Rooney at Derby

therealhantsram

4 hours ago, Mountain Ram said:

Article from the Telegraph:

The end of the last international break of the year, into the long winter that can break a team or their manager, and little seems as engrossing as the reality that we are one Phillip Cocu sacking away from the launch of Wayne Rooney’s career in management.

The big man is back, to recall the unforgettable first recorded usage of the phrase in an England camp when Rooney announced his belated arrival at the team’s German World Cup base in the summer of 2006. Thirteen years later at St George’s Park last week, Raheem Sterling asked a similar question rhetorically of Joe Gomez. You think you’re the big man? Back in the Black Forest 13 years ago, no one had to ask. It was Rooney, and he was 20 at the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/17/englands-celebrated-players-often-fail-managers-dont-even-try/amp/

Incredibly disrespectful to our manager. 

(The article, not you @Mountain Ram)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

His effect on the team? My prediction? underwhelming. Not bad, still talented but not the legs and playing to where his team mates should be rather than actually are

When it's all done it'll be "oh yeah, he played for us for a bit you know"

Totally agree with this 

I honestly think he's going to be amazing for the club. 

Not only do I think his performances will be more than acceptable, but I hope he'll drive his teammates to greater heights just by being part of the squad, from training to matches.

He's head and shoulders talent wise above the rest of the squad, but instead of playing the Big Man I think he'll be relatable enough to inspire the team, rather than inhibit them, and will have a really positive effect come January.

58 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Not only do I think his performances will be more than acceptable, but I hope he'll drive his teammates to greater heights just by being part of the squad, from training to matches.

He's head and shoulders talent wise above the rest of the squad, but instead of playing the Big Man I think he'll be relatable enough to inspire the team, rather than inhibit them, and will have a really positive effect come January.

Agree with everything apart from January, I think as soon as he starts from the beginning of December we will see Derby slowly get better and better 

12 hours ago, Mountain Ram said:

Article from the Telegraph:

The end of the last international break of the year, into the long winter that can break a team or their manager, and little seems as engrossing as the reality that we are one Phillip Cocu sacking away from the launch of Wayne Rooney’s career in management.

The big man is back, to recall the unforgettable first recorded usage of the phrase in an England camp when Rooney announced his belated arrival at the team’s German World Cup base in the summer of 2006. Thirteen years later at St George’s Park last week, Raheem Sterling asked a similar question rhetorically of Joe Gomez. You think you’re the big man? Back in the Black Forest 13 years ago, no one had to ask. It was Rooney, and he was 20 at the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/17/englands-celebrated-players-often-fail-managers-dont-even-try/amp/

No doubt at all that Mel also has a juicy multi million pound clause for when Manu come calling, after Wazza's first season in management....

6 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I think the same.

I'm honestly expecting (hoping) for the same kind of effect Gary McAllister had when he signed for Liverpool.

I was a tiny tad apprehensive for a while - can't bloody wait now!

56 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I think the same.

I'm honestly expecting (hoping) for the same kind of effect Gary McAllister had when he signed for Liverpool.

I was a tiny tad apprehensive for a while - can't bloody wait now!

Man of the match in a winning European final, while also picking up two other trophy's?

That'll do pig, that'll do.

I'm hoping it goes a lot better than it did for Ashley Cole. 100 plus caps for England etc.

Whatever happens, it puts us under the spot light and whilst every other championship club fans will be looking at us to fail, there will be a lot of football fans from all over the world keeping their eyes on Derby County Football Club and here's hoping they and us are well entertained and our performances on and off the pitch are one's that make us all very proud to be Derby County fans.

C'mon Wazza..........

Dave Mackay all over again (I know its already been said but I've spelt it raite), there is no way on this earth that the signing of Rooney will not improve us. His passing and vision will make the team better straight away never mind his influence on the younger players.

Philip Cocu and Wayne Rooney at Derby.....just let that sink in, a few years ago it was Nigel Clough and Theo Robinson.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Dave Mackay all over again (I know its already been said but I've spelt it raite), there is no way on this earth that the signing of Rooney will not improve us. His passing and vision will make the team better straight away never mind his influence on the younger players.

Philip Cocu and Wayne Rooney at Derby.....just let that sink in, a few years ago it was Nigel Clough and Theo Robinson.

And last season had Lampard and Cole. Just imagine being a young player at Derby,  this season and last you could have worked and trained with over 400 international caps worth of quality from just 4 people. Insane. If that doesn't inspire you...nothing will.

5 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

And last season had Lampard and Cole. Just imagine being a young player at Derby,  this season and last you could have worked and trained with over 400 international caps worth of quality from just 4 people. Insane. If that doesn't inspire you...nothing will.

Absolutely right. If a second tier team can't improve with such football royalty then its time to give in.

It is extremely exciting having rooney at the club. He was an amazing player and even though he's past his peak he should be more than adequate for us. He's had a really good time in the MLS which is probably equivalent to the championship in general. I don't think he'll be as good as some people think he will and i definitely don't want him sitting in cm. I also think if Cocu does end up going in the next 18 months we cannot be tempted to give rooney the gig it'd be an unmitigated disaster. 

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It is extremely exciting having rooney at the club. He was an amazing player and even though he's past his peak he should be more than adequate for us. He's had a really good time in the MLS which is probably equivalent to the championship in general. I don't think he'll be as good as some people think he will and i definitely don't want him sitting in cm. I also think if Cocu does end up going in the next 18 months we cannot be tempted to give rooney the gig it'd be an unmitigated disaster. 

You sound really excited about the thought of him coming...

13 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I'm hoping it goes a lot better than it did for Ashley Cole. 100 plus caps for England etc.

Whatever happens, it puts us under the spot light and whilst every other championship club fans will be looking at us to fail, there will be a lot of football fans from all over the world keeping their eyes on Derby County Football Club and here's hoping they and us are well entertained and our performances on and off the pitch are one's that make us all very proud to be Derby County fans.

C'mon Wazza..........

Thought Cole did well, also remember a few players in interviews saying it was amazing having him around and in training.

Archived