Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Mortgage market now frozen. F'in great timing that is. 

Potentially facing the prospect of losing the house we've had reserved for the last 4 months.

?

I'm on the verge of my sale. Nobody has been able to tell me what it means. All surveys and inspections are done. I'm none the wiser. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Very interesting article written by Toby Young generating a lot of hate on twitter right now....

https://thecritic.co.uk/has-the-government-over-reacted-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

In short he puts a monetary value on saving people with CV now, compares it to the figure that the NHS uses when it decides what new drugs and proceedures to fund and compares that to the fact that any resulting long term economic hardship will in all likelihood lead to a far greater number of deaths than CV will take.

Not sure I entirely agree but its an interesting side debate non-the-less.

What's that you say? Toby Young has been paid to write a controversial article that will fire the usual nutters up on both sides? No thanks

I for one have no interest in being a part of his business model

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Very interesting article written by Toby Young generating a lot of hate on twitter right now....

https://thecritic.co.uk/has-the-government-over-reacted-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

In short he puts a monetary value on saving people with CV now, compares it to the figure that the NHS uses when it decides what new drugs and proceedures to fund and compares that to the fact that any resulting long term economic hardship will in all likelihood lead to a far greater number of deaths than CV will take.

Not sure I entirely agree but its an interesting side debate non-the-less.

That's worrying. Just how much of 'let 230,000 people die to save £350 billion' do you agree with ?

Looking for savings of £350 billion to cover the cost of saving all those lives?  Easy, just scrap the HS2 project and Trident replacement project and that will suffice and leave some money left over (factoring in the inevitable overspend on those two projects).  Job done....now where do I send my consultancy invoice to?

Mental note:  Never read Toby Young again.

Screenshot_20200331-180320.thumb.png.28e2fd687ec81b6757ff2c91e00ce3c8.png

Anyone else notice the poor DIY job done in removing the switch top right?

Gives a poor impression of the country to the outside world from our seat of power.

Be better to leave a brass blanking plate in, or at least cover it up with a nuddy calendar.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Sadly, lawyers are the bloody problem! ?

my sister in law bought a new house that went through today.  its going to be like a second home, she lives on a boat. 

she spoke to the estate agents and solicitors today as she was being instructed she HAD to meet the current owner on site for a keys handover. 

she asked if the estate agents could keep the keys or have them posted.

they refused. she asked the solicitor for help and they said she had no grounds to refuse to travel and meet them.

its 150 miles away. 

she has travelled , I'm fuming,  told my wife she should have dug her heels in. but really does make me realise how useless and unhelpful people can be.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Gives a poor impression of the country to the outside world from our seat of power.

Be better to leave a brass blanking plate in, or at least cover it up with a nuddy calendar.

nuddy calender? boris in the buff?

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

This is a typical piece of Young BS journalism. The cretin is a total bamford.

42 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

What's that you say? Toby Young has been paid to write a controversial article that will fire the usual nutters up on both sides? No thanks

I for one have no interest in being a part of his business model

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's worrying. Just how much of 'let 230,000 people die to save £350 billion' do you agree with ?

Looking for savings of £350 billion to cover the cost of saving all those lives?  Easy, just scrap the HS2 project and Trident replacement project and that will suffice and leave some money left over (factoring in the inevitable overspend on those two projects).  Job done....now where do I send my consultancy invoice to?

Mental note:  Never read Toby Young again.

You guys aren't fans then ?

I thought it was pretty interesting to see how much value the NHS puts into funding new drugs and proceedures (£30k per year of potential life) and how much treating CV is costing for per year of additional life (£500k).   He also discussed the potential recession we face and the increased poverty, violence and suicide rates that it will lead to - something that is regularly thrown at the Tories re. austerity.

He didn't mention anything about the mental or societal cost of inaction nor the fact that it would be political suicide for any government simply let nature take its course but I guess that wasn't the point of the article. 

I found it interesting anyway.  I don't have to agree with it or like him to see the value in the discussion.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You guys aren't fans then ?

I thought it was pretty interesting to see how much value the NHS puts into funding new drugs and proceedures (£30k per year of potential life) and how much treating CV is costing for per year of additional life (£500k).   He also discussed the potential recession we face and the increased poverty, violence and suicide rates that it will lead to - something that is regularly thrown at the Tories re. austerity.

He didn't mention anything about the mental or societal cost of inaction nor the fact that it would be political suicide for any government simply let nature take its course but I guess that wasn't the point of the article. 

I found it interesting anyway.  I don't have to agree with it or like him to see the value in the discussion.

I've got no time for him either but thought there was some interesting points in there. I can't remember him writing about how devastating austerity measures can be 10 years ago though. 

16 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Have you spent too long in isolation mate?

I start a new job on Monday. By chance on my Twitter feed I've discovered today that anyone starting a new job after the 28th Feb will not be eligible for furlough which is an absolute disgrace IMHO. I was on a 3 month notice period so quit my job at the start of January well in advance of anyone foreseeing the repurcussions of the Coronavirus outbreak here. 

By sheer fortune I'm moving to another essential job i.e. food manufacturing however if they decide to send me home or close the factory down then I'll get nothing, is absolutely disgraceful that there are people through no fault of their own that have started jobs in March, their workplace has then been shutdown and they'll receive nothing because of a nominal government cut off date.

Archived