Rooney at Derby

therealhantsram

We've had the transfer thread and the DC Utd thread... Now time for the fun to really start as we ramp up to his first game in January. 

My assumption up until now was that he would most likely be deployed as a no. 10... Like the role Lawrence played yesterday. 

But after yesterday's performance I wonder if his best position  in a diamond might be the role Holmes had yesterday. Playing a bit deeper. Transitioning quickly from defence to attack. Being able to hit Marriott, Bogle and Martin with long passes forward. And arriving late on the edge of the area fro the odd shot at goal. 

Getting genuinely excited at the thought of it. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’ll be the best player in the league wherever in the attacking areas he plays imo. Still surreal we’ve managed to sign a player of his natural ability, absolutely mental. Personally I think he’ll either be playing striker or number 10, dependent on who’s in form when January comes around. I’d probably suggest it’ll be the latter role. But we’ve all seen he can cover all sorts of other areas, including even at CDM if we really want him to, so it’ll be very interesting to see.

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

We've had the transfer thread and the DC Utd thread... Now time for the fun to really start as we ramp up to his first game in January. 

My assumption up until now was that he would most likely be deployed as a no. 10... Like the role Lawrence played yesterday. 

But after yesterday's performance I wonder if his best position  in a diamond might be the role Holmes had yesterday. Playing a bit deeper. Transitioning quickly from defence to attack. Being able to hit Marriott, Bogle and Martin with long passes forward. And arriving late on the edge of the area fro the odd shot at goal. 

I don't think he's got the legs for that role. For me, the middle two of the diamond have to be mobile and be able to get up and down the pitch to attack and defend at a moment's notice. That's why I think Holmes will grow into the role and form a good partnership with Shinnie, with the former perhaps utilising his dribbling ability to focus on the quick transition from defence to attack a little more than the latter.

If he replaced anyone in the diamond, it would be Lawrence IMO.

39 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think speculation on where he'll play in the formation isn't what's gonna happen - Essentially they'll be working out a formation that works with 9 outfield players and then saying "And Rooney" - He'll play wherever the hell he wants at any particular moment and STILL improve the side

I usually miss the New Year game when it's at home cos it's a pain getting back on New Years Day - But this one is unmissable

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think speculation on where he'll play in the formation isn't what's gonna happen - Essentially they'll be working out a formation that works with 9 outfield players and then saying "And Rooney" - He'll play wherever the hell he wants at any particular moment and STILL improve the side

I usually miss the New Year game when it's at home cos it's a pain getting back on New Years Day - But this one is unmissable

Good job you haven't got to, because an evening game on the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Pfft... Only coming because Rooney is going to be there... Tinpot... ?

Haha yeh pretty much

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Good job you haven't got to, because an evening game on the 2nd.

I know! And I start a new job on the 6th so don't need to worry about work until then! #winning #wayneing

Whatever his position i doubt he'll be up to 3 games a week which is what regularly gets served up in the championship, so he might be an occasional 10 to give lawrence a rest, or an occasional holmes replacement, or maybe even a second striker.

He may need some time to get up to speed - when we had ashley cole he took some weeks to build up from MLS pace. I realise hes a bit older than Wazza but the principle is similar. 

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Whatever his position i doubt he'll be up to 3 games a week which is what regularly gets served up in the championship, so he might be an occasional 10 to give lawrence a rest, or an occasional holmes replacement, or maybe even a second striker.

He may need some time to get up to speed - when we had ashley cole he took some weeks to build up from MLS pace. I realise hes a bit older than Wazza but the principle is similar. 

Think some would fancy him in place of Roos at the mo. 

4 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Everybody getting excited to see rooney playing for Derby but cocu has seen him in training for utd and decided on his new position 

The real reason why roos has kept his place for so long ?

His acting seems to have suffered a rapid decline over the years.

Archived