Coronavirus

1of4

8 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Certainly doesn't sound essential to me. My parents live 4 miles away but I'm not going to put them at risk by turning up there. Not while we can speak on the phone, send texts/emails daily and video-call once a week. I get that it's hard, but we're all in the same boat and have to do whatever it takes to make this end

You’re probably right, but I’m on day 12 of self isolating without symptoms, and she’d probably say she is permanently self-isolating. I’m tempted. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

We are told to wash our hands and not to touch our faces as that is how it enters the body, Is there some reason we should not wash or sanitise our faces (after our hands obviously)?

No.

soap destroys the outer fatty layer of the virus so that it can’t attach itself and disintegrates. 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You’re probably right, but I’m on day 12 of self isolating without symptoms, and she’d probably say she is permanently self-isolating. I’m tempted. 

Don't be. For her sake as much as anything else. Unless you're proposing to self isolate completely it's not worth the risk. As @SchtivePesley says, there are other ways to check and speak to her. 

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You raise a good point. Our neighbours have kids in the same school/class as us. The kids are at home and all 4 of us parents are working at home

None of us have had any direct social contact with anyone. Once the 2 weeks are up ,then in theory if we all remain symptomless, could we go round to each others houses? The risk is probably very low, but then is it a risk worth taking? We've all been to the shops for essentials - and tried to remain safely distanced, washed our hands before/after etc. It still feels like a non-essential risk to take

5 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Nearly 400 yesterday now. 

Yesterday's figures were boosted (although I suspect not by a significant figure) by those that have lost their lives outside of hospital. Up until now, they have only counted hospital deaths so, this a more accurate figure. As everyone keeps telling us, it's going to get worse still before it starts to get better or even levels off. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Don't be. For her sake as much as anything else. Unless you're proposing to self isolate completely it's not worth the risk. As @SchtivePesley says, there are other ways to check and speak to her. 

Will be interesting to see what happens soon when everyone has been isolating for 2 or 3 weeks. People will want to go and visit friends and family, and realistically, this will be very low risk if walking/travelling by car.

Are these more draconian measures with a view of what might be happening in the short-term future?

Could be tough to tell people they can't visit others when both parties have been isolated for a fortnight, especially when everyone was allowed to the pub a couple of weeks back when the virus was clearly spreading everywhere.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Will be interesting to see what happens soon when everyone has been isolating for 2 or 3 weeks. People will want to go and visit friends and family, and realistically, this will be very low risk if walking/travelling by car.

Are these more draconian measures with a view of what might be happening in the short-term future?

Could be tough to tell people they can't visit others when both parties have been isolated for a fortnight, especially when everyone was allowed to the pub a couple of weeks back when the virus was clearly spreading everywhere.

Italy seems to be a good benchmark.  Just over 4 weeks in lockdown, with another 2 already approved, and an expectation that the Government might extend by another 2 after that.  Really can’t see us being much different to them in time periods.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Yesterday's figures were boosted (although I suspect not by a significant figure) by those that have lost their lives outside of hospital. Up until now, they have only counted hospital deaths so, this a more accurate figure. As everyone keeps telling us, it's going to get worse still before it starts to get better or even levels off. 

I give up. I don’t understand the stats now. Does this mean that they have been under estimating the deaths every day or is this a mopping up exercise?

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I give up. I don’t understand the stats now. Does this mean that they have been under estimating the deaths every day or is this a mopping up exercise?

Well, they're not estimates they're actual. As I understand it, up until now, the number has only been those that have died in hospital. From now on, it will be anyone. I haven't heard it said that today's figure includes any back dating.

Just to confuse the issue even more, the comment that today's numbers will also include deaths outside of hospitals was on BBC radio this morning but, someone on the BBC coronavirus update (on TV now) has said it only includes deaths in hospitals. 

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Tough message but necessary. It just isn't worth taking the risk however low it might be. 

Very interesting article written by Toby Young generating a lot of hate on twitter right now....

https://thecritic.co.uk/has-the-government-over-reacted-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

In short he puts a monetary value on saving people with CV now, compares it to the figure that the NHS uses when it decides what new drugs and proceedures to fund and compares that to the fact that any resulting long term economic hardship will in all likelihood lead to a far greater number of deaths than CV will take.

Not sure I entirely agree but its an interesting side debate non-the-less.

14 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Very interesting article written by Toby Young generating a lot of hate on twitter right now....

https://thecritic.co.uk/has-the-government-over-reacted-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

In short he puts a monetary value on saving people with CV now, compares it to the figure that the NHS uses when it decides what new drugs and proceedures to fund and compares that to the fact that any resulting long term economic hardship will in all likelihood lead to a far greater number of deaths than CV will take.

Not sure I entirely agree but its an interesting side debate non-the-less.

This is a typical piece of Young BS journalism. The cretin is a total bamford.

Seen a report that any staff working in nhs whose visa s are expiring with have them automatically extended ,,,,,,,,any risking their lives in our hospitals to save lives should be granted automatic citizenship if they want it

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Seen a report that any staff working in nhs whose visa s are expiring with have them automatically extended ,,,,,,,,any risking their lives in our hospitals to save lives should be granted automatic citizenship if they want it

100% this. 

Archived