The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I wish I could do 30 miles in 30 minutes 

Oh was it 30 miles and not 30 minutes. As mentioned I think they should of just attempted the journey back to London so I wasn’t trying to defend the initial trip. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

What about them? How does that change Cummings' situation?

Cummings helped create the rules, he breaks them then comes up with the political version of 'the dog ate my homework'. None of this is changed by stuff that other people have done.

In fact, excuses like 'everyone's doing it' or 'he started it' would be unworthy of his 4-year-old and at least he himself hasn't tried that.

Has he broken the rules or are you latching onto the media and believing the hype stirred up and what you choose to believe and how you decide you interpret it?

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

Running or on a motorway? What kind of car have you got?

It’s all motorway to the castle is it?  Jeez them Norman’s or whoever planned ahead init?  Have they got a underground dungeon/car park too?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Various bits of news coming out now about partial relaxation of the lockdown (Not sure whether I'm making a political point or a Coronavirus point, so playing it safe by putting it in the Politics thread), but what about those of us who have been told that we MUST shelter for a period of at least 12 weeks? Will we be allowed out of our homes come the start of July?

I, for one, would like to make at least some of my own decisions moving forward, instead of people in authority telling me that "It's for my own good". I really don't mind social distancing, and I would be more than happy to wear a face mask when I'm in the proximity of others for their protection (hopefully others will likewise be prepared to wear one for MY protection too).

Did anyone hear whether Boris said anything about those of us who can't take advantage of beaches, car showrooms and shops shortly or even Durham castle?

Use your judgement

1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

Oh was it 30 miles and not 30 minutes. As mentioned I think they should of just attempted the journey back to London so I wasn’t trying to defend the initial trip. 

No you’re right, he said 30 min drive out and went 30 miles.  I can’t get from belper to long eating in 30 mins me. And that’s about 19 miles mostly all A roads.  Anyway, it’s all fantasy anyway so what’s the point in picking at details?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Various bits of news coming out now about partial relaxation of the lockdown (Not sure whether I'm making a political point or a Coronavirus point, so playing it safe by putting it in the Politics thread), but what about those of us who have been told that we MUST shelter for a period of at least 12 weeks? Will we be allowed out of our homes come the start of July?

I, for one, would like to make at least some of my own decisions moving forward, instead of people in authority telling me that "It's for my own good". I really don't mind social distancing, and I would be more than happy to wear a face mask when I'm in the proximity of others for their protection (hopefully others will likewise be prepared to wear one for MY protection too).

Did anyone hear whether Boris said anything about those of us who can't take advantage of beaches, car showrooms and shops shortly or even Durham castle?

Have you had a conversation with your doctor? Most are very understanding of the various situations and will offer sensible advice and reassurance if that’s what you are looking for.

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

Has he broken the rules or are you latching onto the media and believing the hype stirred up and what you choose to believe and how you decide you interpret it?

That's on the main page:

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Digging deeper:

1.6 Can I go out to help a vulnerable person?

You can go out to care for or help a vulnerable person, or to provide other voluntary or charitable services, following the advice set out here. You should not do so if you have coronavirus symptoms, however mild.

Wherever possible, you should stay at least two metres away from others, and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds (or use hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available).

1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance. You shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household unless you can practise social distancing - for example by cycling. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed.

(My underlining and bold)

5 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Who needs the media ,, he has told us from his own mouth and also been as careful as poss to hold back The telling until he’s sure what he has to admit to 
your clearly happy with his actions and excuses and that’s your right 

25 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I just don’t see how it can be defended really.

I have some small sympathy for his initial situation. I’m too young to have kids but I can understand any parent doing what they can to ensure they are okay. 

But his kid and his wife both ended up in a hospital in Durham with suspected Covid 19. At a time when there were limited cases in Durham - this is EXACTLY why lockdown rules were in place, to prevent or at the very least limit the spread of a highly infectious disease within the country, so to willingly take Covid symptoms 250 miles is at best negligent and at worst shows an arrogance that the rules don’t apply beyond anything a ‘normal’ person can get away with. You then have any small amount of contact he may have had with his relatives while up there who then pass it on further.

You then have the Barnard Castle ‘trip’ - why would anyone in their right mind take a 30 mile trip to check their eyesight? If you don’t think your eyesight is okay to be driving or have any doubt then this is illegal, for a start. So it’s either breaking the law or he’s lying. Why would he not go to an industrial estate, or a quiet car park to check? Why a tourist hotspot coincidentally on his wife’s birthday? 

It just doesn’t check out and the public deserve to know. They deserve to know why they have made sacrifices for the good of everyone else when the rules are clearly more relaxed than was ever implied or explicitly mentioned at the time, and they deserve to know who was allowed to break them and who wasn’t. If common sense was fine to be followed then that is concerning, as Cummings is clearly lacking in it. He can’t remember (or it didn’t come up in the cover story concocted over the last couple of days) whether he got petrol, he can’t remember whether he ever discussed it with the Prime Minister and he didn’t think to make a more sensible journey to check his sight.

Frankly I have no axe to grind with the man, I have no real political persuasion so that doesn’t come in to it. But all of this nonsense that the media are going after him? I don’t like the media but the public deserve answers on this and the media is the best way to get them. I can’t believe the some people are so willing to accept this story

Why the media and not a police investigation or the inquiry labour and the other political parties are asking for. We as the public deserve to know the full story but I trust the media about as much as I trust Mr Cummings.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That's on the main page:

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Digging deeper:

1.6 Can I go out to help a vulnerable person?

You can go out to care for or help a vulnerable person, or to provide other voluntary or charitable services, following the advice set out here. You should not do so if you have coronavirus symptoms, however mild.

Wherever possible, you should stay at least two metres away from others, and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds (or use hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available).

1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance. You shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household unless you can practise social distancing - for example by cycling. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed.

(My underlining and bold)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZyvaD5M_pAhVhoFwKHcuUB7IQFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fhealth-52784152&usg=AOvVaw3HoZpvGyl83IpSZ6EebaPs

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Just to point out that you feel bloody awful after Covid 19 and vision problems is a symptom along with lethargy. 

All these people who haven’t had it should think themselves lucky. 

A Good play in the woods sorts that lethargy out double quick?

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

To all the clever people who haven’t had Covid 19 I hope you don’t get it. 

Dominic Cummings said he felt awful. 

Do you not believe him about that even. 

No.

His lips moved while telling us.

The fact is, if he was a cabinet minister, a lower ranking MP or a scientific advisor to the Gov or as such, he'd have been gone by now.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

No.

His lips moved while telling us.

The fact is, if he was a cabinet minister, a lower ranking MP or a scientific advisor to the Gov or as such, he'd have been gone by now.

What is not understood by this 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZyvaD5M_pAhVhoFwKHcuUB7IQFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fhealth-52784152&usg=AOvVaw3HoZpvGyl83IpSZ6EebaPs

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

To all the clever people who haven’t had Covid 19 I hope you don’t get it. 

Dominic Cummings said he felt awful. 

Do you not believe him about that even. 

If he told me tomorrow was Tuesday I’d still check. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Presumably the 'best' of everybody else's ability is better than Cummings and his wife.

She had symptoms. They should not have left home. Look after the kid to the best of their abilities. Like everyone else has had to do.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Presumably the 'best' of everybody else's ability is better than Cummings and his wife.

She had symptoms. They should not have left home. Look after the kid to the best of their abilities. Like everyone else has had to do.

You can’t read can you 

Archived