Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Times have changed but players will still want security. I'd bet we could sign him on a 2/3 year deal for not too much, if it was then incentivised in his favour.

I get what you’re saying, and I certainly sympathise with Martin. He’s been messed about a lot going out on loan to various clubs, and it must’ve been incredibly difficult to get back to the level he’s currently at given his health issues. But I think he has to realise he’s unlikely to have any club take a gamble on a long term contract for him, especially given the current financial situation hitting the footballing world. If he wants that extra job security, I’d probably say as a club that we could potentially stretch to a straight new 2 year contract - provided the wages are right. Hopefully that would be a reasonable compromise. There’s no guarantee this will be his last contract here either - he’s only 31, he could yet get another deal if he proves his quality and fitness over the next season or two.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Times have changed but players will still want security. I'd bet we could sign him on a 2/3 year deal for not too much, if it was then incentivised in his favour.

If the reports that there were enquiries from "league 1 and Scottish clubs" are broadly correct then I'd like to think we can put a more compelling offer together for Chris than them!

Maybe we've gone in a bit low to test it out. Good job if so.

On 30/05/2020 at 11:11, Van der MoodHoover said:

Chrissys starting to get a bit of the old Steve Howard timber from the waist down. He'll have to adapt his game and go into "skittling" mode as he'll lose his pace.....?

I actually think he looks fit as a butcher's dog. Check out the vid the chaps have posted of him equalising against Leeds. Definitely more on him there. Or maybe it's my eyes ? Maybe I'm getting a tad misty-eyed but I don't think another stone would make any difference anyway. He's got a 2-3 yard sart on 99% of chanpionship defenders in his head, passes ans assists like a Premiership 10 and has always been lethal given a sight of goal.

* Disclaimer - this may have been scribed by a fully-paid up Chrissy Martin fanboy

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Honestly think the cult of Chris Martin is the best thing about this website ?

Aside from being by far and away the best striker and creative forward we've had over a decade, you have to laugh at the way he makes absolute mugs of his detractors, time, after time, after time and the last few years he's been playing with a debilitating illness too. How can anyone not love the guy ?

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Aside from being by far and away the best striker and creative forward we've had over a decade, you have to laugh at the way he makes absolute mugs of his detractors, time, after time, after time and the last few years he's been playing with a debilitating illness too. How can anyone not love the guy ?

I just find it so surprising how many people hate the guy, in the time I've watched Derby I've never seen a better striker, I'll never stop being a Martin fanboy for that reason alone. It always amuses me how before I open a Martin thread I always know which posters will be on it and what they will say, though a Martin thread isn't quite the same without Toddy and Ninos!

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I just find it so surprising how many people hate the guy, in the time I've watched Derby I've never seen a better striker, I'll never stop being a Martin fanboy for that reason alone. It always amuses me how before I open a Martin thread I always know which posters will be on it and what they will say, though a Martin thread isn't quite the same without Toddy and Ninos!

Ha! Ok, so two thoughts, how TF could Toddy and Ninos ever again darken the annals (note spelling!) of this forum ever again after their 3 year long siege of all threads pertaining to our Chris. I can still envisage them wringing their hands and muttering now! They're not the only ones to go into 'dark mode' or vanish altogether when reports of Chris' demise turned out to be somewhat premature. 

Secondly, I don't think it's hate so much as a lack of respect. Also, the aforementioned and a few others have never been good at putting their hands up and saying, 'ok, my bad, I got that horribly wrong'. We all get things wrong and have differing opinions about different players but I think some would rather stick to their guns until they've really no option but to just sit down ?

10 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I actually think he looks fit as a butcher's dog. Check out the vid the chaps have posted of him equalising against Leeds. Definitely more on him there. Or maybe it's my eyes ? Maybe I'm getting a tad misty-eyed but I don't think another stone would make any difference anyway. He's got a 2-3 yard sart on 99% of chanpionship defenders in his head, passes ans assists like a Premiership 10 and has always been lethal given a sight of goal.

* Disclaimer - this may have been scribed by a fully-paid up Chrissy Martin fanboy

My brother said hello to him the other day (their kids go to the same school) and said he looks in incredible shape.

There have been only two occasions in world football when the first offer has been accepted:

#1. Sir Lionel Pickering: Blackburn want Christian Daily. . . 
The Bald Eagle: Dont take anything less than £3.5 million . . . 
Sir Lionel Pickering: They’ve offered 5. 
The Bald Eagle: I’ll go and empty his locker. . . 

#2. Seth Johnson’s Agent: I’ll do the talking Seth. . . At a push I think we can get £24k a week..

Later... 

Leeds Chairman: We’ll pay you £32k a week... not a penny more!

Seth Johnson’s agent: errrmm! could I just have 2 minutes with my client? 

CM will want 2 years surely. I think he’s worth it. Just a question of both sides being sensible. I buy my season ticket because I want to see great players like CM who is more than your average Champioonship clogger. 

In many ways we need each other.

We aren’t going to get a player in with the ability to replace him without spending a substantial amount in transfer fees, wages or both.

Chris Martin isn’t going to be getting many decent offers given the current state of clubs finances so his options will be limited.

Lets hope they find common ground and he stays on for at least another year!

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

Honestly think the cult of Chris Martin is the best thing about this website ?

We do at least try and have a laugh with it. Always been disappointed I never got posters calling us  ‘Martinis’ off the ground to be honest.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

We do at least try and have a laugh with it. Always been disappointed I never got posters calling us  ‘Martinis’ off the ground to be honest.

Or indeed Chrisms as he is the anointed one.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

You seem a bit shaken that it hasn't taken off but just ignore me.........I'm just stirring it.

Archived