Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Because no decent taxi driver would accept a passenger who is incapable of coherent conversation 

They supposedly only had 4/5 pints based on similar BrAC results. Considering all taxi driver's I've ever used still gave me a ride home after 15+ pints, I doubt any taxi driver would have refused to give Keogh a ride home.

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

This is not about punishment. Keogh has injured himself. He can no longer do what he’s paid to do. He was offered reduced terms in reflection of this. Bennett and Lawrence are still fit and able to do what they’re paid for. 

So no differential treatment. It’s a very Sorry situation but the Club has done what it’s been left with little choice to do. No hidden agendas, no conspiracy. 

True, but that’s not how it will look to many people!

As I said the optics look bad!

30 minutes ago, SIWY said:

Whatever your take is on whether or not it was right for Lawrence and Bennett to play, it doesn’t surely doesn’t sit right that 2 players should receive support from the club while one player has his contract terminated.

Keogh was offered support - the club was offering to keep paying him (a reduced rate albeit) and he'd have access to our rehab/sports facilities. He refused to accept (his punishment, if you like for his part in his injury) and so the club has sacked him for gross misconduct (probably based on him being unable to now do the job he was contracted to and/or breaking terms of his contract).

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yes I agree but usually there would be a mention however abstract 

I can guarantee in Cocu's presser later he will say "It is not for me to say, it is between the individual and the club." Then 50 more questions from Sky Sharts News about the situation.

1 hour ago, LondonRam2 said:

...DCFC is a workplace just like any other.  The evening was a club event and therefore he was 'on duty' as Club Captain...

Devils advocate here...

I'm not even certain that bit is factual, is it? 
Maybe the bowling (originally planned to be Foot-Golf) was an official club event.  Maybe also the early evening meal?  But even that may not be the case... some players were not present, and at least one is known to have been spending the evening being given a piggy-back by his missus on the streets of No**ingham during this time. 
That hints at it possibly being a voluntary... and informal... event, to me.

But the "After 8 Club"?  After the arranged transport home?  Would this be seen as an official club event still?  Was Keogh therefore still "on duty" as club captain (If he was at all, during the day)?  Were the club even aware that these guys were still there, at this later hour, never mind that some were drinking above acceptable levels?

Just shows how little we mere mortals know!

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Most Professional footballers contracts will have clauses excluding them from 'undertaking high risk sports' but I am not privy to the exact wording. Taking part in the activity, skiing for instance can lead to the individual receiving a disciplinary action. The company will first investigate and the investigating manager will decide if there is a case for a disciplinary to take place. The disciplinary manager (I've done both in my company) will then investigate and decide two things, 1) Whether they believe he is guilty or not and 2) The level of punishment. The most severe punishment is gross misconduct which leads to an instant dismissal. The player could appeal this. So Keogh has been found guilty of gross misconduct whilst the other two have been found guilty but punished as far as they can without sacking them for gross misconduct.  Hope this helps.

I agree with the above and would further add

The other two offenders have been punished by the club and by the law, Keogh, until yesterday, went unpunished, I consider the clubs offer of half pay very generous, considering Keogh is unable to play and would use the clubs medical facilities to repair his injuries. Turning down such a generous offer is perhaps another example of Keoghs bad decision making I don't mean his on field decision making but his decision to get into a car that is to be driven by someone he knows\he suspects to be over the Drink\Drive limit. 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I had nothing but admiration for Keogh whilst playing for Derby county but I do not understand why anybody is saying the club have acted badly in any way during this whole episode 

Possibly because the clubs actions are deeming drink driving as a lesser offence than sitting in the back of a car. Possibly because the club are putting pound coins behind their decision making. (Not Keoghs salary but by not sacking the other two because they hold a value in the clubs books).  Possibly because they have released a pathetic statement which contradicts their actions.

So whilst the club hasn't legally done anything wrong IMO they are morally and ethically wrong in my eyes by their actions due to my first point above.

14 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

How can i get in trouble its what i have heard happened im just saying qnd it come from a reliable source to which i believe 

I heard Keogh told Bennett to rush home and return with a wheelbarrow (so they could wheel Keogh away) and Lawrence to run to the nearby petrol station to pick up a few bottles of beer. When Bennett arrived back at his house he realized he didn't own a wheelbarrow, so gave Lawrence a call to see if he had one. The petrol station shop was also closed so Lawrence couldn't buy the beers either. They both returned to the crash site empty handed much to the frustration of Keogh.

Edited by Ghost of Clough
Some or all of this may not be true

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Keogh was offered support - the club was offering to keep paying him (a reduced rate albeit) and he'd have access to our rehab/sports facilities. He refused to accept (his punishment, if you like for his part in his injury) and so the club has sacked him for gross misconduct (probably based on him being unable to now do the job he was contracted to and/or breaking terms of his contract).

He’s not actually done anything against the law or against club rules though has he? Sure, it wasn’t right of him to get in the back of the car with a drunk driver, but the accident wasn’t his fault seeing as he wasn’t behind the wheel. Keogh just made a poor decision (easily done when drunk) and has come worst off out of everyone!

I understand I am massively biased towards Keogh and it probably shows in my opinion on the matter, but hypothetically, if he was injured in any other drink drive related accident (say his wife was at the wheel), would he have had to take a reduced contract? Or is he being made a scapegoat here because of his status as club captain? I genuinely can’t help but feel like it’s the latter.