Max Bird.

Rev

Just bumping this thread, as it shouldn’t get ignored among all the Rooney excitement that Max got MOTM this evening. Great performance from the lad, amazing to think he’s only on his third start.

That's Knight and now Bird with back to back MOTM performances. What a midfield we’re building. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Just bumping this thread, as it shouldn’t get ignored among all the Rooney excitement that Max got MOTM this evening. Great performance from the lad, amazing to think he’s only on his third start.

That's Knight and now Bird with back to back MOTM performances. What a midfield we’re building. 

From the stands, it looked like Bird got given MOTM by Sky (is this right?). The stadium announcer said the one chosen by the club/sponsors (?) was Lowe, and rightly so IMO.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

From the stands, it looked like Bird got given MOTM by Sky (is this right?). The stadium announcer said the one chosen by the club/sponsors (?) was Lowe, and rightly so IMO.

Yeah sorry it was Sky Sports MOTM. Didn’t hear the stadium one. Lowe was also excellent so glad he got some kudos. 

I thought Bird played well but having now watched much of the recording of the game, I would say he played very well. One thing that stands out when you watch it again is how many times he uses his pace to support breakaway attacks.

Max Bird was great again tonight, reads the game so well, for such a young player, think he will play at the top one day, really impressed with him, to be fair Lowe, Bird and Knight all look very good prospects for the future, exciting times just around the corner I think. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

I thought Bird played well but having now watched much of the recording of the game, I would say he played very well. One thing that stands out when you watch it again is how many times he uses his pace to support breakaway attacks.

There was a great moment where he won it at the edge of our box and just drove through 3 players to get us on the attack... Or at least I think that is what I saw.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

Heck, you've watched the game twice already? Hats off to you sir, I've only just got home. 

Didn’t think it was quite a MOM performance as he pulled out of a couple of tackles he should’ve been stronger in (Lowe was the more deserving MOM), but it was still another very good performance by him, just like the other night. Almost looks a little like A young Huddlestone with a bit more mobility to me, he played some beautiful first time passes. Seems a very intelligent player, knows what he’s doing before the ball gets to him, that’s one of the most positive signs for me in a young player. Got around the pitch very well as well, contributing in defence and going forward creatively. Very early days yet, too early to get too excited, but he’s showing the vision and intelligence of a player who could go to the top. Very very impressive at this stage in his career.

As a midfield unit, we’ve been sooooo much better since him and Knight came in as well. Actually making an impact on games now, even controlling them at times. Two games In a row now pretty much all the midfield have had very good performances, providing everything needed from a strong middle of the park - Battling to win the ball back, carrying it through the pitch, and most importantly FINALLY some creativity. The number of chances we created in the last couple of games has to be more than a the previous couple of months! Finally we look to have a semi competent midfield, and it’s great to see the academy lads playing a massive part in it.

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Didn’t think it was quite a MOM performance as he pulled out of a couple of tackles he should’ve been stronger in (Lowe was the more deserving MOM), but it was still another very good performance by him, just like the other night. Almost looks a little like A young Huddlestone with a bit more mobility to me, he played some beautiful first time passes. Seems a very intelligent player, knows what he’s doing before the ball gets to him, that’s one of the most positive signs for me in a young player. Got around the pitch very well as well, contributing in defence and going forward creatively. Very early days yet, too early to get too excited, but he’s showing the vision and intelligence of a player who could go to the top. Very very impressive at this stage in his career.

As a midfield unit, we’ve been sooooo much better since him and Knight came in as well. Actually making an impact on games now, even controlling them at times. Two games In a row now pretty much all the midfield have had very good performances, providing everything needed from a strong middle of the park - Battling to win the ball back, carrying it through the pitch, and most importantly FINALLY some creativity. The number of chances we created in the last couple of games has to be more than a the previous couple of months! Finally we look to have a semi competent midfield, and it’s great to see the academy lads playing a massive part in it.

Totally agree - More chances created in two games than I can remember in the last 5 or 6 home games......we suddenly look dangerous every time we win the ball back.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

After Villa away last season I questioned whether he would be good enough for this level, but he is developing into quite the player

I want to see him away vs boro thats the test

Away games I still feel that holmes and bird would get overrawed, lets hope I am proven wrong

Love how he wins the ball back with ease, he just reads the game so well and steps out to intercept. 
My only constructive criticism is he can be guilty of playing a safe pass and playing backwards to a defender when there’s a chance to play forward into a midfielder, if he improves that he’ll be a real player. 
Don’t get me wrong, fantastic talent and I think he will make the grade I’d just like him to back his ability and do it more often because he can do it. 

55 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Totally agree - More chances created in two games than I can remember in the last 5 or 6 home games......we suddenly look dangerous every time we win the ball back.

Think Knight has been instrumental in that, his movement is finally creating some space and options for those playing balls into the final third. Just need someone to start taking the chances more often.

Archived