Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s quite sad to think how many of the 13/14 squad have never really had that moment of appreciation by fans in Pride Park. I guess in modern football it doesn’t really happen but who really had the moment of ‘goodbye’ where they get subbed off and get a standing round of applause or even have returned and taken it in? Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne, Russell, Grant etc have all left on the quiet more than anything. A set of players who are very important to Derbys recent history who never really had closure so to speak. Ofcourse that’s in part as they didn’t complete the goal of promotion as well, but it’s hard to see a group of players who were adored slowly pushed out by managers with ideas above their station.

That’s why that moment when Martin reappeared this season off the bench and the appreciation he had entering the pitch was a really significant moment for me, I think everyone needed that moment from player to the fan base as a relief point. No one even knew whether we’d see him again and I think a few years of frustration from the fans was let out at point because we all knew the history.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Andicis said:

I just find it so surprising how many people hate the guy, in the time I've watched Derby I've never seen a better striker, I'll never stop being a Martin fanboy for that reason alone. It always amuses me how before I open a Martin thread I always know which posters will be on it and what they will say, though a Martin thread isn't quite the same without Toddy and Ninos!

Also it’s not just how he does it’s how much he makes other players look good if they have half a footballing brain 

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s quite sad to think how many of the 13/14 squad have never really had that moment of appreciation by fans in Pride Park. I guess in modern football it doesn’t really happen but who really had the moment of ‘goodbye’ where they get subbed off and get a standing round of applause or even have returned and taken it in? Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne, Russell, Grant etc have all left on the quiet more than anything. A set of players who are very important to Derbys recent history who never really had closure so to speak. Ofcourse that’s in part as they didn’t complete the goal of promotion as well, but it’s hard to see a group of players who were adored slowly pushed out by managers with ideas above their station.

That’s why that moment when Martin reappeared this season off the bench and the appreciation he had entering the pitch was a really significant moment for me, I think everyone needed that moment from player to the fan base as a relief point. No one even knew whether we’d see him again and I think a few years of frustration from the fans was let out at point because we all knew the history.

Have to admit that moment when he scored against Leeds i felt very emotional...

I'm a fan to be honest.  OK he's maybe not quite where he was but, along with the illness he kept really quiet about, plus being effectively kicked out to Fulham he still gives his all for the club.  At this level there aren't many better natural goal scorers or players with his ability to hold up the ball and lay off to others.  If we can keep him then we should.  We can't afford to waste millions on someone who may or may not be better in the current climate.  I bet hardly any footballers accept the first offer.  Why would CM be any different.  

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

I'm a fan to be honest.  OK he's maybe not quite where he was but, along with the illness he kept really quiet about, plus being effectively kicked out to Fulham he still gives his all for the club.  At this level there aren't many better natural goal scorers or players with his ability to hold up the ball and lay off to others.  If we can keep him then we should.  We can't afford to waste millions on someone who may or may not be better in the current climate.  I bet hardly any footballers accept the first offer.  Why would CM be any different.  

I actually think his footballing brain and skill has improved. And he doesn't seem to fall over as much as he used to. He has 11 goals this season, for saying he didn't feature until the back end of September and there are 9 games left that could easily have equated to a 20 goal season.

Still gutted we have let him go out on loan when we have.

My personal thoughts are he has been a great player for us, got him on a free, great at holding the ball up, great footballing brain, and if he does leave, I will thank him for all the good times, hopefully we will come back with a better offer and he stays, will be hard to replace him, Waggy cost us 4 million and I like him, but he is not as good as Chris Martin in my opinion. 

34 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Rejecting just the first offer to be fair!

Exactly! You never accept the first offer.

Ive always been a huge Chris Martin fan, I thought he was done here but Cocu likes a proper number 9 and we’re playing to his strengths again. Few can argue he’s been one of our best players this season. I hope we can work out a contract with him but it has to be on the right terms for the club which means pay cuts. Covid means more than ever we have to get our finances in order and make tough decisions, club survival is at stake as it is for many other clubs and businesses out there making tough decisions where most of us including me have been negatively impacted and could be further impacted.

If he left Derby, would he have any chance of getting the contract he wants in this climate? I think both parties will want to do a deal here and i remain hopeful they will.

12 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Great post @TuffLuff - had never actually thought about the points you make but I agree with every one of them.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Have to admit that moment when he scored against Leeds i felt very emotional...

Nothing wrong with that, chap! It's what the game is all about, or at least it should be. I get emotional every time I watch that 'Stop Crying' video of the Leeds playoff game - no irony there at all! Makes absolutely no sense at all in the grand scheme of things, but then it doesn't have to really, does it? 

16 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I actually think his footballing brain and skill has improved. And he doesn't seem to fall over as much as he used to. He has 11 goals this season, for saying he didn't feature until the back end of September and there are 9 games left that could easily have equated to a 20 goal season.

Still gutted we have let him go out on loan when we have.

Yeah you're right.  I was maybe more focusing on his speed and athleticism even though he's still competitive.  Either way, I still think he's a great asset for us and wouldn't want him to go. 

20 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

We do at least try and have a laugh with it. Always been disappointed I never got posters calling us  ‘Martinis’ off the ground to be honest.

Crikey I'd just got into drinking D Ram buie's to celebrate on a Saturday, after enjoying several pints of beer, so from now on when Super Chrissy Martin also scores, I'll now also have to stick some Martini into the mix. Love it!

I have a feeling that the stalemate is about the length of contract for Chris as this is probably his last chance of a contract with decent money. At 33/34 unless he is banging them in left right and centre he is likely to have to take a significant pay cut and probably drop down a division 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I swear the Twitter page is teasing us at this point...

Admin is being a bit weird at the minute. The list of ex players that they wish a happy birthday to grows more random by the day. Today it was Matt Carbon, who I'm sure made a contribution, but apparently he only played 20 games for us in his Derby career.

Archived