Max Bird.

Rev

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I know it is a massive judgement after one game but reminded me of a young Carrick. 

I remember vaguely really rating Carrick at west ham,  but was he ever as forward thinking as our Max?

I do realise that he went on to have a good career but didn't quite reach the level of great so hoping young max can reach and ultimately surpass those levels ?

Every game I saw Max play for the youth team he looked a step above. His first team games that I had seen he looked like he wasn't ready, a little light weight. Last night showed he was ready for the first team, he looked as good as his games for the youth teams. 

Well done Max. 

He looked more comfortable in the presence of the other young players.

he has seemed slightly over-awed and awkward in the presence of the senior pros at other times. 

He's a classy player and excellent when the play is in front of him he has options around him, a calm head, passing is usually spot on, chooses the right type of pass, and usually executes it perfectly.

He can get about the pitch well enough so he'll contribute to attacks, and as we saw with the assist he has the vision and awareness to pick out the best option. His character is exactly what you want from a pro footballer, everyone in the academy set up seems to love him as a person and as a player, and as a captain.

The only question that remains is whether he can do the defensive and physical side of things in this league. His positioning is very good so he'll make lots of  interceptions, but can he tackle,  can he track the runners in behind, or does he need someone to do that side of the game for him? (Like Huddlestone when he was at Spurs and had Palacios doing the dirty work and a lot the running, but Bird is more mobile than Huddlestone ever was..)

There are sterner tests to come than Charlton at home, Barnsley will be a tougher task (I assume, given their recent form) but it's another game which will hopefully suit him, especially if he has Rooney alongside him. 

I've had my doubts in this respect but then a bit like Lowe last season he's only really previously been thrown into the first team picture in games which don't suit him, so he hasn't had a proper run at it. A run of games and the confidence that comes with it is vital,.and presumably he's got the next 3 with Bielik out.

He deserves to have a good career, I'm confident he will have a good career, it's just not clear quite yet what level that will be at. Hopefully it's Championship and above, and hopefully with us.

50 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

That would be for a complete player though Coconut. I would ask you can Hendrick do those things? Can Hughes? I'm not so sure yet they are both in the premiership 

Absolutely but it's based on the role of DM so he needs to be at least proficient at both, but it doesn't mean you can't be better at one than the other.

Hughes was very good at tracking back and tackling, and yes he was a more complete player. Hendrick's strengths lie in different areas and he wasn't ever played as a DM. 

He was excellent 

as a defensive midfielder myself Iv always viewed it (with bias lol) as an art 

Reading situations before they happen, breaking up play, finding pockets of space in that hole between ur back line, their forward press and their midfield to receive the ball and be the catalyst for starting attacking movements 

so it’s a position Iv always watched closely.

obvously mac 1 George Thorne was literally that positions golden boy... just did everything so well with time to spare.

eustace in a much different type of way did the job beautifully too by experience and his Brain

its interesting as there’s so many ways it can be played

thorne was the complete package, eutace slow but wise and physical, Barry bannan, technical craft and intelligence, marlon pack energy and graft 

i would love to see bird develop into this role I think he’s more an Omar mascarel atm, technical ability, more mobile than a eustace or a Thorne but without the power and strength of them.

obviously positional play comes with time but he looked pretty assured in that respect the other night

hes only young so am desperately hoping they get him on the steaks and in the gym and I see no reason why he couldn’t be part of that midfield ongoing 

13 hours ago, Coconut said:

Absolutely but it's based on the role of DM so he needs to be at least proficient at both, but it doesn't mean you can't be better at one than the other.

Hughes was very good at tracking back and tackling, and yes he was a more complete player. Hendrick's strengths lie in different areas and he wasn't ever played as a DM. 

Yes but why assume he is a CDM? At his age he needs to work on being as complete a midfielder as he can be. The precise role he ends up playing will depend on how the team is set up. You don’t always need a CDM if you have players who can do a bit of everything

PS they had several goes at playing Hendrick at CDM and it didn’t work. They also tried Hughes there as well - maybe as a deep lying playmaker same as Mascarell rather than a DM - and that didn’t work either

19 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I remember vaguely really rating Carrick at west ham,  but was he ever as forward thinking as our Max?

I do realise that he went on to have a good career but didn't quite reach the level of great so hoping young max can reach and ultimately surpass those levels ?

Carrick was a mainstay in probably one of the best sides the premier league has ever seen...

Top OP ?

It's great to see some of the wealth of young talent we have coming to the fore. I've always got my rose tinted glasses on but I'm madly excited about the next few seasons. We've all seen glimpses of what Max, Morgan, Louis and Jason can do but there are a host of other lads who we may not see this season but look like great prospects for the not too distant future too. 

For me, this is another reason I hope Cocu survives the cut. I'm pretty sure he will. I doubt there are many better than him at integrating young players into first team football and this might be critical to us finishing the season rather more strongly than we've started it.

A last thought is that Darren Wassall must take a deal of the credit for the development of these young lads. The success of the youth set-up is a credit to him and the other youth coaches. A doff of the cap too to Mel who has ploughed a ton of cash into the academy making it one of the best in the country in the process. I think we are now beginning to see some tangible benefits from his investment and I for one am immensely grateful for his continued willingness to invest in the club's future.

COYR

Very impressed by him against Charlton, but I still can't figure out what type of midfielder he is.

He keeps playing defensive midfield but he doesn't seem strong in the tackle enough for that role. Is he more like a deep-lying playmaker?

Can someone who has seen a lot of him let me know what kind of role he suits? Just trying to figure it out. Or maybe @cannable could explain it as he's normally good with these sorts of things.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Whilst he did play well and I have high hopes for him, Charlton never really closed him down or pressured him. He will find it tougher tomorrow.

I would agree. I had been distinctly underwhelmed by what I had seen before Charlton. Let’s see how he does after a run of games against tougher opposition before we start comparing him to a top player like Carrick.

Archived