v Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Spot on - one or two posters seem to class themselves as experts.

In fairness we all do to some extent. My issue isn't with people questioning subs per se; it's more to do with the idea that it's as black and white as 'losing = throw strikers on, winning = throw defenders on'. 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Wisdom is much more of defensive option at right back than Bogle, wouldn't you say? And it's clear Knight is a more attacking player than Shinnie, so I would say so. 

In terms of personnel, they were both defensive subs. Bogle was enforced, and the the best like for like without disturbing the system was Davies on and Wisdom at RB - any other change would have resulted in a complete change in formation or play positioning. By bringing Shinnie on, it gave Rooney a lot more freedom further forward - Knight was giving a few silly fouls away as well so the most likely to come off. 

Cracking win that, Cocu got it right with his starting 11 and subs, starting to play the Cocu way since super Wayne came in, very happy Ram tonight, hope all who went had a cracking day out, bring on Bristol City now, would take a point, but u never know, I would keep the same 11, the only change I might make would be Shinnie for Knight, but in Cocu I trust, nice to have 3 different players hit the target again, good to see players finding the net, I am so excited for the rest of the season now. 

14 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Didn't watch the game, but from a few tweets from journalists it seems that Cocu read the game well and made important changes to help the win. Is that fair? 

Well in the previous away game, we also conceded two in quick succession.

Today, I think the fourth goal in the game decided it. Had it been a third for Swansea, it would have killed the game off.

But you can see the thinking behind what he did. Conceding two so quickly, we really could have fallen apart, so it made sense to bring on Davies and Shinnie to add experience and calm in defensive areas and settle us down.

So I believe it was partly to Cocu's changes, but again, also the improved mentality. We are playing positively. We are fighting. We are taking more risks. It's a far cry from a few months ago where if we went 1-0 down, it was pretty much game over.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

It sticks in the throat a little bit that a lot of casual observers are going to credit Rooney and Rooney alone for this revival.

I'm sure he has had some influence, but the manager and so many players have really stepped it up in recent weeks.

Make no mistake this is Rooney’s doing. He is so composed, creates space and just everybody wants to up their game around him 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Having looked at the goals, Hamer may have been at fault for their 2nd, but 90% of refs give the goalie a freekick in that position.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11929318/swansea-2-3-Derby

Not a foul on the keeper for me, slight error by Hamer, but still prefer him to Roos.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not a foul on the keeper for me, slight error by Hamer, but still prefer him to Roos.

I agree that it wasn't a foul, but he was slightly impeded when he went to get the ball after his rickets and the majority of refs would have given the goalie a freekick (wrongly in my opinion)

I just want to give credit where its due.... i have been a major critic of Lawrence, but today the guy did what we want, and know he can do, he tracked back (no petulant challenges that get him yellows) going forward, positive touches (not selfish) and the 1st goal was made by his shot which was worthy of a goal.. his goal was an even better strike, the goalie didn't even move ?

So, keep it up Tom.... you could win me over if you do.

10 minutes ago, nfb said:

I just want to give credit where its due.... i have been a major critic of Lawrence, but today the guy did what we want, and know he can do, he tracked back (no petulant challenges that get him yellows) going forward, positive touches (not selfish) and the 1st goal was made by his shot which was worthy of a goal.. his goal was an even better strike, the goalie didn't even move ?

So, keep it up Tom.... you could win me over if you do.

Agree, there’s been a marked difference in where he’s trying to do things.

theres far far less running into blind alleys trying to take on the world, over running the ball and speculative hopeful attempts at playing people in 

he’s doing the basics in the right areas of the pitch, he’s moving the ball a lot lot quicker in the right areas which then allows him to drift unattended into the areas we know he can hurt sides 

Well done Tom, and well done cocu and coaching team, if this carry’s on I’ll gladly eat my words over the lad 

very happy for all concerned 

Archived