Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Nope. Cocu picks the team (most people hate Dowell and would play Knight but Cocu doesn’t), Cocu decides the formation and tactics and Cocu decides when to make a change for impacting a game. All of the above he is doing poorly at, not Rowett, COCU.

Hate? Really? Let's try and retain a sense of perspective here.

And another thing, picking a football team is not a democratic process.

'In' for me. I'm sick of the managerial merry-go-round and dont want to jump back on it without good reason.

For me, this season shows just how much we relied upon the quality of Mount, Wilson and Tomori and how they made a bang average squad look very good. Pull out all the cliches, but it is a transitional season with a change of 'philosophy' being implemented. A change of playing personnel is definitely required but that and Cocu himself need time.

He seems to be an intelligent man and I like how he speaks about his plans for the club and how we 'should' be playing. He knows more about and has more experience of the game than all of us. That being said, I would lke to see a bit more emotion and passion from Cocu on the touchline - not on the level of starting the 'bounce' but just a higher level of passion and emotion.

4 minutes ago, RamontheMoor said:

'In' for me. I'm sick of the managerial merry-go-round and dont want to jump back on it without good reason.

For me, this season shows just how much we relied upon the quality of Mount, Wilson and Tomori and how they made a bang average squad look very good. Pull out all the cliches, but it is a transitional season with a change of 'philosophy' being implemented. A change of playing personnel is definitely required but that and Cocu himself need time.

He seems to be an intelligent man and I like how he speaks about his plans for the club and how we 'should' be playing. He knows more about and has more experience of the game than all of us. That being said, I would lke to see a bit more emotion and passion from Cocu on the touchline - not on the level of starting the 'bounce' but just a higher level of passion and emotion.

I just don't think he's that kind of character.  And I doubt he gives two f___s about what fans think of him, he just wants to win football matches.

I'm saying IN.  I don't think any supporter of average intelligence or higher really thought he'd have us punching amongst the top 6 consistently this season.  Take last year's team, remove 30 odd goals and paciest defender, minus our captain and best defender for being a moron, then take away a number of good squad players through niggly/long term injuries, and only give him 5 weeks and 4 friendlies against poor opposition to figure out how to make to work cohesively, I'd say he's about on par at the moment.  Anyone who reckons we should be in a play off position are probably the same load of gammons who constantly scream "GET IT FORWARD!" at every home game, no matter where the ball is.

One thing I'm keen on is the constant formation changes.  I know it's to (in theory) counter the opposition's strengths, but it involves sticking square pegs in round holes a lot of the time.  That approach can work in Holland due to players being developed to be just as comfortable playing left back or striker, but as we've seen during past seasons, we don't have the personnel for it.  Fingers crossed he plumps for one he wants to implement before the new year and goes out and begins to get the players to fit his vision, or give more of the U23s a run of games.

So when I was asked at the pub by a few mates over the weekend ‘what’s up with Derby at the minute?’ I pretty much responded by saying we are in an inconsistent run we’ve probably been due since the Pearson/Mac/Rowett season.

In the immediate future we lack a Wilson, Vydra or Ince that we’ve had to rely on to maybe pop up with a goal that makes defeats into draws and draws into wins. But the reality is that although we’ve had competitive seasons under Rowett and Lampard, they papered over the cracks rather than dealing with the long term issues.

Now in fairness to Cocu, he essentially came to the club quite late and with that decided to mostly stick with what he had and have a proper look at what he has available to him. To some this was probably a godsend and have got themselves back into contention short term, although with this in mind the simple reality is that no player can say that they haven’t been given a chance under Cocu and quite a few have fallen on their own swords as well.

I think Cocu has learnt a lot about his players in the last month, more than what he did between August-October anyway, in who he can work with and who isn’t going to fit his plans. It’s been frustrating for fans and it’s crucial for the club that we get through it without too much damage but it is a necessary process to clear the playing staff of players we don’t need (whether they are fan favourites or not).

Simply we’ve been due a season like this for a little while now. Rowett needed to do the clear out but sent everyone out on loan and then spent a load of money, Lampard was kinda similar although slightly more successful, but essentially neither of them addressed the issue. Cocu is doing that but it’s not a simple process and as fans we do need to scrutinise but also see the bigger picture 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Just seen the latest report about player meeting ,,,,,,,, he’s a dead man walking

Don't call it a player meeting - that implies it was one of those meetings the players have without the staff.

The first team have meetings all the time; Cocu's just told us about this one because he was happy with how it went.

We look lost as a team. Absolutely lost. 

I keep seeing comments 'you can't expect much with this team', 'it's not Cocu's fault, he's been unlucky'. What a load of rubbish.

He's setting the teams up so negatively, trying to control the game in our own half resulting in 0 shots in target. Where's the excitement gone!? Why not go and have a go away from home? 

These players aren't bad, if we set up to play on the front foot, press high, counter attack at pace, the players would do it. 

They are playing Coco's way, maybe the players don't suit his style, but the best Managers can adapt, play a way that suits THIS team until you have the players to play in HIS own system.

This is the most frustrating Derby team I've ever watched. I think Coco is way out of his depth. 

Just now, JoeDerby said:

We look lost as a team. Absolutely lost. 

I keep seeing comments 'you can't expect much with this team', 'it's not Cocu's fault, he's been unlucky'. What a load of rubbish.

He's setting the teams up so negatively, trying to control the game in our own half resulting in 0 shots in target. Where's the excitement gone!? Why not go and have a go away from home? 

These players aren't bad, if we set up to play on the front foot, press high, counter attack at pace, the players would do it. 

They are playing Coco's way, maybe the players don't suit his style, but the best Managers can adapt, play a way that suits THIS team until you have the players to play in HIS own system.

This is the most frustrating Derby team I've ever watched. I think Coco is way out of his depth. 

we need an overhaul of the players mate. have plenty out with injuries and plenty that are trash.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

we need an overhaul of the players mate. have plenty out with injuries and plenty that are trash.

Do we though? Who's the trash? I think we have a strong squad. We need 3 additions in my opinion.

A keeper, centre back and a Winger.

It's an in from me too. I love the "too many sheep not enough Rams" comment. 

I do think the progress is slow and the constant formation and tactics changes are quite frustrating but I like the ideology of bringing the kids thru and if we can bring in a couple of players in, that and Rooney should just about keep our heads above water for this season. Next season I think we will be much better. 

Just now, JoeDerby said:

Do we though? Who's the trash? I think we have a strong squad. We need 3 additions in my opinion.

A keeper, centre back and a Winger.

I think for a short term fix a keeper cb and winger, 2 on loan 1 permanent in jan.

Then get rid of the deadwood in the summer and rebuild.

and my trash list:

Roos

Bennett

Flo

Marriott (based on form)

Dowell

Pato

Anya

Curtis Davies isn't that good anymore either.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

I think for a short term fix a keeper cb and winger, 2 on loan 1 permanent in jan.

Then get rid of the deadwood in the summer and rebuild.

and my trash list:

Roos

Bennett

Flo

Marriott (based on form)

Dowell

Pato

Anya

Curtis Davies isn't that good anymore either.

The thing is you can't get rid of all of them and have no fringe players. I'd keep Bennett and Flo. I think we would be crazy to get rid of Marriott although I think he doesn't fit the way we want to play, even under Lampard. He needs to be in a traditional 4-4-2, very one dimensional. 

Archived