Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

These are fair comments.

But my response to that would be if Cocu continues to tinker with the team, how are we supposed to take advantage of this favourable run of fixtures?

Yes, we could improve over the next 10 games and shoot up the table and everyone’s misgivings could be unfounded.

However does that seem likely when there is so much confusion with the direction Cocu is going in?

How are we supposed to perform consistently? No one knows if they are going to be in the side and where they’ll be playing.

Maybe we just need a new manager to come in with clear and simple ideas? To come in, play players in their natural positions and play a settled eleven, a settled formation, and a style of play that everyone - players included - can get behind? The recent team meeting would suggest that even the players can see Cocu’s ideas might be unsuitable for the circumstances.

The injuries have not helped, but Cocu is also making on average several changes a game that are not down to injuries, which suggest that he is still figuring the team out.

That has to be more than a little concerning in December, surely?

The problem we currently face goes back to the end of Mac1. Our squad was primed, ready to the be added to. We changed direct with Clement and we splashed the cash to amass a lot of players and none the better for it. The same process with Pearson. And then Rowett, new direction again. Each new manager, each time the squad became more confused and in most cases weaker.

Lampard added to the squad with mid-championship standard players. But loans were the stars.

To be blunt. There are no stars in this squad, every previous manager has had that luxury. We have always had at least one player you might be expect a prem team to take a punt on. Not now and even in good form I don't see that changing. When you consider what we have spent since Mac1 that is an awful place to be in.

I agree he is making too many changes but I fail see what he has done with what he has that is even close to bad enough to consider sacking and throwing the whole club into upheaval yet again.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of people are have misconceptions about Cocu's managerial style at PSV. I think his reputation as being somewhat conservative and defensive gives people the wrong idea that he set them up not to attack at all and to just nick a goal on the break or off a set piece, when that wasn't the case. Don't get me wrong, he put great importance on keeping shape and being strong out of possession, but at PSV his sides scored more goals over his 5 years there than any other team in the league did over the same period (395 goals over 170 games, 2.3 goals per game) and averaged more shots per game over that period than any other side (an average of 18.3 shots per game). He also almost exclusively used a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in his time there.

If you want to watch a full PSV game from Cocu's time there, the Eredivisie archive has their game against Heerenveen that won them the league in 2015:

That style of play would be one I would be very happy to see replicated here, and looks a lot more like the games against Preston, Middlesbrough or Huddersfield than the Blackburn game, for example.

On 08/12/2019 at 17:30, IslandExile said:

@OwenB87 I know you have to tow the company line ? but try and sneak into an interview with Cocu the question:

"Is every team and formation you're currently selecting aimed at getting maximum points - or - are you partly experimenting with next season in mind?".

Apologies for the cheek of me asking you to do this. If it's out of order, please forgive me and get Gibbo to ask ?

Oh @OwenB87 when you were asking Cocu about the process of team selection and whether he was still learning about the players, I thought you were setting it up to ask him whether he is partly experimenting for next season BUT you ducked out at the last minute.

Did you used to ring door bells and run off as a kid? ?

Only joking, it was a good interview and you did extract some insight into the way he is thinking. Thanks. ? ?

3 hours ago, JfR said:

I think a lot of people are have misconceptions about Cocu's managerial style at PSV. I think his reputation as being somewhat conservative and defensive gives people the wrong idea that he set them up not to attack at all and to just nick a goal on the break or off a set piece, when that wasn't the case. Don't get me wrong, he put great importance on keeping shape and being strong out of possession, but at PSV his sides scored more goals over his 5 years there than any other team in the league did over the same period (395 goals over 170 games, 2.3 goals per game) and averaged more shots per game over that period than any other side (an average of 18.3 shots per game). He also almost exclusively used a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in his time there.

If you want to watch a full PSV game from Cocu's time there, the Eredivisie archive has their game against Heerenveen that won them the league in 2015:

That style of play would be one I would be very happy to see replicated here, and looks a lot more like the games against Preston, Middlesbrough or Huddersfield than the Blackburn game, for example.

Doesn't count, they're at home!

Cocu hasn't got a clue, 21 games and we are chopping and changing every game. Surely almost half way through the season you have worked out a formation and style of play. But no, we turn up and havn't got a clue as everything is likely to change from the previous match, this season is a complete waste of time.

1 hour ago, Rolleston said:

Cocu hasn't got a clue, 21 games and we are chopping and changing every game. Surely almost half way through the season you have worked out a formation and style of play. But no, we turn up and havn't got a clue as everything is likely to change from the previous match, this season is a complete waste of time.

But it might not be if he's using it to learn about the Championship and what players he needs to get in to the squad to get us up next year.

29 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

I'm back nah mi owd... had a chest infection and mi and hilda fell out cause she wont rub vicks on mi chest whilst she wa naked ... 

Have you invited Cocu round for a pigeon pie yet?

2 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Out, not a clue.

Please god ,how can anybody make a judgement on whether cocu is any good or not ? We DO NOT have a team with any quality, there is no one to pick from and then you add the fact that they do not work hard enough to make up for the lack of talent and we are up shat creek without a Wilson 

Just now, Archied said:

Please god ,how can anybody make a judgement on whether cocu is any good or not ? We DO NOT have a team with any quality, there is no one to pick from and then you add the fact that they do not work hard enough to make up for the lack of talent and we are up shat creek without a Wilson 

Sibley the best answer!

Surely very few people want us to change manager again.

And the fans understand that we have been unlucky with injuries and off field issues

But what Cocu can control is the attitude of the players, how to create a positive culture, how to get the best of the players he has at his disposal and to play a system that suits the players and one that is simple and easy for them to understand. These things should all be a given for any manager, irrespective of how the results go or which players are playing or a whatever standard of football you are playing.

Trouble is, none of these are happening under Cocu. And yet they are basics.

And if we go into the new year in a relegation battle, Mel is going to be forced into a big decision sooner rather than later. 

Archived