v Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

Just now, SaintRam said:

Were they, though?

A defender came on for a defender who was going to get sent off. So I'd say even.

Shinnie came on for another midfielder who was struggling to contribute; which allowed Rooney to play a more advanced role; increasing our quality in attack. So I'd say positive. 

So.... are they objectively negative? I don't think so.

Wisdom is much more of defensive option at right back than Bogle, wouldn't you say? And it's clear Knight is a more attacking player than Shinnie, so I would say so. 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Justa said:

I’m not going anywhere - yes this is better but it shows that this squad had more in it than Cocu was getting. I have consistently said this !

Good grief.

Or maybe, just maybe, like a lot of other people were saying, myself and @SaintRam spring to mind, he was still figuring stuff out as a total newbie to the Championship and this team

Some lovely football today . We look like we've found an identity this last few games. no matter what the side.

Occasional lapses, but fun to watch.

Edit: I wasn't getting it with Rooney first few games, but he certainly looks like a legend at the moment. Awesome.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wisdom is much more of defensive option at right back than Bogle, wouldn't you say? And it's clear Knight is a more attacking player than Shinnie, so I would say so. 

Did you see the team before and after the substitutions? Where the personnel played, the formation, and their instructions?

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not really, the subs were objectively negative. They worked out, fair play, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a negative change. Hindsight is 20/20.

I disagree. Throwing on attackers with no thought for the pattern of the game is not a positive response it is a panic response. The positive response is to address the reasons why we were losing.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Bogle wasn't at the races today and was on for a red so no issue with the sub and certainly not negative. Knight for shinnie was a like for like sub so again, hardly negative. AND he shoved Rooney up top.

Fail to see any negativity there....and it worked.

A very entertaining game and probably our best away performance of the season!

Hamer 6 - had a real stinker for their 2nd, but I thought in general he dealt with crosses well today.

Bogle 7 - I thought he was our best player in the 1st half, but at the time I commented on him making some silly, frustrated challenges and he continued with that into the 2nd. 

Wisdom 8 - he was brilliant at both centre back and right back.

Clarke 8 - had a couple of problems against Brewster, but another good game for Clarke.

Forsyth 8 - we're in the nice position where we have 2 (maybe even 3 because Malone was decent in the cup game) left backs in good form fighting for that starting spot.

Bird 9 (MOTM) - we've got Shinnie, Bielik, Huddlestone, Evans and Bird for that holding mid spot and the pick of the bunch is the kid who looked out of his depth last season. He was fantastic again today.

Rooney 8 - a bit off it in the 1st half, but controlled the game in the 2nd. Opposition fans would never admit/agree, but despite him not having the legs to get around like he used to, he's still the best player in this league.

Holmes 7 - thought he was quite poor in the 1st half, but really stepped up in the 2nd.

Knight 7 - not his best game for us, but worked hard and caused their left back a few problems today.

Lawrence 9 - 1 of his best performances of the season.

Waghorn 7 - had a difficult time of things playing that lone forward role, but got into the right position to score and worked his socks off like usual.

Subs:

Davies 7 - did well.

Shinnie 7 - I didn't post it in the thread, but like some on here I was a bit confused with this sub, but he ended up completely nullifying Gallagher.

Marriott NA

Cocu 10 - got all of his decisions spot on today, despite what me and the other Football Manager enthusiasts thought of them ?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If Bogle had carried on as he was then we were at serious risk of being down to 10 (again!) and Cocu would have got slaughtered for not reacting to the situation.

Bogle is still young and naieve at times - he'll learn.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Good grief.

Or maybe, just maybe, like a lot of other people were saying, myself and @SaintRam spring to mind, he was still figuring stuff out as a total newbie to the Championship and this team

Plenty of new managers to the Championship who don’t need this much time.

Of course I am happy things are improving but that doesn’t mean I’ve been happy with large parts of this season.

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

Bogle wasn't at the races today and was on for a red so no issue with the sub and certainly not negative. Knight for shinnie was a like for like sub so again, hardly negative. AND he shoved Rooney up top.

Fail to see any negativity there....and it worked.

It did work. I'll admit it worked, I didn't think it would at the time, hence the comments at the score of 2-1.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

If Bogle had carried on as he was then we were at serious risk of being down to 10 (again!) and Cocu would have got slaughtered for not reacting to the situation.

Subbing Bogle was right, but I was of the view that at 2-1, you can change your formation and go more attacking if you need to change it. 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

That’s the crazy thing about Bogle. We all expect things from him because of what we’ve seen, but forget he’s still only 18. He’s younger than players who have made debuts this year and we give that extra time to. Hard to do it, just because we’ve seen how good and consistent he can be. 

Young player of the season is going to be some race this year. Max Bird on this form is going to take some stopping. Love the kid. 

3 minutes ago, Justa said:

Plenty of new managers to the Championship who don’t need this much time.

Of course I am happy things are improving but that doesn’t mean I’ve been happy with large parts of this season.

D'you think Cocu has been, with everything that's come his way on and off the field?

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It wasn't negative in the least if you change your system.  Negativity isn't merely a product of the players but also the formation, and more importantly, the tactics.

Not sure if you were watching or listening and therefore couldn't see that.

It's okay to admit when you get stuff wrong, you're not Donald Trump.

Anyone who watched the game would know they were the only (and sensible) subsitions to be made. Cocu made them at precisely the right time, in fact he was readying them when the second goal went in, so he was on it quick. I cant believe people are still critical...

The way Cocu got them playing today was awesome, little flicks, back heels.

Rooney with an outrageous dummy. I particularly liked the way three players went in on max bird and he just stopped, then waltzed out with ball. Frickin fantastic today!!!

Archived