v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Not much wrong with midfield today.

Are you joking? Huddlestone and Dowell were the worst players on the pitch for us, by some margin. They were both awful in possession. Waghorn wasn't great either, but those two both had awful games at the same time, meaning our possession game was terrible.

A few points from me based upon previous games this season and tonight 

IMO....

Marriott, what has he got to do to start....what a finish. 

Lowe - showing great promise, surging runs at pace

Joz - Cant even be bothered to find the spelling of his name....simply shocking

Bielik - Looks good, seems to always have a great turn to get himself out of problems.

Waghorn - Big fan of his, but other than his two goals this season (that should have been at least 3) he hasnt offered much. Very disapointing performance tonight. was bouncing off him far too much. 

Lawrence - Against hudds he was brilliant, since then back to normality

Keogh - Very good as always, trying to get us going from the back and pushing forward. 

Roos - Didnt do anything wrong tonight but i just dont understand what he ever did to get in front of Carson before he left. I would give Hamer a go as Roos flaps far too much at things for me.

Dowell - a very poor mans Mount. Looks too lightweight, end product poor

Huddlestone - Too slow. Great vision, but for me too slow and laboured. 

Knight - Looks a great talent, quick on the ball, would like to see more of him. 

Clarke - Solid. 

Evans - Didnt get on tonight but has improved on last season for me. Wouldnt mind him in place of Huddlestone for mobility if nothing else. 

Bennett - Tries hard, good impact sub - Just hasnt got the quality needed to keep him in the side.

I think we really are a quality winger (dont think Paterson is going to solve our the problem) short. Rooney to come in January and for me be a CAM. 

.......Marriott has to start saturday!!!

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Waghorn - 4 A first touch on the 18 yard box and his second on the halfway line. I don't know how he played upfront on his own for Ipswich but I'm assuming it was chasing passes in behind? Back to goal looking to play off? Awful. 

Honestly it's just so incredibly frustrating to watch. Whether he's been told to or not is anyone's guess, but he plays like a big target man, holding off the defender behind him and wanting the ball into feet. Then the second it's played into him he seems to panic and just takes a massive touch backwards, often further back than the player who originally played the pass.

He's usually not quick enough to get in behind for a ball over the top and although at times he can link up well with the other players, for the most part he'll be just a little bit too clumsy in the tight spaces for what he's thinking to actually work. And unfortunately for him one of his biggest strengths (getting on the end of crosses) couldn't be utilised because Malone always played crosses to the back post, Lowe kept playing it behind the forwards, Jozefzoon didn't beat the first man and the rest of the team often put it too close to the keeper.

17 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Marriott has provided some hope right at the end. 

I would actually like to see something like this next game:

Roos
            Keogh          Clarke
Bennett           Bielik            Lowe
            Knight         Shinnie
                    Lawrence 
            Waghorn     Marriott

Bring Martin back on the bench in case Waggy has another game like that. He might not score but at least he has a good first touch still!

I saw enough from Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Bielik and Marriott in that game to maintain confidence for the season.

We just need to find our best team and kick on from there.

New manager. New league for him. Lots of new players. Short and stilted pre season. 

We'll get there. COYR!

Or, Martin plays behind the strikers in place of Lawrence...

Can't really see what Dowell, Josefzoom, Malone bring to the team. Lawrence can be brilliant but is far too erratic. Marriott lifts the team and provides a much needed spark and I too would like him to start. We need to be the team going ahead and not playing catch up. To be honest my heart sank when I saw the line up. And no I am not a doom and gloom merchant I just have high standards and there's nothing wrong with that!

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I agree with the going the over the top bit, but do you really believe this? Do you genuinely believe we looked like scoring at any point? We had a lot of possession which they gifted us, but we didn't really create anything clear cut, Marriott scored a wonder goal, but I think we could have played another 30 minutes and not scored.

I didn't say we looked like scoring. I don't think we looked clinical enough up top and I think a lot of that came down to how isolated Waghorn was at times and how many errors we made going forward.

But we controlled the played some better stuff than City did. Cut the individual Malone error out at it's a draw. I think if we'd scored on 50 mins we'd of definitely gone on to get a point, if not the win. 

Not primarily a formation issue as was overshadowed by inability to pass to a guy in a nice white shirt. Lack of urgency is just as bad with any formation. Malone flogged the game and a fundamental change was required at half time but did not happen.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I didn't say we looked like scoring. I don't think we looked clinical enough up top and I think a lot of that came down to how isolated Waghorn was at times and how many errors we made going forward.

But we controlled the played some better stuff than City did. Cut the individual Malone error out at it's a draw. I think if we'd scored on 50 mins we'd of definitely gone on to get a point, if not the win. 

I don't think it was about being clinical up top personally, to be clinical we have to create chances. Other than the one Lawrence missed, I don't remember us creating anything. Waggy definitely didn't have a good game tonight, but yes, he was isolated. 

For what it's worth, I thought Bristol were shocking too, certainly didn't deserve to win the game. 

Its gonna take time.

I'll not make big statements about a game I've only listened to, but it seems some old habits are still to be eradicated regarding mistakes and ponderous build up.

We'll be OK, Marriott getting nearer, Holmes getting nearer, Bogle to come back in and Lowe as wing back on the left.

Just need to get the snap into the attacking and cut out mistakes. On radio Derby Cocu gave the impression he really wasn't happy because he thought the team could've done better than they did.

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

You’ve given Malone a 6???

is that for being kind enough to not come out for the second half ??

he was atrocious

When? Besides the obvious error which bit specifically were atrocious? The diagonal to Bennett? The cleaning up of those ahead of him constant mess? The screaming and pointing to the left wing so he didn't have to keep going inside? 

Which bit apart from the error? He wasn't good and I'm not a fan. But apart from the error he did ok. Whereas the forward players were pooping out Bristol attacks. Huddlestone and Dowell just want to look pretty. 

We put so much pressure on our backline to defend, win the ball, build the attack, support the attack, lead the attack...

Just now, IslandExile said:

On the two or three times Zoon did cross the ball, you saw exactly why he avoids doing so as much as possible.

Exactly! Playing wide pretty much always means you need to put in a cross or two that might be at least 50-50. This bloke failed to put anything in that was the least bit threatening. All that possession against a back three and not a cross worthy of the name from the bloke!

I don't agree with the criticism of Lawrence... At least he tried to carry the ball, ran direct towards the goal and tried to make things happen.

You could argue that Dowell tried to be positive but I'm afraid he just doesn't have enough about him. We miss Duane.

You could also say we're too much of a "one man team"; the problem is he doesn't join until January.

Archived