Matt Clarke Injury

Day

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the game the Yates foul didn’t look like a red. There was no clamour for a red from fans/players. The Bogle and Lawrence challenges at the game looked bad and on the Sky highlights looked bad. Sky (conveniently) didn’t show the Yates one.

If we are talking consistency - shouldn’t our two have been sent off as well or should Yates have just been a yellow?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

At the game the Yates foul didn’t look like a red. There was no clamour for a red from fans/players. The Bogle and Lawrence challenges at the game looked bad and on the Sky highlights looked bad. Sky (conveniently) didn’t show the Yates one.

If we are talking consistency - shouldn’t our two have been sent off as well or should Yates have just been a yellow?

The TL foul came from him being fouled twice in the same move before his foul (which I agree could’ve been red)

JB foul was a yellow the ref was correct on this occasion. 

Yates foul on MC he wasn’t even carded for despite both feet being off the floor (certainly a yellow at least) then there was an off the ball incident with Holmes and then he kicked the ball at TL lying on the floor from very close range when he had just been fouled. Yates should’ve seen red through his constant petty fouls etc. 

You will get stuff like this in a local Derby .  Yes, it was a borderline red, he got away with it as it was early .  If someone had stuck one on him in retaliation within a couple of minutes they would have got away with a ticking off or a yellow as well. They didn't.  We could do with a bit more Musketeer spirit.

Wow.

Proper one sided thoughts here. Does the fact that Lawrence was fouled make his potentially career ending challenge ok?

Yellow should be given for the challenge on Clarke but have any of you TV refs actually ever reffed a game?

It's really really easy. Honest.

I'm a ref and it's kin hard let me tell thee.

Easy to yawp from the stand or your settee. Not so easy to be on the pitch and make a decision in real time.

8 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Wow.

Proper one sided thoughts here. Does the fact that Lawrence was fouled make his potentially career ending challenge ok?

Yellow should be given for the challenge on Clarke but have any of you TV refs actually ever reffed a game?

Easy to yawp from the stand or your settee. Not so easy to be on the pitch and make a decision in real time.

I must say I thought the ref had a pretty decent game.

Kept calm and made allowances for the passion of a local Derby.

Clarke seemed to twist awkwardly as he went down. Lawrence’s was a spiteful lunge after avoiding a couple of swipes himself. I suspect the cruel chanting got to him too.

We lost because we made a mistake which was punished not because of the ref.

@CornwallRam @G STAR RAM

On reflection this morning I think the Lawrence challenge is worse than I first thought (had a few drinks yesterday and thought he caught him on the back of the leg). But I do think the slow mo makes it look worse as he appears to be later than he actually is, thankfully the forest players foot wasn’t caught in the ground.

Each challenge from Bogle, Yates and Lawrence are hard to call, I wouldn’t necessarily say there’s a loss of control in any the challenges and the ball is there to be won. I still go with the thought if Yates is booked then I think that’s fair enough and we move on.

Essentially I think we are saying that each challenge should have had the same punishment? It just depends how far you want to take it, personally I’d rather you can finish games 11vs11 where possible. 

Anyway, gutting for Clarke if he is out for a period of time because he’s looking a lot more settled recently. Although I’ll wait to see what the club say, not sure if Conway sometimes gets a bit overexcited when he thinks he’s got a scoop at the minute 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

We lost because we made a mistake which was punished not because of the ref.

And the penalty claim for handball he ignored (as did Sky after replaying it once) and the dive he never booked. The persistent fouling by Yates.

He had a very ordinary game, where he set an early 'standard' (ignoring a bad challenge on Clarke) and then went on to ignore his 'standard'.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

@CornwallRam @G STAR RAM

On reflection this morning I think the Lawrence challenge is worse than I first thought (had a few drinks yesterday and thought he caught him on the back of the leg). But I do think the slow mo makes it look worse as he appears to be later than he actually is, thankfully the forest players foot wasn’t caught in the ground.

It's difficult to see how much force there was on contact, but it seemed Lawrence ends the challenge pulling his foot back and away from the other players leg (although I've not seen it this morning).

I don't think there was any malice intended by Lawrence (there never is, he's just rubbish at tackling), but he goes in studs up so it's a red. 

If the shirts were swapped around we would all be rightfully calling that as a red card.

I haven't seen the one by Yates but the consensus I've read seem to be that that was also a dismissal.

Just now, LittleEatonRam said:

I don't think there was any malice intended by Lawrence (there never is, he's just rubbish at tackling), but he goes in studs up so it's a red. 

If the shirts were swapped around we would all be rightfully calling that as a red card.

I haven't seen the one by Yates but the consensus I've read seem to be that that was also a dismissal.

Agree about Lawrence, no malice but still a red. In mitigation, he was travelling at speed and had been twice fouled. I think the correct decision would have been a direct free kick to us, but Lawrence getting sent off.

The Yates one was far worse. It was a nasty, thuggish tackle. It looked intentional to me and has probably ended Clarke's season. When you think what getting injured did to George Thorne - turned him from the best player in the league with a probable England future, to a player who will likely drift out of the game when his contract expires, it's hard to believe that Yates didn't even get a yellow.

12 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Wow.

Haven't reffed but run the line a while back for my sons Sunday morning team....agreed, it is very difficult....

12 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Wow.

I have reffed for over ten years  if the official had a better view of both incidents or var had been in use, both would have been straight reds.

The tackle on Clarke was two footed square on and out of control and Lawrence was a lunge and with force due to the speed he was travelling.

It amazes me when I sit at a match how many supporters have no idea about even the basic rules of the game.

20 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

I have reffed for over ten years  if the official had a better view of both incidents or var had been in use, both would have been straight reds.

The tackle on Clarke was two footed square on and out of control and Lawrence was a lunge and with force due to the speed he was travelling.

It amazes me when I sit at a match how many supporters have no idea about even the basic rules of the game.

You're probably right, but it's easy to see why the ref acted as he did.

The tackle on Clarke was early on, and I do think Yates pulled back slightly, obviously not enough mind. Brave ref to change a game so early.

As for Lawrence, no doubt the ref should have taken either chance to give Tom a free kick immediately before his lunge, so he probably thought it would be harsh to send him off when the whole reason he was out of control was the previous fouls.

I'd also add Clarke's reaction to the tackle helped the Forest lad out, I'm not so sure it would've been reciprocated if the events were vice versa.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And the penalty claim for handball he ignored (as did Sky after replaying it once) and the dive he never booked. The persistent fouling by Yates.

He had a very ordinary game, where he set an early 'standard' (ignoring a bad challenge on Clarke) and then went on to ignore his 'standard'.

Watched this back as couldnt believe nothing was made of it...not the greatest image but definitely handball and dont see how it could be considered accidental considering where his arm is, should have been a booking, but outside the box so a free kick only.

Capture.PNG.4e5236f569578e98eb679858b804ae3f.PNG

On 09/11/2019 at 16:48, Sparkle said:

tell Rooney to fetch Phil Jones from Man U - has to be better than what we have available

Nooo thanks. What's Taribo West doing these days? He's still (allegedly) only 31yrs old, according to his passport ?

Archived