Max Bird.

Rev

Everyone else seems to have their own topic, I think Bird deserves one too.

Really came of age I thought tonight, excelled in the role he had to play once Bielik was sent off, took responsibility like a man and was integral to our performance.

Not since Will left have I made the decision to stop watching the overall play and just focus on what one player was doing for any period of time, but I spent the last few minutes of the 1st half just watching Max.

His movement, always wanting to receive the ball, making angles to be in the best position, and his use of the ball once he'd received it were top notch, as was his sensing danger when the ball was ahead of him, and positioning himself to suit.

With a fair wind, he's going to develop into some player.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given his debut by Rowett in a league cup tie as a 16 year old more than two years ago, then has suffered from some poor selection decisions like having to start away at Villa last season as part of a “lambs to the slaughter” weakened team.

I was beginning to think he would go the way of the Lee Holmes / Mark O’Brien / Mason Bennett school of promising early debutants (although to be fair to MO’B he went on to have a decent career). Last night changed my opinion.

CDM is a difficult position in which to catch the eye, especially as a young player. However, he was assured and confident there and in the second half really grew into the game. There was a phase where we seemed to be passing around them in triangles as if it was us who had the extra man - something not really seen since the days of Mac 1.

As others have mentioned, the surging run to set up Marriott was really impressive, and the cross for the second goal was as good as anything our senior players have done all season.

Could it really come to pass that within a couple of years we put out a first choice midfield of Bird, Knight and Sibley?

6 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Really came of age I thought tonight, excelled in the role he had to play once Bielik was sent off, took responsibility like a man and was integral to our performance.

Not since Will left have I made the decision to stop watching the overall play and just focus on what one player was doing for any period of time, but I spent the last few minutes of the 1st half just watching Max.

His movement, always wanting to receive the ball, making angles to be in the best position, and his use of the ball once he'd received it were top notch, as was his sensing danger when the ball was ahead of him, and positioning himself to suit.

He was excellent last night and one driving run reminded me of Hendrick.

6 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Glad it wasnt just me that was doing this. Although Knight & Holmes were doing the more eye-catching work, I felt Bird's constant availability for a pass & his composure on the ball helped to create the triangles which enabled us to get up the pitch. Although Charlton pressed hard & we only had 10 men, it made no difference to his willingness to do this.

His set pieces were very good & I particularly liked his timing of the 'killer ball'..the driving run & release at the last minute for Marriott's chance and of course the assist for Knight's second. You also rightly highlight his defensive positioning, very mature & a key reason why Charlton struggled to land a glove on us.

We've missed a 'tempo' midfield player since Will left (Huddlestone is too immobile to truly play that role). Although it was only one game, I was really encouraged by what I saw from Bird last night. Best thing here is that in Cocu, he is being managed by a previously World Class defensive playmaker. Really looking forward to seeing him develop.

Yep, very good, understated performance last night. Made sure to not shy away, positioned himself well to regain possession, and alongside Holmes he absolutely dominated the Charlton midfield. Both of them had so many touches, and Bird in particular played some brilliant, Huddlestone esque passes. That assist was different class, a perfectly weighted pass, times to perfection. Wonderful vision. Very early days yet of course, and too early in his senior career really to make any judgement on how good he’ll be, but to be in the first team at his age is some going, he obviously has massive potential. He’s got many more years left to develop, so who knows how good he could become?

4 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Given his debut by Rowett in a league cup tie as a 16 year old more than two years ago, then has suffered from some poor selection decisions like having to start away at Villa last season as part of a “lambs to the slaughter” weakened team.

I was beginning to think he would go the way of the Lee Holmes / Mark O’Brien / Mason Bennett school of promising early debutants (although to be fair to MO’B he went on to have a decent career). Last night changed my opinion.

Evidence that Cocu clearly knows how to treat academy players and bring them through properly. Good signs, especially when compared to the treatment they've received from the likes of Rowett and Lampard.

I think we've been lacking potency in the final third particularly from midfield all season.  Max was integral in changing that last night and without wanting to cast aspersions could you imagine Evans or any of our other CDMs this season making that assist?  Not me, and it wasn't just that he did it from CDM but he did it from CDM in a team playing with ten men.

Well played young man.  Let's go again!

11 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Well said and it was certainly Bird’s best game in the first team and he combined very well with lowe and knight which was great to see - lots of energy 

Hope Bird pushes on now. Heard good things but not seen much to back it up.

Would love nothing more than to see a team with Bogle, Buchanan, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker and others in and around it in the coming years.

All have potential to play at the top level. 

Once the senior players trust someone like Bird, he’ll look/get better. I thought he was in very good spaces at times last night but wasn’t passed to. We went long instead. An example being towards the end of the first half. The ball had been passed back to Hamer, Bird made himself available in the middle with acres of space but Hamer just whacked it long for it to be lost... They trusted him more second half

I think this boy really is something special. Knight took the plaudits and rightly so because of his goals and his brilliant performance. Knight stands out more because he is a busier looking player. However Bird though looks class to me. Time on the ball, you can always tell the good players from that. Not hurried. More pace than perhaps was initially obvious. Then there is that lovely left foot, weight of pass, delivery of the ball. A 'football brain' however that is defined.

He will need time and patience but I for one am more than willing to support and have patience with our own young players. I predict a very bright future for Max. I think he has the right coaches to help him reach his potential

Archived