Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players out of contract this season include:

Dowell Pato Clarke Hamer (end of loans)

Martin

Hudds

Fozzy

Bennett

Davies

Anya

Out of them. I'd only keep Forsyth, maybe Martin.

Thats a total of EIGHT players leaving at the end of the season (if we keep foz and martin).

So you're right we can't get rid of them all but we can get rid of most.

Bring in new personnel that Cocu has chosen and then lets see what can happen.

Also referring to your point about Marriott, I agree. Don''t get me wrong I love Marriott to bits but if we can't get the best out of him sell him on now before his value deteriorates more.

5 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

not been over impressed with Cocu at the moment and really not with the team either, but he must be given time and with tranfer day coming lets see what comes in and any improvement by the end of season.... then ??? 

I think Jan 2021 would be when I'd consider his position 

29 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Call me cynical, but team meetings where players actively say what's on their mind, whether it's "good or bad", is normally not a good sign, right?

Could be a way of seeing who has the desired character? Maybe Rooney being the link player suggested it? Maybe we have no idea. We have a lot of game s coming up, perhaps a way of getting everyone on the same page before the madness consumes.

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

I think for a short term fix a keeper cb and winger, 2 on loan 1 permanent in jan.

Then get rid of the deadwood in the summer and rebuild.

and my trash list:

Roos

Bennett

Flo

Marriott (based on form)

Dowell

Pato

Anya

Curtis Davies isn't that good anymore either.

Paterson, Evans and controversially Martin would be on there for me.

43 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Call me cynical, but team meetings where players actively say what's on their mind, whether it's "good or bad", is normally not a good sign, right?

In any line of business I would expect a good manager to be prepared to listen to what those in his employ have to say, good or bad.

If any manager believes they are 100% right all of the time I would suggest that is more of a problem.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

In any line of business I would expect a good manager to be prepared to listen to what those in his employ have to say, good or bad.

If any manager believes they are 100% right all of the time I would suggest that is more of a problem.

Let's hope someone stepped up and questioned why we play such boring and negative football.

I think these things happen more than we are made aware of. But i find it interesting that we have been made aware. For me it shows that Cocu recognises a proportion of the fan base arnt happy with what they've seen and he wants to be seen to rectify it. But also that this season wasn't meant to be a write off with trialling players and formations like some posters have suggested. He's clearly feeling some pressure otherwise i don't think this would be so public. 

25 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Football management not quit the same though ,, from rosenior being brought in to Rooney brought in in coaching role now having this meeting and making it very public and how he comes across in interviews I’m getting concerned that Phil might not have the personality to turn Derby round ,,, i really hope I’m wrong and am very much cocu in but got nagging doubts

he may be a mr baraclough 

That team meeting goes one of two ways for me. Either Cocu miraculously decides to adapt his approach to become more attacking and we’re all happy, or player power wins over and he’s a dead man walking. Managers are notoriously stubborn, so my money would be on the latter. That said, Cocu has pissed about with his tactics enough that maybe he is the sort of man to change his approach. With two home games coming up, where we really should be taking the game to the opposition, I think all will become clear.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That said, Cocu has pissed about with his tactics enough that maybe he is the sort of man to change his approach. With two home games coming up, where we really should be taking the game to the opposition, I think all will become clear.

I seem to remember something being said about his stubbornness, but that he had been persuaded to change his ways second year in at PSV (or am I misremembering?). 

On 08/12/2019 at 14:25, Ramarena said:

We always talk about missing the three loans, this won’t be popular but needs to be said as he’s actually a big miss! 

We definitely miss Bradley Johnson, yes he was agricultural and was technically poor at times but he brought aggression, drive, experience and motivation to our midfield, all qualities that are crucial to success in this division!

The only players that can offer us this are Beilik but he’s been up and down which is to be expected as he still a youngster really and Shinnie who’s either been out of favour or injured most of the season.

There were times last season when Bradley Johnson was running the show. A little spell around the United game and then around the Wigan game. 

Just have a think about this ...Mel Morris brought Cocu in saying he wanted continuity in how we played and promoting youth so does anyone think in the talks between MM and PC prior to appointing him that perhaps Mel asked Phil what sort of football he’d like to see and can we possibly get somewhere near playing  the Derby way” as MM has described it which I generally believe to be when Mac1 was here with Cloughs players ...I don’t think Mel said I want a negative crap dour bore everyone to death type of football so guess what ...I believe like one poster suggested on here that the PNE game was how he’d like us to play not the dross we’ve had to put up with away from home A lot of fans on here were impressed with how we played against PNE especially in the first half and for me it was the best 45 that we’ve played even PNE fans commented on how good we were 

The away performances have been dire and although I agree with some on here saying a more attack minded line up or formation might help I just don’t see that this group are anywhere near good enough ...I will no doubt be lambasted for this but after watching this season I’m convinced that nearly all of this squad is not good enough not quick enough and don’t have enough desire for a fight but are ok when the going is good ...this squad needs a major overhaul and as much as that sounds easy it is not ...in “football manager” you can drop the whole team and put the youth team in but unlike the real thing it won’t give you the reaction that Cocu would get for that in reality ...he has to pick a team every week and I believe he’d not select most of them if he had a chance but he has no option ...if he was to say to all those who are deemed not good enough that they’re not in his plans he’d have mutiny I can imagine ...the transfer window doesn’t let you chop and change when you want and I think this first few months have been hell for Cocu ...give him time to sort this out but as long as we stay up I’m sure we’ll see a much better side after the summer ...

everyone rates Bogle and Holmes for example but they are very mediocre players and Bogle for example needs to learn how to defend first and foremost...he needs to be left out for a while and maybe he’ll get better but he is part of the reason we have conceded so many goals this season with a 34 year old CB a LB playing at CB and we don’t have a settled LB ...not to mention we don’t have any decent keepers ...this may all sound harsh but in reality it’s true ...if you write down our squad and look at each player individually ...they wouldn’t get in most top six sides 

There will be members on here who will slag me for my comments but we need a mass clear out ...take Keogh Wilson Mount Temori Carson Johnson and Bryson even Nugent ( who played much more than most fans thought he should ) out and we look what we are ...very weak! 
give him time and judge him this time next season 

I am not a betting man, but if I were I could confidently place a decent wager that Cocu will not see out his four yr contract. At present he has very little to work with, and to suggest that the answer is in the academy is rather fanciful. For the majority, if not all his career, Cocu has been working with intelligent players who are comfortable on the ball. It would take more than four years to instil this culture into the DCFC academy, with a view to feeding players into the first team. I expect Cocu will still be at DCFC for the rest of this season. Beyond that it's not inconceivable that he could be tempted with an offer from club in Europe.  

I voted in. Although in no way convinced by his woeful start at the club. 

Very concerned about the style of play he seems to want but will give him the January and summer window to change the way we play to actually provide some entertainment. Not the dross he seems happy with. 

If it doesn't change I will pay his airfare. 

3 hours ago, S8TY said:

everyone rates Bogle and Holmes for example but they are very mediocre players and Bogle for example needs to learn how to defend first and foremost...he needs to be left out for a while and maybe he’ll get better but he is part of the reason we have conceded so many goals this season

Cannot get behind the Bogle criticism, at all. Bogle is not mediocre. Look at his assists under Lampard. He's, in my opinion, the best right back in the Championship and has huge potential to be a high level Premier League player too. To say he needs to be left out a while, I couldn't disagree more. Not only is he very young, but he's also the best defender we have currently. You defend as a team, you can point to any player and make a claim they're part of the reason we have conceded goals, that's the nature of defending as a team.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Cannot get behind the Bogle criticism, at all. Bogle is not mediocre. Look at his assists under Lampard. He's, in my opinion, the best right back in the Championship and has huge potential to be a high level Premier League player too. To say he needs to be left out a while, I couldn't disagree more. Not only is he very young, but he's also the best defender we have currently. You defend as a team, you can point to any player and make a claim they're part of the reason we have conceded goals, that's the nature of defending as a team.

His defensive qualities is where he lets himself down..( at the moment ) thats not to say he can't get better at it....look at villas first goal at wembley , charlton's first at valley this season  , Forest away last season where he scoops one into the air in his own box for Forest to score , this season another mistake against Forest which cost us the game  and they're are many more...he gets caught out time and time again ...it doesn't always cost us but  is definitely not one of our better defenders...he is young yes but needs to learn to defend better as that is his priority...we have looked better defensively since he's been moved out of RB but with that we lose what he is good at which is overlapping/attacking

Archived