Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Andicis said:
Sad times.

Chris Martin has rejected Derby’s first official offer in contract negotiations The Athletic understands. Martin, 31, is set to leave Derby on a free transfer at the end of June, bringing a close to his seven-year stay at Pride Park.

It’s believed Derby’s opening offer to Martin was a 12-month extension with an option the club could pick up for a further year at the end of that. The Athletic understands the deal was heavy on incentives. There is a willingness from both sides to get a fresh deal over the line however it’s believed this opening offer is quite far apart from the terms Martin is seeking.

Martin has forced his way into manager Phillip Cocu’s plans in unlikely circumstances this term. Before the season began the striker was free to leave the club. The Athletic understood that several clubs in League One and Scotland enquired about his services but Martin rejected all offers and decided to stay and fight for his...

Chris ? !!!!

First round of negotiations, not an overly helpful article and hopefully it’s a bit of Conway jumping the gun to get them clicks. Noticed in Nicholson’s report he made sure to reference its reported in the athletic!

In fairness as well here, CM19 has had how many years when he’s been moving round the country and not really known what his next move is. Probably wants at least two years guaranteed so he knows he doesn’t have to worry about moving his family.

Lots of positives from that 

the manager wants him ! 

He wants to play for Derby county !

the contract offer is sensible if it’s based on incentives due to his health and fitness record in recent times 

a bit more flexibility from all sides required as the realities of the covid 19 new finance in the football world begins to bite 

And what would it cost to get someone as good to replace him because we simply haven’t got anyone based on this season 

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Lots of positives from that 

the manager wants him ! 

He wants to play for Derby county !

the contract offer is sensible if it’s based on incentives due to his health and fitness record in recent times 

a bit more flexibility from all sides required as the realities of the covid 19 new finance in the football world begins to bite 

And what would it cost to get someone as good to replace him because we simply haven’t got anyone based on this season 

And maybe his agent just leaking a little bit out, to maybe squeeze the pips a bit more.

Well at least the fact a contract has been offered indicates that we want him to stay. We’d be mental not to. A 1 year deal with the option of a further year seems pretty fair to me though given Martins age and recent fitness concerns. I’d be a bit disappointed in him if he turned the deal down purely because of that. Hopefully though it’s more just a question of wages - I’m sure we want him to take a paycut and I’m sure he’d be willing to do so to stay somewhere where he’s comfortable, it’s just a question of how much of one he’s willing to take. The rejection of the initial offer might worryingly suggest the club and player are a long way apart in their demands in that respect, but hopefully we will reopen talks and reach a compromise all parties are happy with on the second attempt.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well at least the fact a contract has been offered indicates that we want him to stay. We’d be mental not to. A 1 year deal with the option of a further year seems pretty fair to me though given Martins age and recent fitness concerns...

Times have changed but players will still want security. I'd bet we could sign him on a 2/3 year deal for not too much, if it was then incentivised in his favour.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah nice one Chris, it he had missed the boys might not have been up for such a big night a couple of days later!

Perhaps we should stick a couple of West Standers at centre half so that the players don't fancy celebrating in the future?

Archived