Max Bird.

Rev

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

Who would pick Bierlik over Bird at the moment ?

Not me, but it is great to have a £10M back up ?

Personally start them both in a double pivot. It isn't like having two ultra defensive holding midfielders as they're both powerful athletes capable of covering ground. 

30 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Let me rephrase the question for those certain few....... you know who you are.

On current form do you think Max Bird or Krystian Beirlik is playing better.

Otherwise I bet you guys would play 6-4-4 with 3 goalkeepers right !!!

Bielek Bird

Holmes Rooney Knight

Is my starting midfield at the moment based on current performances and the fact I think Bielek has been a victim of playing in such an abysmal team in such an exposed position. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Bielek Bird

Holmes Rooney Knight

Is my starting midfield at the moment based on current performances and the fact I think Bielek has been a victim of playing in such an abysmal team in such an exposed position. 

Who you dropping then, Waghorn? Just out of interest.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Favourite- definitely Sibley. 

I like Archie Brown, he has such potential. Would love to see Jahmal Hector-Ingram get a run out at senior level too, think he can do the things we've been asking Morgan Whittaker to do the last 2 games.

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

I like Archie Brown, he has such potential. Would love to see Jahmal Hector-Ingram get a run out at senior level too, think he can do the things we've been asking Morgan Whittaker to do the last 2 games.

Me too. I like all the academy lads and I was actually bigging Archie up to a bloke I was chatting to last night. And Jahmal just seems to have the scoring knack (needs this season to get properly fit, though!) And I agree about him doing what Whittaker is being asked to do, too. For me, Whittaker is more of a stealth player - does it very well but hasn't really been asked to play that role for the first team yet.

It's so hard to pick a favourite and that's more a feeling sort of thing. I just love how competitive Sibley is and admire his instinct for grabbing a goal when the game needs one.

If I had been asked who in the academy is the best player, or has the greatest potential,  I might have answered differently. Or I might not! 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Me too. I like all the academy lads and I was actually bigging Archie up to a bloke I was chatting to last night. And Jahmal just seems to have the scoring knack (needs this season to get properly fit, though!) And I agree about him doing what Whittaker is being asked to do, too. For me, Whittaker is more of a stealth player - does it very well but hasn't really been asked to play that role for the first team yet.

It's so hard to pick a favourite and that's more a feeling sort of thing. I just love how competitive Sibley is and admire his instinct for grabbing a goal when the game needs one.

If I had been asked who in the academy is the best player, or has the greatest potential,  I might have answered differently. Or I might not! 

Good descriptor of Morgan Whittaker that. He's scored a hell of a lot of goals, and they're mainly from an inside forward position, not as a central striker. He does ghost in and find space in that sort of manner. He's not got the bulk for his height really, and I'm not sure his frame would take it, but he will certainly get naturally a bit stronger as he grows up a bit.

29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Bielek Bird

Holmes Rooney Knight

Thanks ?

Having watched the game back on Sky this morning I was struck by how easy it is to miss all the great work that Bird got through last night.  His hard work was one of the main reasons Rooney was able to stroll around the pitch with a cigar on.  I have to say that I always thought Bird had the ability but suspected that he needed to grow into his own body over the next year or so to fulfil his potential.

But talk about being given a chance and grabbing it.  Last week I was adamant we needed a tall mobile technical midfielder (a la Van Ginkel), today it's definitely less of a priority.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

What I liked was that he wasn’t scared to give Marriott a rollocking when they were through 2 on 1 with the keeper and Marriott had a shot

Can tell why he has captained through the age groups

Yes and I loved it - the team comes first not the individual 

55 minutes ago, Srg said:

Good descriptor of Morgan Whittaker that. He's scored a hell of a lot of goals, and they're mainly from an inside forward position, not as a central striker. He does ghost in and find space in that sort of manner. He's not got the bulk for his height really, and I'm not sure his frame would take it, but he will certainly get naturally a bit stronger as he grows up a bit.

I've said a few times that he seems quite similar to Jarrod Bowen at Hull. Not the kind of player to pick it up from deep, take it past three players and put in a cross; but someone who finds a pocket of space and finds the corner from range. It will be extremely difficult for him to break into the first team when he's such a niche player, but if he takes his chance then he could be a good goalscoring option.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Who you dropping then, Waghorn? Just out of interest.

Yeah. Good finish last night but I’d say he’s the weakest at the moment of those playing in the 3 behind the striker. 
It’s an incredibly long season though and I expect Rooney, Holmes and Knight to all have drops in form at some point so he’s still an important cog. 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Bielek Bird

Holmes Rooney Knight

I agree with this Ilson, proper protection for the defence with either Bird or Bielik also able to support the attacks & the energy and craft ahead of them with H,R & K.

Just need Marriott to get his confidence back in front of goal & we have the proper balance at last

Plus Rooney spoke after the match of wanting the full backs to get forward more for him to pick them out

After a season of potentially going down the toilet my enthusiasm and hope has been restored

Just to add few things I've noticed and which haven't been mentioned about Bird yet: 

1) His body position is almost always positive going forward, which is something our other defensive minded midfielders don't have (not even Thorne had it that good).

2) At the same time he covers the ball to his left foot well when needed. Eventhough it narrows the options where to pass, that's a very good sign as he won't loose the ball too often. Or at least he won't if the pressure is coming in front of him.

3) IMO his biggest strenght in passing is the way he hides the direction of the pass. Also, usually he moves it relatively quickly which is showing good tehnique. Of course, this is often linked to positive body position as well as he is  actually capable of doing it. 

So overall, agreeing with the rest of you. Excited how he developes from the standard which is already high.

The emergence of max bird has come a little bit out of the blue.

last season he was subbed after 45 mins in the home cup game v Southampton, and looked a bit lost. This season he suddenly looks the real deal. 
I do wonder whether two holding players is just fudging the decision as to who to pick in that role, (and it robs the team of a winger). 

Right now, he has won the shirt.
Ahead of huddlestone, bielik, and evans for me. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The emergence of max bird has come a little bit out of the blue.

last season he was subbed after 45 mins in the home cup game v Southampton, and looked a bit lost. This season he suddenly looks the real deal. 
I do wonder whether two holding players is just fudging the decision as to who to pick in that role, (and it robs the team of a winger). 

Right now, he has won the shirt.
Ahead of huddlestone, bielik, and evans for me. 

Agree. For me, and i know it was only Barnsley, but it was the most assured performance of any holding midfielder so far this season.

Class.

Archived