Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

there's a massive difference between being "over the limit" and being "drunk". Just cos the Police twitter account says both drivers were "drunk", it doesn't mean they were.

I despise drink driving, and refuse to drink even one pint when driving. The only time I've ever even had a pint was that last Blackburn away day in the PL debacle season, had the pint at about 1pm, didn't drive til about 6pm, and still felt guilty and never did it again. I doubt I would have been anywhere near the limit at that time (think the limit laws changed since then).

Not sure what I'd do personally with them. It feels like a intelligence/education thing to me. If the alcohol didn't cause the crash, then the poor driving did, or a combination of both.

However, I don't think they should be treated more harshly or leniently than Johnny Factory-Worker or Julie Hairdresser would if they'd done the same thing.

The fact that someone could've been hurt or killed is irrelevant cos they weren't, so you cannot be punished as if they were. In the same way beating someone around the head with a baseball bat isn't deemed attempted murder!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

What potential does Tom Lawrence have? How long has he been here for? 3 years? He's done absolutely nothing. He's not of the age any more where you can say he has potential. He offers us absolutely nothing. 

Bennett has 8 bookings, 4 goals and 3 assists in his Derby career. But it's ok though cos he's got passion for the shirt. He's a terrible terrible footballer. 

It'll all come out what has happened.

I think they are both a complete disgrace. You know when you've had too much to drive. 

I'd happily never see either of them in a Derby shirt. 

Neither would be missed

Sorry, but it seems like you're trying to justify your opinion that they should be sacked for this due to their form on the pitch?

Would your opinion be different if it was Marriott and Waghorn? I'm not saying it would be, but at the minute you seem to be supporting your opinion that they should be sacked with your opinions on how they are on the pitch.

11 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Just reading this poo storm now after not having chance to check the news much today.  Its one thing after another with this club at the  moment, we are always in the news whether for good or for bad  this added to controversy around Rooney and numerous other controversies with FFP and a load of other stuff I can't remember is getting out of hand. Really stupid of both of them , I think they should both be punished ,maybe 2 weeks loss of wages ,community service , not play for a few games and a driving ban, but I wouldn't go as far as sacking them.  They are not my favourite players, and they have behaved like absolute tools here, but I think sacking them could screw the club over abit with FFP and the fact we don't have many wingers. If it  was Keogh and Marriott it would be interesting if people would still want to see them sacked.

Always been the same son,I don't see why you youngsters shouldn't "enjoy" the same drama/circus call it what you like as we old uns have .Take a look at There was some football too [100 years of DCFC] by Tony Francis.

12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

What potential does Tom Lawrence have? How long has he been here for? 3 years? He's done absolutely nothing. He's not of the age any more where you can say he has potential. He offers us absolutely nothing. 

Bennett has 8 bookings, 4 goals and 3 assists in his Derby career. But it's ok though cos he's got passion for the shirt. He's a terrible terrible footballer. 

It'll all come out what has happened.

I think they are both a complete disgrace. You know when you've had too much to drive. 

I'd happily never see either of them in a Derby shirt. 

Neither would be missed

You clearly don't understand the game!

Bad mistake by both but come on, the reaction is seriously over the top.

Nobody was hurt, Lawrence is probably still grieving and it’ll hopefully be a kick up there arses.

Its happened to Rooney recently, yet fans can’t wait for him to arrive. Very hypocritical 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Nope, think it was the day before and he was too drunk to remember, so your point is invalid.

There's a link off Google to Derby's website detailing the event.

Which conveniently doesn't work when you click it.. 

Someone got to that fast!

13 hours ago, rynny said:

Different people have different levels of tolerance to alcohol, it could be a case of that the drink that these had put them over the drink driving limit without actually affecting their driving ability

You mean they smash two cars up like that when they are sober!

8 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

There's a link off Google to Derby's website detailing the event.

Which conveniently doesn't work when you click it.. 

Someone got to that fast!

Stop throwing stones in your rented glass house.  Your shower of poo signed Marlon King, post 18 months at Her Maj's.  Great role model he turned out to be.

I am confident that Derby County will do the utmost in the rehabilitation of these players, and if that leads them to the termination of their contracts, so be it.

11 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Any chance they actually go to prison? I doubt it would happen but you never know.

I am sure that when their cases come to court DCFC will provide very expensive lawyers to defend them,so I don't think there will be any chance of a jail sentence,what sort of a sentence would hurt,certainly not a large fine because most footballers have a lot more money than sense,they should be made to do meanial jobs for the City,roadsweeping,clearing leaves off footpaths,cleaning hospital carparks,the sort of jobs that REAL Men do daily

Just now, GboroRam said:

My opinion - imagine being a supporter attending games, who has lost someone dear to them from a drink driver. How will they feel?

I couldn't say but such bereaved people must end up working with convicted drunk drivers and those who use mobile phones whilst driving.  Surely, these are much more difficult situations?

59 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry, but it seems like you're trying to justify your opinion that they should be sacked for this due to their form on the pitch?

Would your opinion be different if it was Marriott and Waghorn? I'm not saying it would be, but at the minute you seem to be supporting your opinion that they should be sacked with your opinions on how they are on the pitch.

No not at all. You were the one bringing up about not sacking a player because we've spent money on them, they've got potential or they play with a bit of pride or passion. I was responding to that. They're both not very good and don't offer anything and wouldn't be a miss. That's just their footballing ability.

Any player in this team did this, they should be gone. I don't care who it is.

Drinking and driving is disgusting. Sheer luck they didn't kill someone. Plus not to mention how fast they must have been going judging by the state of Lawrence's car.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

You clearly don't understand the game!

Well then a lot of our fans don't.

Mason Bennett is a terrible footballer. He's got more bookings than he has goals and assists in his Derby career. 

Lawrence turns up 1 in every 7/8 games. 

If think these 2 bring anything to this team then it's you that don't understand the game.

Archived