The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

I thought Cummings should resign Saturday and yesterday. Tonight I am not so sure. I don’t think any journalist laid a glove on him, and it is clear that some of the initial paper reports were incorrect or misleading.  Not sure that he should lose his job is therefore where I currently stand.

That said, the Conservative Party’s handling of this issue has been so poor, misreading completely likely public reaction. Supportive Tweets on Saturday from the Cabinet, and Johnson’s TV briefing last night, only served to increase the whiff from this shitstorm. Cummings should have come out with his briefing much earlier, and until then the politicians should have been advised to do what they do best (avoid answering the question).

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Honestly I’d probably take the wife with me in case there was any reason I couldn’t continue driving and she had to return. By that nature he therefore needed to take his son. It’s probably not a case of you can see or can’t see, it’s probably a grey area so let’s do a check first.

Does she have a driving license?

Not your wife, but Doms?

If she could drive, seeing as she was well clear of symptoms by then, why didn't she?

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Not your wife, but Doms?

If she could drive, seeing as she was well clear of symptoms by then, why didn't she?

He had already had 14 days of near death experience, no man in their right mind would then want a 260 mile car journey with a women at the wheel.

My take on it is this: I didn't vote for them, so it's not my problem. 

Cummings has made some mortal enemies in the press, and they are paying him back handsomely. And they'll probably hound him out of his job now the shoe is on the other foot. 

Cummings seems fairly unpleasant, but that's fairly standard in politics. The press are absolutely base, guttural creatures, and that's fairly standard in journalism.

It's just funny to watch them turn on each other. And it makes Boris look incompetent and feeble, which is also great.

Would Corbyn have done a worse job over coronavirus? Possibly, but I fail to see how he could have.

And lockdown is pretty much finished now. Why should anyone take it seriously if you can make "exceptions" that suit you?

Cummings' comments when asked whether he told Boris about his trip were interesting:

"One of the things I have to decide everyday is what to bother the PM with and what not to bother the PM with  .....
I can't go to him all day asking him what do you think about that-this what do you think about the other  .....
I have to get on with things and I have to make decisions and sometimes I do the right things, sometimes I make mistakes"

I thought one of the reasons behind Brexit was freedom from the power of unelected officials.

1984t.jpg

3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Just out of interest has everyone on here abided by the lockdown rules to the letter of the law or does anyone think if the British Media scrutinised their every movement they could stir up a storm about something they have done in the last 8 weeks?

I haven't

20 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Not your wife, but Doms?

Probably but having been unwell herself recently I am not surprised if she didn’t fancy 270 miles without a ‘proper’ break in there. 

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I thought Cummings should resign Saturday and yesterday. Tonight I am not so sure. I don’t think any journalist laid a glove on him, and it is clear that some of the initial paper reports were incorrect or misleading.  Not sure that he should lose his job is therefore where I currently stand.

That said, the Conservative Party’s handling of this issue has been so poor, misreading completely likely public reaction. Supportive Tweets on Saturday from the Cabinet, and Johnson’s TV briefing last night, only served to increase the whiff from this shitstorm. Cummings should have come out with his briefing much earlier, and until then the politicians should have been advised to do what they do best (avoid answering the question).

When the $hit hit the fan was when he should have come out and said...I realise now that what I did has upset some people, And I would like to take this opportunity to say sorry, I realise that the Country are having to make huge sacrifices, But I thought I was doing the right thing at the time, The concern was with my Son, And hope that you can understand this, As the Father of a 4 year old I thought it best to take him to Family members who he is familier with, Again i'm truly sorry for my actions...COYR.

4 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Just out of interest has everyone on here abided by the lockdown rules to the letter of the law or does anyone think if the British Media scrutinised their every movement they could stir up a storm about something they have done in the last 8 weeks?

I have and it’s driving me round the bend. Out in the morning with the dogs and inside the house/garden for 23 hours a day...every duckin’ day because I worry about the quality people working in hospitals and care homes doing their best to keep people alive despite the very high risk to themselves and their families.

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The person who outlined the policy is the person who decided that it applies to you and me, but it doesn't apply to him.

On this very forum people have spent months discussing and questioning what the rules are? How they are applied, how they relate to individual cases, what level of policing is required, what essentially is safe and within our best interests.

We have had months of listening to politicians and the media claiming the rules aren’t clear, months of questions from the media saying people are confused about what they can and can’t do. Months of numerous human rights lawyers claiming various interpretations of the rules are in fact invalid and have no basis in law. Many have been left confused and frightened.

But now all of a sudden the rules are clear as day? That now we are somehow morally wrong to question this? Or to even query before passing judgement. 

We are all entitled to an opinion and people should have the right to arrive at that opinion by investigating and asking questions. 

8 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Yes we bloody well have even though I don’t agree it’s the right policy over all 

14 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Well all of us have abided by the "rules" as its turned out there weren't any. Just a set of "guidelines" for making best endeavors to meet. 

A bit like the pirate's code in the pirates of the Caribbean ?

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yes we bloody well have even though I don’t agree it’s the right policy over all 

Absolutely everything? I reckon over half my trips to the shop aren’t absolutely necessary and some trips I have often bought stuff I don’t need just because it looked more essential than the bottles of wine I had.

17 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Yes, I have

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well all of us have abided by the "rules" as its turned out there weren't any. Just a set of "guidelines" for making best endeavors to meet. 

A bit like the pirate's code in the pirates of the Caribbean ?

True most of it is using common sense. The rules are for those that can’t apply common sense.

Archived