others who may not be in the same situation.

Right now though, just over a week since getting a fever, I feel absolutely right as rain other than being slightly more tired than usual which I'm putting down to the clocks changing which always takes me a month or so to get over, along with not eating properly for a couple of days.

12 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I write this with a tear in my eye as the death, reportedly from Covid19 of someone I knew well and worked with closely for several years has been announced, but 563 deaths is still a figure that needs some perspective. And we need to be careful of dealing in absolute, headline figures however accurate they may be.

Around 500,000 people die in England every year.  That’s on average 1369 per day. We know that death rates in the winter period (December to March) are higher than in the summer months. Most years. There’s many reasons for that but the Office of National Statistics (ONS) refer to them as Excess Winter Deaths (EWD) so that they can measure each year the difference between the number of deaths that happen in Winter and those that happen during the Spring and Summer months.  We have, today, left the Winter period, though death doesn’t tend to pay much attention to the calendar.

The latest ONS stats suggest that 2018/19 was actually a very good year for living, that the numbers of us dying in excess of those dying in the summer period (23,200 or 192 per day extra people) was much lower than in many previous years. But even given that positive news, for those of my age anyway, the number of deaths per day in England was 1400.  Against that 563 is not too bad. How many others have died today?

And the 563 figure is complex in itself.  Did the people die with Covid19 or of Covid19?  There’s a big difference between the two (though not important if you have died, I accept). How much better are we at testing for Covid19 now than we were before when this thing first started?  More tests will mean more diagnoses and more deaths that we know about.  How many of those 563 people would have died anyway today of underlying conditions?  We simply don’t know, and never will. Are we getting better at recognising, counting and reporting those with Covid19 as we get more experienced at recognising the signs? As doctors and individuals get better at recognising the virus and its symptoms and effects and testing improves then so reporting will increase. Is the 563 figure itself Excess Winter Deaths or, in other words, 563 more than we would normally have expected at this time of year? Are the number of deaths per day 1963 in England (1400+ 563) instead of 1400? We won’t know the answer to that question for some months to come.

None of this is to minimise the problem or the sadness that families will be experiencing.  None of this is to say that Covid19 is unimportant.  But it is to say that death is a normal part of life and 563, though a dramatic headline figure, needs to be considered slightly more deeply.

Best post in this thread by a country mile .

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Well it looks like I’ve got it... Got the shivers around 9pm last night, followed by quite a high temperature through the night, along with a dry throat. Hardly slept a wink worrying about how the Mrs is gonna cope as she received her letter from the NHS confirming she’s a high risk patient. Judging by  all the info on the incubation period, there’s a good chance she’s already got it. I’m ducking terrified right now...

Wishing you the very best. Try to stay mentally strong for your wife, and make sure you do all the right things in terms of isolating within your home. You can both get through this.

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I have a good friend who was really ill. Treated with antibiotics for a chest infection but didn't seem to help. She was told to go for a test but on arrival at the test center she was told as she had been able to drive there, she wasn't ill enough to warrant testing and sent home to self isolate. Her feeling was that unless you seemed to be exhibiting all the symptoms and be very ill they wouldn't test you and she was still convinced she had it. 

Bearing that in mind and how easily transmitted the disease is, I can't get my head round the figures that show that about only 1 in 5 people in the UK who are tested, test positive. 

By those figures its unlikely you have it and its just some other common or garden virus/illness? Or am I missing something? Really surprises me how low the positive testing rate is. 

11 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well if you been stood down like me they cant do that mate and by doing that he is breaking the law.

They're not breaking any law B4. I am being paid the 80% from the government and the company are topping it up to give me full pay. The half a day holiday I am paying back is for the 20% the company are paying me and not for the governments money. 

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry to post this, but here is some poorly reported news - the stats on the number dying from this horrible virus are clearly distorted by under reporting of deaths outside of hospitals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52094491

Horrible news. The BBC reported (Monday I think) that from this week our figures would include deaths in the community (including homes). 

Can somebody explain this part of the latest statement from the police.

"Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so"

Why would you need to travel to exercise locally?

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I have a good friend who was really ill. Treated with antibiotics for a chest infection but didn't seem to help. She was told to go for a test but on arrival at the test center she was told as she had been able to drive there, she wasn't ill enough to warrant testing and sent home to self isolate. Her feeling was that unless you seemed to be exhibiting all the symptoms and be very ill they wouldn't test you and she was still convinced she had it. 

Bearing that in mind and how easily transmitted the disease is, I can't get my head round the figures that show that about only 1 in 5 people in the UK who are tested, test positive. 

By those figures its unlikely you have it and its just some other common or garden virus/illness? Or am I missing something? Really surprises me how low the positive testing rate is. 

If they were pre-emptively testing medical staff to allow them to work, that would explain it...but that clearly isn't the case from what has been said so far. 

Maybe given a choice between testing anyone young, generally healthy with lots of symptoms isn't seen as a good use of a test. As compared to anyone old with health issues and only a few symptoms...maybe that is skewing the figures?

What is obvious is that testing needs massively improving. 

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

"Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so"

Badly worded but, I would interpret it that you can travel a mile or two for your exercise (therefore relatively local) but don’t travel much further. So, if you live a couple of miles from wide open country side, that’s probably OK but they don’t want folk driving for miles to get to well known beauty spots. Most people, I would imagine, can exercise without driving anywhere or only very short distances but they don’t want the hoards descending on The Peak District or Snowdonia again.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Arguably it is safer for them to drive a mile to a park or playing field than walk through streets to get there?  In Brighton as an example very few houses (flats) have open space provision, and with children at home 24/7 it probably is necessary to let kids have some run around opportunity as long as distancing rules are being upheld.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Badly worded but, I would interpret it that you can travel a mile or two for your exercise (therefore relatively local) but don’t travel much further. So, if you live a couple of miles from wide open country side, that’s probably OK but they don’t want folk driving for miles to get to well known beauty spots. Most people, I would imagine, can exercise without driving anywhere or only very short distances but they don’t want the hoards descending on The Peak District or Snowdonia again.

The reason for the new statement is because of the backlash the Derbyshire police got for shaming those that did travel to the peak district. Some idiots will print this statement off and use it as a reason for travelling. 

42 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry to post this, but here is some poorly reported news - the stats on the number dying from this horrible virus are clearly distorted by under reporting of deaths outside of hospitals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52094491

I think those figures are now being added and the backdated figures may have been added which would explain the size of the recent increase. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.  

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I think those figures are now being added and the backdated figures may have been added which would explain the size of the recent increase. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.  

Hope so buddy. How are things in your care home ?  Keep safe.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

The very best of luck to you both.  I sincerely hope you both get better soon. 

I have no more words.

xxx

Cheers mate

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Hope you’re both OK and make a speedy recovery.

Just remember though, there are also non Coronavirus bugs out there as well (although your symptoms don’t sound good). I for one have now become a little paranoid and start to worry every time I wake up in a sweat or have a bit of coughing. Both my wife and daughter have received letters about being vulnerable and, just over a week ago, I was checking my temperature every couple of hours in a panic  because I had a soar throat. 

Stay strong and take it easy.

It may be sinusitis, as some of my teeth and jaw have been hurting on and off for a week or so.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Fingers crossed fella, hopefully it will be mild and you recover quickly. 

Me too

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Weird that it took so long for the result to come back.  I thought good ol' Boris as getting the production of these 15 minute kits ramped up??

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Hope you're better soon.

To update on myself, I had the same chills/fever you describe for about 2 and a half days, followed by about 3 days of slight shortness of breath, and then another couple of days with a tight chest and severe lack of energy. You feel awful and it's not helped psychologically by the fear of what it could develop into.

Fortunately I am an otherwise healthy 27 year old, so I guess my immune system is running pretty effectively. Feel for others who may not be in the same situation.

Right now though, just over a week since getting a fever, I feel absolutely right as rain other than being slightly more tired than usual which I'm putting down to the clocks changing which always takes me a month or so to get over, along with not eating properly for a couple of days.

I don't feel too bad now I've popped a couple of paracetamols, and drank a lot of fluids.  Checked my temp as well, and it was saying 35.5, so if anything, I'm a little cold.  But I have read that you can feel better in the first few days of it really kicking in.

55 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Wishing you the very best. Try to stay mentally strong for your wife, and make sure you do all the right things in terms of isolating within your home. You can both get through this.

Right now I'm shut away in the spare room/home office, wearing rubble gloves and making sure the Mrs, the lad, and the dog keep out.  One of the benefits of being stuck up here is that I've got FM19 running on my Mac for when I get bored.  

Every silver cloud eh...

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

We have much data here already.  Women are handling this virus better than men.

Keep in mind though that most people who are diagnosed positive recover.  As has been pointed out this could also be the flu.  When i was in fear of having this thing, i followed my wife's orders of keeping throat moist with small sips of water throughout the day, squirting lemon juice down throat twice a day, breathing in steam also twice a day, eating healthy and trying to sleep enough.  Don't know if that helps you , but can't hurt.

Try and stay positive, don't binge on the news and get well soon, mate.

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hope so buddy. How are things in your care home ?  Keep safe.

All good here chap. Managing to stay in house and garden. The lad is a bit anxious but the xbox is my saviour. 

Archived