Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

82% is a really strong majority, given the start to the season we've had.

My faith in this fanbase has been somewhat restored ??

Yeah me too.

Surprised aswell.... Just shows.... silent majority, vocal minority and all that.

Having created the poll, many thanks to everyone - from both sides - for their votes and for their reasoned arguments.

COYR ?

22 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I voted out. I really like the guy, and it would be a terrible idea to get rid of him, but I'm just a bit bored and feel like a bit of a shake up ?‍♂️

Wow, bored after less than half a season?????????

So the next guy gets the same time? then what? get rid of him because you are bored?

Brilliant.

15 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

These players aren't bad, if we set up to play on the front foot, press high, counter attack at pace, the players would do it. 

They are playing Coco's way, maybe the players don't suit his style, but the best Managers can adapt, play a way that suits THIS team until you have the players to play in HIS own system.

Completely agree 

It feels as if the wheels are coming loose and the mood has gone from super-positive to widespread misgivings. 

Everyone seems to have different ideas about what is wrong. Some think we need a total rebuild. Some think he should give youth a chance. Some think he should pick a team and stick with it. Some think he shoulld just be given more time, or that Rooney will be the magic wand. 

We certainly need to see a significant and sustained improvement.  

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

It feels as if the wheels are coming loose and the mood has gone from super-positive to widespread misgivings. 

Everyone seems to have different ideas about what is wrong. Some think we need a total rebuild. Some think he should give youth a chance. Some think he should pick a team and stick with it. Some think he shoulld just be given more time, or that Rooney will be the magic wand. 

We certainly need to see a significant and sustained improvement.  

Kind of emphasises what a difficult position he is in, when the people who can make his life harder with their criticism are so conflicted on the best course of action

7 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Screenshot 2019-12-10 at 10.09.00.png

People have short memories over how bad last season performances were at times. I think it is startling how differently last season would be viewed if Roos hadn’t had a stormer away at Bristol City. The good succeeding performances inc. Leeds away are thus the most recent recollections of that season.

Bolton, Blackburn, Ipswich, Rotherham, Leeds, Millwall were all utterly horrendous and no different to this year

Just now, nottingram said:

People have short memories over how bad last season performances were at times. I think it is startling how differently last season would be viewed if Roos hadn’t had a stormer away at Bristol City. The good succeeding performances inc. Leeds away are thus the most recent recollections of that season.

Bolton, Blackburn, Ipswich, Rotherham, Leeds, Millwall were all utterly horrendous and no different to this year

Which just shows what an easy division it could be if we had any consistency.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think many of the 'Cocu in' voters perhaps don't believe that he can be as average and negative as we've been seeing over a longer period with his own signings. January will be interesting.

Agree it will be interesting, and confidence can be built or lost with it - but equally January's such a weird window so often I couldn't go into it thinking it's make-or-break, so even if we don't improve much I'll still want him to have the summer.

On top of lots of teams struggling to get the players they want in January (or at least, for fair value, lots of panicking); it's also historically a very difficult month in which to get rid of the players you don't want. 

That being said, if we're all wetting ourselves with excitement over the players we bring in and we spend a boat load of cash there would need to be improvement, obviously. I just think that sort of business is unlikely.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which just shows what an easy division it could be if we had any consistency.

There are only two consistently good teams in this division.

An incredibly well funded WBA (who we made look very very poor) who also have a great manager and Leeds who somehow persuaded one of the greatest coaches of their generation come and manage them.

Consistency is not an easy thing to stumble upon

45 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Kind of emphasises what a difficult position he is in, when the people who can make his life harder with their criticism are so conflicted on the best course of action

I know it's not real life, but I recently updated FM19 with this season's squad, and started pre-season with £2m to spend, Davis, Forsyth, Martin, Holmes, Wisdom, Anya & Zoon all injured, none of the U23's good enough to be starters, and I couldn't cancel any of the loans.  I struggled to win easy friendlies...  Once you sit there for an hour or so and look at the situation, you realise how difficult Cocu's task has been.  And that's without Beergate, and all the fallout from that.

13 hours ago, europia said:

I am not a betting man, but if I were I could confidently place a decent wager that Cocu will not see out his four yr contract. At present he has very little to work with, and to suggest that the answer is in the academy is rather fanciful. For the majority, if not all his career, Cocu has been working with intelligent players who are comfortable on the ball. It would take more than four years to instil this culture into the DCFC academy, with a view to feeding players into the first team. I expect Cocu will still be at DCFC for the rest of this season. Beyond that it's not inconceivable that he could be tempted with an offer from club in Europe.  

I have wondered if this is a big part of the issue - Cocu assuming (wrongly) that EFL players are at a different level of intelligence and hence that all he needs to do is a few quiet words, a bit of philosophy and the movement, patterns etc sort themselves out. Moreover, players do not need cajoling to reach the required fitness levels and to practice the basics repeatedly - it will just happen as a natural part of their job.

It was reported when the rumours were around that he was about to join, how much the players were looking forward to working with him. If that was true, then what has caused the slump in body language and performances, culminating in a "truth and reconciliation" session? Is it as simple as they just don't get it?

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Best response ever.

The problem with that is that it's not been the case so far. I reckon I've seen about the same number of live games with sides managed by Colin and Cocu. Generally,  Colin's teams have been more attacking than Cocu's. I've never watched a half where one of his sides hasn't even had a shot. 

Maybe things will improve, but playing good football is not one of the positives of Cocu so far. 

Archived