The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

Just out of interest has everyone on here abided by the lockdown rules to the letter of the law or does anyone think if the British Media scrutinised their every movement they could stir up a storm about something they have done in the last 8 weeks?

I'm guilty.

I've been round me 83 year old mums two or three times a week.

She fell and broke her hip the week after lockdown, she spent nearly two weeks in hospital where we could not visit her or even take any clothing or personal items for her, just daily phone calls, no other contact.

She came home from hospital unable to walk, she lives on her own after me Dad passed away little over a year ago.

So me and the missus have been going in, gloved, aproned and masked as best we could for the minimum amount of time to bag up and take washing to do at home, warm her up a meal, do what ever else you have to do with an 83 year old invalid, once the carers were in place we made absolute minimum visits, again just to sort stuff the carers didn't do and for her mental health. She is scared, feeling depressed, lonely, and missing all her family, grandkids and great grandkids. 

I am working still so most likely to infect her so I have kept my distance and tried to sanitise everything even though I use disposable gloves etc.

We stand at the front window and talk to her by phone but sometimes we have to go in as she is in distress, often over a little thing, summat she can't reach or open.....its heartbreaking , but we do what we have to while trying our best to keep her safe.

Cummings is the very embodiment of everything that is corrupt and vile in this great country of ours. Selfish elites making the rules but having no intention whatsoever of following them. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone read his wife’s article on their covid experience in the Spectator?

She said he spent 10 days in bed in London as sick as a dog!

She never mentioned the trip to Durham.......or the trip to the castle............or the eyesight driving test...........or the walk in the woods, etc, etc!

Its almost as if he took a different wife and child...........probably caught that from his mate Boris too!

53 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Why the media and not a police investigation or the inquiry labour and the other political parties are asking for. We as the public deserve to know the full story but I trust the media about as much as I trust Mr Cummings.

I don’t think police is appropriate - I think his ‘social crime’ far outweighs any actual crime he may have committed or otherwise, an independent investigation may work but in reality he is just a member of the public (albeit one of great public interest because on the balance of probability he has advised the lockdown measures we are in), it is not like he is an MP who can be held to account through those channels.

I thought the media at his briefing were actually very good today. They probed in the right places but I don’t believe were particularly invasive. The paparazzi at his home are a different matter entirely and I disagree massively with those being there - this isn’t his family’s fault, especially not his child’s. I would expect more questions to be raised over the next few days because of the inconsistencies and holes in some of his story.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

To all the clever people who haven’t had Covid 19 I hope you don’t get it. 

Dominic Cummings said he felt awful. 

Do you not believe him about that even. 

What's your point Curtains? No way can you make this Bamford of a Tory into anything but a steaming pile of poo!

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

He asked for medical advice as to wether he was ok to drive and return to work, he was apparently given the all clear.

His wife questioned his driving ability and wanted to make her own assessment. Should they have left the 4 year old on his own whilst she carried out her own personal assessment?

I certainly don’t think everyone is stupid, why would I?

I thought that was what the niece was for. They went to Durham for her services, didn't they? To put her in danger rather than a friend in London.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I thought that was what the niece was for. They went to Durham for her services, didn't they? To put her in danger rather than a friend in London.

The same reason she didn’t drive his missus to hospital with the poorly kid.

27 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yep and they had been declared clear and safe to go back to work with isolation period over ?

23 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yes that’s true they could of left him with the niece whilst they went for the test drive if at that point they had finished isolation.

Did the media specifically ask why they didn’t do that? I can’t remember without having to rewatch it. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Various bits of news coming out now about partial relaxation of the lockdown (Not sure whether I'm making a political point or a Coronavirus point, so playing it safe by putting it in the Politics thread), but what about those of us who have been told that we MUST shelter for a period of at least 12 weeks? Will we be allowed out of our homes come the start of July?

I, for one, would like to make at least some of my own decisions moving forward, instead of people in authority telling me that "It's for my own good". I really don't mind social distancing, and I would be more than happy to wear a face mask when I'm in the proximity of others for their protection (hopefully others will likewise be prepared to wear one for MY protection too).

Did anyone hear whether Boris said anything about those of us who can't take advantage of beaches, car showrooms and shops shortly or even Durham castle?

Would you like to provide any evidence Eddie to support your statement that you MUST shelter/must not leave your home till the beginning of July.

I doubt there is anything stopping you now, or anytime in the last two months, from doing anything that others have been doing. You continue with this fallacy that you are under house arrest. You are not.  You were I suspect more simply advised that the safest course of action for you, given your pre-existing health condition, was to stay at home and avoid all face-to-face contact.

4 hours ago, jimmyp said:

So in the last couple of pages of this thread it’s been mentioned that it’s  ok to target his house because he is vile, his appearance is that of a gimp, that he is a vile arrogant and emotionless person, that no matter what he says or evidence he provides it is a lie lie lie. That for being nervous whilst undergoing a very difficult live press conference this somehow makes him a bad person.

And that if other fellow Derby county fans dare question any of the above statements, dare to wait to hear both sides of the story, dare to even take time to give ourselves a chance to fully investigate the situation before passing judgement that we are then somehow the inexcusable and embarrassing human beings that should get a grip!

It’s all rather backwards and no wonder that political debate is now so widely avoided. 

What do you think, right or wrong what he did ?

51 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm guilty.

I've been round me 83 year old mums two or three times a week.

She fell and broke her hip the week after lockdown, she spent nearly two weeks in hospital where we could not visit her or even take any clothing or personal items for her, just daily phone calls, no other contact.

She came home from hospital unable to walk, she lives on her own after me Dad passed away little over a year ago.

So me and the missus have been going in, gloved, aproned and masked as best we could for the minimum amount of time to bag up and take washing to do at home, warm her up a meal, do what ever else you have to do with an 83 year old invalid, once the carers were in place we made absolute minimum visits, again just to sort stuff the carers didn't do and for her mental health. She is scared, feeling depressed, lonely, and missing all her family, grandkids and great grandkids. 

I am working still so most likely to infect her so I have kept my distance and tried to sanitise everything even though I use disposable gloves etc.

We stand at the front window and talk to her by phone but sometimes we have to go in as she is in distress, often over a little thing, summat she can't reach or open.....its heartbreaking , but we do what we have to while trying our best to keep her safe.

Cummings is the very embodiment of everything that is corrupt and vile in this great country of ours. Selfish elites making the rules but having no intention whatsoever of following them. 

I am sorry to hear about your mum. I hope it all works out well. Might you explain how your recent actions are different to what Cummings has done. It seems to me that both of you have made decisions that offer the best protection to your loved one?  Nothing wrong with that, in fact most of us would come to the same decision (notwithstanding the guidelines).

Just now, i-Ram said:

I am sorry to hear about your mum. I hope it all works out well. Might you explain how your recent actions are different to what Cummings has done. It seems to me that both of you have made decisions that offer the best protection to your loved one?  Nothing wrong with that, in fact most of us would come to the same decision (notwithstanding the guidelines).

Cummings had his wife there too. He also had enough money to hire some sort of support/nurse I imagine. Get real.

24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The same reason she didn’t drive his missus to hospital with the poorly kid.

The wife and kid went in an ambulance didn’t they? He picked them up from hospital because he apparently felt well enough to drive and didn’t want to infect the niece. 

The test drive was afterwards when they had recovered and finished isolation. They should of just driven straight back to London or if the wife insisted on a test drive at that point they could of left the kid with the niece. Maybe she was at work or something? Who knows.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I live a mile from me mum and wouldn't of dreamt of going round if I had symptoms let alone dump my infected family on her. 

I really struggle to understand your support for him. I'm not playing political games here. This bloke is the architect of government policy, at the time of him driving 250 miles to stay with his parents he was instructing us all to stay at home and protect the NHS.

I find it quite sad that you don't understand the difference unless of course you are just blindly backing him for political reasons.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The small matter of neither party having CV? That and the fact that @uttoxram75 has stated clearly what he has done without duress, whereas Cummings has lied through his teeth and undermined the government's efforts to control the spread of the pandemic in the process. And don't use the word 'notwithstanding' please mate, you know how much it upsets @Norman ?

3 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

Just out of interest has everyone on here abided by the lockdown rules to the letter of the law or does anyone think if the British Media scrutinised their every movement they could stir up a storm about something they have done in the last 8 weeks?

Utterly and totally, because those are the rules - or rather, they were. Since April 1 I have remained indoors or no more than 2 metres from my front door or within my (enclosed) back garden. Front door to collect parcels and deliveries, to bring them into the house where I meticulously clean everything, move it into quarantine, wash work-surfaces down with dilute bleach solution before washing my hands thoroughly. Back garden to enjoy a little bit of sunshine and a beer or do a little gardening. No trips out to the supermarket, no walks, no visits to or from anybody, no trip to the paper shop. If anyone delivers anything, they knock at the front door, put everything down on the path, then they leave. Once they have gone, and not before, I collect everything and bring it indoors.

I used to work in research before I moved into IT 40 years ago, and some of the substances I was dealing with had an LD50 of as little as 4 micrograms/kg - and some could be absorbed through the skin (stuff that was approaching 50% of the kill potential of Novichok). It teaches you how to take precautions.

Archived