Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

I’ve just driven the route Tom and MB would have taken last night. To lose it would require a mixture of a lack of awareness, slow reactions and very high speed. 

it’s stupid and they’ll both know they’re lucky to a. Walk away alive and b. Walk away with a career still. Drinking is fine, driving is fine, drinking and driving? It’s never ever fine. I’m 24, I’ve made mistakes but never done anything that puts mine or anyone else’s life in danger.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have posted a clear notice at the top of this topic which asks members not to use this forum to create or spread unverified rumours from social media about the incident.

Posts are being removed, if continued warnings will be issued. 

If any member would like to question the removal of their post, feel free to contact a moderator privately. Most posts removed so far have been for the above.

1 hour ago, TommyPowel said:

Its you being ridiculous for your suggestion that they shouldnt be punished because they are multi million pound commodity,therefore suggesting status stops them being punished to harshly and has nothing to do with their crime.I personally am not sure but what i do know people do get sacked for committing a crime

Find where I have said that 

I fear that this season is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

An appalling lack of professionalism from two players who should be preparing for satdee.

oh well.

Step forward mitchell-lawson.  

I don’t think they should be fired. However, I hope they are appropriately prosecuted and, if that means jail time, so be it.

I find it hard to dismiss this as “people make mistakes” as I don’t believe any kind of drink driving can be dismissed as a mistake - it’s basic common sense, especially for two adult men. However, I don’t think people in more traditional jobs should be fired for drink driving incidents involving no fatalities, so it should be the same for footballers. However, as individuals in the public eye I do think the law should be more severe in any community service they have to carry out in addition to any time they may or may not have to serve.

Disappointed in the both of them, especially considering players under performing to the degree that they are would have better things to do mid week than drive around hammered.

6 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I must admit when I quoted you earlier in the thread the impression I got from you was a kind of let those who is without sin cast the first stone situation thus you were defending their actions, maybe I got it wrong but I still think a twenty something footballer these days has had tons more guidance on the dangers of drink/drug driving that a twenty something ordinary lad had in my day. 

Exactly this.

If you break the law, you break the law. No police officer will approach the wound-down window, see a drivers age and say “oh, sorry, didn’t realise you were under 27 - have a nice day and enjoy making mistakes you little rascal!”

There’s a lot in the news at the moment, of course, about certain people disagreeing with the law. Unfortunately, whether you like it or not, you do have to abide by it and nobody should be above it.

Will be very interested on Cocu's take on this...

He doesn't strike me as a 'boys will be boys' kind of manager.  

Neither player has been pulling up any trees and the team in general has started sluggishly.  Am sure he won't be able to believe how stupid and unprofessional this looks, how it could appear to fans the players feel about his leadership and reflects on his control.

In his position I would be sorely tempted to go as hard as I could on them. 

They're not going to get sacked let's face it all of that clamour is totally unrealistic. If it were 2 trainees then yes absolutely but not one international who will be worth far more to the club in sell on value.

I don't think we can even try a Adrian Mutu and sack them then make they pay back the value of their contact etc

Will be a heavy fine and probably a few matches away from the first team which is probably a good thing on reflection for both involved 

9 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I know someone who was sacked from their job for drink driving. Surely not that unusual? Plenty of HR related info out there

My husband absolutely would be sacked, he can’t do his job without driving so instant dismissal as per his contract  

I wouldn’t be because there is nothing in my employment contract or company handbook to allow them to. 

13 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

My husband absolutely would be sacked, he can’t do his job without driving so instant dismissal as per his contract  

I wouldn’t be because there is nothing in my employment contract or company handbook to allow them to. 

I'd imagine there is nothing in your contract or company handbook about you putting dog poo through your bosses letter box but I think that would lead to dismissal.

Gross misconduct section covers quite a range!

There but for the grace of God!!!! eh?

I am sure if you look back somewhere in your history that you might have been in a similar position. I am not saying going out and drinking then jumping in your car which is quite frankly stupid. But hands up who has had a few then driven to work the next day?

What annoys me is they are supposed to be athletes. I am not suggesting they can't go out and let their hair down now and then, When you are on top form great but when you are inconsistent, people will only wonder why you are.

I think as the warning says from the mods above..... people need to be very careful until the full established facts are with us. We know they’ve been arrested for drunk driving.

I know it’s boring, but let’s wait for the eventual prosecution and what punishment they will receive.

Also, and this what matters more to me, is how they react as individuals after the criminal case is over. Will it make them think about what they have done is wrong? Will they care, will it make them a better person..... it will say a lot to me if they are remorseful, realise how lucky they are and turn their life around..... 

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I think as the warning says from the mods above..... people need to be very careful until the full established facts are with us. We know they’ve been arrested for drunk driving.

I know it’s boring, but let’s wait for the eventual prosecution and what punishment they will receive.

Also, and this what matters more to me, is how they react as individuals after the criminal case is over. Will it make them think about what they have done is wrong? Will they care, will it make them a better person..... it will say a lot to me if they are remorseful, realise how lucky they are and turn their life around..... 

Yeah think I kind of agree with this.

A crime is a crime and it's up to the judiciary to decide the appropriate punishment.

If the punishment does not affect their ability to honour their contract with us then the club should take appropriate measures.

I would be a liar if I said I had not driven under the influence of alcohol when I was younger and, having thought about the situation, I think its hypocritical of me to expect them to behave any differently to how I did at that age. The job they do and the money they earn is irrelevant. I couldn't honestly say the reason why I may have drunk driven when I was younger was because I could not afford a taxi.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah think I kind of agree with this.

A crime is a crime and it's up to the judiciary to decide the appropriate punishment.

If the punishment does not affect their ability to honour their contract with us then the club should take appropriate measures.

Perfect. 

Custodial sentence may limit our choices but more extreme measures by the club only punishes the club.  They will go elsewhere and still be playing regularly and paid an obscene amount of money.  The only reason to sack them is if you have a solid belief that no Derby representative should be associated with the club if they have at any time ever committed a similar offence (WR being an obvious example)

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd imagine there is nothing in your contract or company handbook about you putting dog poo through your bosses letter box but I think that would lead to dismissal.

Gross misconduct section covers quite a range!

That’s quite different. We have a policy about social media and posting re work/colleagues. We can be disciplined. Before issuing that there was nothing they could do. 

You cant just decide what you don’t like about someone’s behaviour, it has to be a contractual issue. This is as it should be or we’d all be Insecure in our employment. (I’m an ex HR professional). 

Personally, I'm torn on this. I lost my uniformed job due to drink driving. However I knew other uniformed members that used to DD as the norm, anyone who had folks that lived in the 70's and says they didn't know that must have lived with saints. However, it IS wrong regardless of job, especially now and it can kill people, innocent people. I ended up in jail for my offence, never committed a crime since, so I want people punished. Is that me feeling bitter though? Maybe rehabilitation would be better for young lads? 

Bl**dy idiots both of them!  Should they be sacked? That's a difficult call, and only really one that Mel and Cocu can make. Personally, I'd keep them on, but for an extensive period (3 or 6 months for example) make them train,but also do all the jobs that are normally done by behind the scenes staff...so 6 months of marking out the pitch, mowing the pitch, cleaning the stadium, cleaning the kit and boots...in short keep them match fit, deny them any chance at playing and make sure they realise just how bl**dy stupid they've been and how grateful they should be to have a career that pays so well

Archived