Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Chrissie isn't your age range Angie  you cougar....?

Haha, given my favourite Derby players ever are Bruce Rioch, Charlie George, Colin Todd, ooh Mark Wright and our Chris Martin, I  hope you realise I'm more interested in the football than the looks. None of them are exactly oil paintings! 

If I was picking players based on their looks I'd go for Fikayo Tomori or Bradley Johnson.  Or gorgeous George, of course! 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Haha, given my favourite Derby players ever are Bruce Rioch, Charlie George, Colin Todd, ooh Mark Wright and our Chris Martin, I  hope you realise I'm more interested in the football than the looks. None of them are exactly oil paintings! 

If I was picking players based on their looks I'd go for Fikayo Tomori or Bradley Johnson.  Or gorgeous George, of course! 

bucko.jpg.73a4dacc3f03c94ee9c3a50b518bf11b.jpg 

Haven't you forgotten someone?

Hey good looking, you're always number 1.

I cannot fathom why we wouldn’t agree a deal with CM for another couple of seasons. There are no obvious issues with his fitness; his form recently is as good as it ever was goals- and assists-wise. We don’t have a lot of depth in the striking role certainly not in the class of CM and we look a better team with CM in the game. Doesn’t make logical sense. I can only think the Club’s initial offer was their final offer and CM has an alternative.  Birmingham I guess is commutable. ?

27 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Birmingham I guess is commutable

I was laughed at when I suggested Birmingham, what with Nigel in the running for the manager's job and all. Not that they have pots of money but who does?

You would've thought if he were staying they'd have gotten it over the line today so he could have kept playing this season.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I was laughed at when I suggested Birmingham, what with Nigel in the running for the manager's job and all.

You would've thought if he were staying they'd have gotten it over the line today so he could have kept playing this season.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he finds his way there. 

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I cannot fathom why we wouldn’t agree a deal with CM for another couple of seasons. There are no obvious issues with his fitness; his form recently is as good as it ever was goals- and assists-wise. We don’t have a lot of depth in the striking role certainly not in the class of CM and we look a better team with CM in the game. Doesn’t make logical sense. I can only think the Club’s initial offer was their final offer and CM has an alternative.  Birmingham I guess is commutable. ?

I think it's more simple than that. 

We've got absolutely no idea when finances will return to pre Covid levels, as it was we're losing around £20m a year, based on £13m allowable losses for P&S regulations, £5m cost of a Cat1 academy and give or take another £1m a year in infrastructure such as the ground and training facility.

With the loss of ticket, sponsorship and broadcast revenue that must be another sizable chunk just in the last 3 months, nevermind what's to come in the future, and for how long, how on earth can you extend contracts for well paid older players under such circumstances, especially when we've no idea what a future market fair rate for such players will be?

Even a short term extension on the same terms may be a tough ask, say he's on 20k a week, and we extend until the end of the season. We'd be committing another £120k to cover the season, plus £80k for a months severance pay at the end of the contract.

Say the same for Hudds, and suddenly you're looking at half a million for a few extra weeks once employer contributions such as tax and pensions are added.

That's a hell of a layout for a club sitting in 12th place with its finances on a cliff edge.

I've nothing against Martin, far from it he's my favourite player and has been since he joined, if I was in charge he'd be staying regardless and first on the teamsheet.

But football must and will change to reflect the circumstances, I'd offer him the same terms to see the season out, I think we may be breaking rules to offer him less, and ask him to show me his best offer from elsewhere before making a counter offer to extend beyond this season.

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We've got absolutely no idea when finances will return to pre Covid levels, as it was.....

I fear you're right.

Damn, I hate that virus.

(clearly there are more important reasons to hate the virus but even so... I hope you all know what I mean)

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he finds his way there. 

No. If we're shaking the piggy bank for change I think there trying to find 50p down the sofa.  The reason Clough is in the running for the job would be reasonably low wages and a manager who can manage a reasonably low budget squad .  No 15k a week signings for them or us I expect. 

8 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We've got absolutely no idea when finances will return to pre Covid levels...

Well yes, but you wouldn't think that one (or two if it's Hudds as well) player to the end of this season would kill us.

9 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We've got absolutely no idea when finances will return to pre Covid levels, as it was we're losing around £20m a year, based on £13m allowable losses for P&S regulations, £5m cost of a Cat1 academy and give or take another £1m a year in infrastructure such as the ground and training facility.

With the loss of ticket, sponsorship and broadcast revenue that must be another sizable chunk just in the last 3 months, nevermind what's to come in the future, and for how long, how on earth can you extend contracts for well paid older players under such circumstances, especially when we've no idea what a future market fair rate for such players will be?

Even a short term extension on the same terms may be a tough ask, say he's on 20k a week, and we extend until the end of the season. We'd be committing another £120k to cover the season, plus £80k for a months severance pay at the end of the contract.

Say the same for Hudds, and suddenly you're looking at half a million for a few extra weeks once employer contributions such as tax and pensions are added.

That's a hell of a layout for a club sitting in 12th place with its finances on a cliff edge.

I've nothing against Martin, far from it he's my favourite player and has been since he joined, if I was in charge he'd be staying regardless and first on the teamsheet.

But football must and will change to reflect the circumstances, I'd offer him the same terms to see the season out, I think we may be breaking rules to offer him less, and ask him to show me his best offer from elsewhere before making a counter offer to extend beyond this season.

Sadly true - but we will need a replacement where as with Huddlestone which just don’t need a replacement 

Chris Martin

Talks have been ongoing in recent weeks between the club and representatives of Chris Martin.

A temporary agreement has been reached to extend the player’s contract until the end of the current season.

The club and the player’s representatives remain in discussion relating to a longer-term solution.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/06/contracts-update-june-2020

Archived